PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a lodger

Central
29-03-2009, 12:56
Not on here :D

But just looking for advice on what I can do to get one. I have a 2 bedroom house and the rent is £550 a month. The house has Sky in it with full package, wireless internet and phone.

What should I ask per month for it?

Also one of my worries is I go to work and come pack to find my lodger has moved out taking my stuff with them. How would I overcome this?

Where can i advertise?

Any advice is greatful

Cheers

xpod
29-03-2009, 13:01
Also one of my worries is I go to work and come pack to find my lodger has moved out taking my stuff with them. How would I overcome this?

Try and get a friend to share with you possibly.

Central
29-03-2009, 13:02
I have asked hence why I am now going down the advertising route

Kymmy
29-03-2009, 13:06
References, photo ID a proper contract and a deposit should make sure that at least you place is semi-safe though there's no assurances that they won't run off with your stuff..

What sort of person are you looking for as that will depend on where you advertise..professional people can be sought in places like hospitals (staff areas), some supermarkets (sainsburies, waitrose, m&s notice boards) even at your place of work...

If it's a student (or even a post-grad if you don't like the idea of students too much) then try the student union..

As for price that's upto you, check the local estate agents for similar accomodation..don't tel them you;re renting but instead tell them you;re looking for a room and that way you;ll get an ideal price range

superbiatch
29-03-2009, 13:24
Try and get a friend to share with you possibly.

I really wouldn't advise this, not unless you don't want to be friends any longer :erm:

Its always harder to approach people you know if say for instance they've gone nuts on the phone and the bill is extortionate, or if there is a rent increase and your friend tells you they can't afford it IMO.

Its ok to say your rent is £550, but think of the increased costs. Electricity, gas, water not to mention council tax - you'll lose your single persons' allowance. And then there is a fair share of the 'luxury costs' - sky and the like. Price it appropriately taking into account any tax costs you may incur - not sure if its relevant for just having a lodger - you'll have to google that.

I think they may be some kind of 'lodgers agreement' like a tenancy agreement, but you'd also have to google this as i'm not 100% sure.

Raistlin
29-03-2009, 13:30
Don't forget as well that your current tenancy agreement probably prohibits you from sub-letting, you should check with the landlords before you go doing anything.

Kymmy
29-03-2009, 13:32
Letting a room is normally a shorthold assured tenancy...except a live in landlord has a lot more rights to evict a tenant than a non-live-in landlord ;)

---------- Post added at 12:32 ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 ----------

Don't forget as well that your current tenancy agreement probably prohibits you from sub-letting, you should check with the landlords before you go doing anything.

Good point Rob :clap: though not sure if a lodger counts as subletting, but yes there may well be a clause in the current tenancy agreement

Raistlin
29-03-2009, 13:38
If he's taking money for the room then it almost certainly does.

The reason this is a problem is that his tenancy agreement will have a clause in requiring him to vacate when asked to do so, if he sublets the house he could drop the landlords in all sorts of pooh if his tenant refuses to leave :erm:

Central
29-03-2009, 14:40
Landlord has no problem with it

MovedGoalPosts
29-03-2009, 14:47
A quick :google: for "lodger agreement" brings up quite a few downloadable suggestions.

Check your local newspaper for going rates. It's probably one of the best places to advertise. Other than that if there is a major emplyer nearby, sometimes their HR depts may try and assist employees looking for accommodation. I'd steer clear of agencies though, most of your profits would go on fees.

Check on your tax regulations. Most of the time the amount you earn won't affect taxable allowances, but if you get any tax credits or other stuff, it might offset some? Council Tax, if you currently get a single occupier discount, you will loose that entitlement.

Check your home and contents insurance policy, would they cover you for any losses. Do they need specific notice?

xpod
29-03-2009, 15:21
I really wouldn't advise this, not unless you don't want to be friends any longer

Pro`s & con`s i suppose.
Not quite the same as the OP`s situation but i`ve had friends renting my place back in Edinburgh for nigh on 5 years now and i`ve never had the issues i did with some of the previous numpties.I never hear when things are all ok mind you,i only ever get contacted when something bad happens :erm:

tweetypie/8
30-03-2009, 11:47
Not on here :D

But just looking for advice on what I can do to get one. I have a 2 bedroom house and the rent is £550 a month. The house has Sky in it with full package, wireless internet and phone.

What should I ask per month for it?

Where can i advertise?

Any advice is greatful

Cheers

one word central !! beware !! you dont know what you will end up with,remember the old saying ! if you want to know me come and live with me ! suss it well out.

Russ
30-03-2009, 12:31
Landlord has no problem with it
Tip - get that in writing!

AndyCambs
30-03-2009, 12:55
If you're offering Sky and broadband in the rental, it might be an idea to make these optional extras in the rental - so if the tenant doesn't want internet, then you can make some adjustment to the price.

For sample prices (and maybe a tenant) check here (http://uk.easyroommate.com).

Mick Fisher
30-03-2009, 13:24
In my experience Lodgers usually become jobless or subject to some other personal disaster at some point during the agreement and of course can't pay their rent. You, of course, being a regular decent person, don't throw them out immediately but cut them some slack. This ends up with them running up a large amount of arrears before they finally do a runner. So it is quite easy to actually end up making a loss.

Seems you've got to get as big a deposit as you can and be prepared to be a heartless wretch and throw them out immediately they get into trouble.

IMHO lodgers just ain't worth the hassle. :(