PDA

View Full Version : Online Backup Service

Sinate
28-03-2009, 12:59
Hi,

Anybody herd any more info on the new Online backup service from VM? My first guess is that they will match BT's service levels.

Cheers,

Steve.

Pushkar
28-03-2009, 15:22
It's part of the new 'V Stuff' from Virgin Media, probably the extras they were talking about.

You can backup/store your files/photos but how much space depends on what package you have, M/L have 5gb, XL Package has 10gb and XXL has Unlimited (Fair Usage applies obviously) - Works on Windows PC's only, not Mac or Linux.

http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/vstuff/

Jonathan90
28-03-2009, 15:41
Link is Forbidden TailZ

Peter_
28-03-2009, 15:44
It's part of the new 'V Stuff' from Virgin Media, probably the extras they were talking about.

You can backup/store your files/photos but how much space depends on what package you have, M/L have 5gb, XL Package has 10gb and XXL has Unlimited (Fair Usage applies obviously) - Works on Windows PC's only, not Mac or Linux.

http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/vstuff/
Dead link at the moment access forbidden.

tucker61
28-03-2009, 15:45
How on earth could we use the backup process. With STM. It would take forever to backup my 3gb of photo's

Peter_
28-03-2009, 15:46
How on earth could we use the backup process. With STM. It would take forever to backup my 3gb of photo's
You will be advised to upload outside of the STM timeframe.:D

AndyCambs
28-03-2009, 15:50
Dead link at the moment access forbidden.

I'm pleased you put that - I wondered what I was doing wrong!

Sinate
28-03-2009, 16:08
Thanks for the advance info everyone.

Cheers,

Steve.

Ignitionnet
28-03-2009, 17:05

Find a mate with another ISP that has decent upload such as Be or O2, take a DVD over and use his bandwidth to put your photos on there ;)

Jonathan90
29-03-2009, 02:23
Will that be allowed uploading from an ip outside vm's range? bit like webspace.

Sirius
29-03-2009, 09:51
Or you could sign up for a 50 meg connection which is not STM'd at this time.

I know i will get my coat :Sprint:

Hugh
29-03-2009, 09:52
I use MS Sky Drive - 25Gb.

I upload overnight, out of STM hours.

AndyCambs
29-03-2009, 10:22
I do wonder about privacy though. How secure are these online back up tools (not just VM but all of them) and not just from outside penetration but also curious employees?

Ignitionnet
29-03-2009, 10:40
Or you could sign up for a 50 meg connection which is not STM'd at this time.

I know i will get my coat :Sprint:

Given that anyone signing up to XXL now will likely spend half their contract STM'd or otherwise managed I couldn't recommend that. :)

---------- Post added at 09:40 ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 ----------

I do wonder about privacy though. How secure are these online back up tools (not just VM but all of them) and not just from outside penetration but also curious employees?

As secure as the rest of your data that isn't encrypted. If you are worried about your ISP snaffling your data best to not go on the Internet. If I worked for VM in an operational or engineering position and wanted to nose at everything going across your connection it'd be very simple and take a matter of minutes.

No more or less secure than emailling the stuff to friends. If it's highly sensitive - banking stuff, that video you recorded with the missus last night, etc, encrypt it first.

AndyCambs
29-03-2009, 10:44
Given that anyone signing up to XXL now will likely spend half their contract STM'd or otherwise managed I couldn't recommend that. :).

There's no STM listed on the site (http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php)for XXL

Ignitionnet
29-03-2009, 10:49
I'm not going into that discussion, I'm aware both what the site says, what the CEO says, and what will be happening once the rollout is complete.

I did say half the contract, meaning the last 6 months. STM or alternative management will happen any time after completion of rollout. Source Neil Berkett VM CEO.

mentalis
29-03-2009, 10:51
You will be advised to upload outside of the STM timeframe.:D

Is there an 'outside of the STM timeframe'? :erm:

xpod
29-03-2009, 11:36
Is there an 'outside of the STM timeframe'?

The wee small hours.:)

Caspar
29-03-2009, 21:19
I use MS Sky Drive - 25Gb.

I upload overnight, out of STM hours.

You can't integrate skydrive into your windows shell though can you? like a drive letter or a drag and drop capability?

I've tried Carbonite.com, which is good, with encryption as standard and shell integration...the only downside is that it only allows you to backup physical drives not network drivers or NAS drives :(

moroboshi
29-03-2009, 23:03
I use Mozy. $5 a month for unlimited storage. Took ages to backup all my stuff (around 100gb) and it was all done overnight for obvious reasons. Would be nice if we actually had a decent upload speed instead of the comically bad one we have now.

Amusing to see Virgin recommending people backup now though. I wonder if they're prepared for people complaining that their '20mbit' connection is taking hours to upload a few gigs. Virgin are very careful to hide their apalling uplaod speeds when advertising their products.

dragon
29-03-2009, 23:43

Some of them support clientside encryption, Jungledisk is a good example of this, uses amazon S3 to store the data but can encrypt everything client side before uploading.

Another trick would be to stick the backup copy of the data in a TC container then upload that instead of the raw data although that would be rather manual so not so good if you wanted an automated backup solution.

GazCBG
31-03-2009, 12:50
Hi,

Is there any more info on this VM Backup
Like when it be released ?
Can we backup anything on it like MP3's etc...
Can it be encrypted ?