PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a laptop

Ramrod
28-03-2009, 09:33
Hi, silly question time :dunce:
Whats the best way to fly with a laptop? Is it safer to pack it well and put it in a suitcase and brave the tender mercies of the baggage handlers?
Or is it better to have it in the hand luggage and carry it on yourself?
What about the xray machine at customs? Shouldn't affect the HDD, should it?
Answers on a postcard :D

DocDutch
28-03-2009, 09:35
carry it as handluggage. and with Xray just say you got a lappy in your bag they normally dont put it through afaik

gazzae
28-03-2009, 09:55
carry it as handluggage. and with Xray just say you got a lappy in your bag they normally dont put it through afaik

They always put laptops through these days, infact they make you take it out of the bag and put it through seperately.

I fly a fair bit with work and never had a issue with putting the laptop through the xray machine

Ramrod
28-03-2009, 10:17
Righty-ho guys. Cheers :tu:
The usual carry on electronics bag (phones, cameras, DS lites etc....) is about to get even heavier :D

Dai
28-03-2009, 11:00
NEVER in hold baggage !!!

You should see what they do with that stuff at some airports.

:shocked:

punky
28-03-2009, 12:32
Just to echo everyone else.

1. Always in your hand luggage.

2. You will have to take it out of the bag and scan it separately

3. The x-ray won't affect the hard drives or anything

4. Flying is such a pain in the arse these days.

Raistlin
28-03-2009, 13:19
You might want to leave the laptop in 'Hibernation' mode if you can as well. There's a chance that they may ask you to switch it on at the airport to prove that it is a laptop, if it's in Hibernation mode it will take less time to switch on - from there you can just shut it down normally before you take it on board :tu:

jrhnewark
28-03-2009, 14:55
You might want to leave the laptop in 'Hibernation' mode if you can as well. There's a chance that they may ask you to switch it on at the airport to prove that it is a laptop, if it's in Hibernation mode it will take less time to switch on - from there you can just shut it down normally before you take it on board :tu:Where have you experienced that?

Yeah, I'm pretty fed-up of them asking me to take *everything* out of my laptop back when going through security, only for them not to even have a proper look at it. It's just a pain in the arse.

Raistlin
28-03-2009, 14:57
Where have you experienced that?

I haven't but know people that have. It's simpler and quicker to switch a laptop back on from Hibernation (generally speaking of course) and therefore could save time.

I tend not to fly with my laptop if I can help it.

jrhnewark
28-03-2009, 15:04
I haven't but know people that have. It's simpler and quicker to switch a laptop back on from Hibernation (generally speaking of course) and therefore could save time.

I tend not to fly with my laptop if I can help it.Ahh, I see. Yes, mine's always in standby anyway.

It's probably not a bad idea not flying with a laptop - although very easy when you've got a netbook. I was almost very badly stung in Spain - spent £100 on roaming on my iPhone and then realised my iTunes on the laptop had swallowed 25MB... fortunately, I've only been billed £8.50 for it!

Definitely a case of traveller beware if you're travelling abroad - roaming charges really are a form of theft.

Raistlin
28-03-2009, 15:08
Ahh, I see. Yes, mine's always in standby anyway.

It's probably not a bad idea not flying with a laptop - although very easy when you've got a netbook. I was almost very badly stung in Spain - spent £100 on roaming on my iPhone and then realised my iTunes on the laptop had swallowed 25MB... fortunately, I've only been billed £8.50 for it!

Definitely a case of traveller beware if you're travelling abroad - roaming charges really are a form of theft.

Sounds like a lucy (and cheap) escape there.

Know what you mean though, the temptation to travel with alaptop increases as the size of the laptop decreases :erm:

Hom3r
28-03-2009, 15:13
The biggest pain is you go through the detector having removed all metal possible including your belt, and the bloody thing beeps.

The pratt wants you to hold your arms out but if you do you trouser will and do fall down, and you are left feeling like an idoit.

jrhnewark
28-03-2009, 15:14
Sounds like a lucy (and cheap) escape there.

Know what you mean though, the temptation to travel with alaptop increases as the size of the laptop decreases :erm:Yeah, I rang Vodafone (who kept me on hold for five mins at god knows how much - they really know how to squeeze it out of you, don't they?!) who told me £5 a MB! I guess it must be capped if you're using mobile broadband.

I don't think I could go away without my laptop, even if I do have my iPhone. The temptation to get a bit of free WiFi is just too high, and you never know when you might need it! And unlike my missus, I have got hand luggage full of books and make-up.. :erm:

punky
28-03-2009, 15:38

Yeah, I'm pretty fed-up of them asking me to take *everything* out of my laptop back when going through security, only for them not to even have a proper look at it. It's just a pain in the arse.

I have known it happen a couple of times in the US. Its not a matter of course, its only when customs are searching you (usually randomly) and after they have reason to suspect you're up to some kind of skullduggery. I've been done a couple of times at customs and they never checked it.

AndyCambs
28-03-2009, 16:02
Not many airports now require you to switch on electronic items - some however do require you to take the laptop out from the case when it goes through the x-ray.

Depending on the airline, you may be entitled to one carry on luggage plus a laptop case (most scheduled airlines e.g. British Airways have relaxed the restriction on one piece of hand luggage). If hand luggage is weighed, then I tend to stuff the cable and power unit in my pocket to save weight.
I have a laptop rucksack which I carry mine in - means you can use it at the airport. UK airports have wifi zones but they're chargeable. Overseas airports (US and Canada I know of) tend to have free wifi which whiles away the time waiting for the plane to board - plus you can check your flight is is actually on time!
Never put the laptop or anything of value in your checked baggage

Hom3r
28-03-2009, 18:22
I tend ensure all items are fully charged and put the plug in the suitcase.

I carry my PSP, Camera, TomTom etc in my pocket then one I've checked in and passed through customs I put them in my laptop bag.

altis
28-03-2009, 19:35
Never put any loose batteries in your hold luggage:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/batteries.shtm

Ravenheart
28-03-2009, 20:17

I recently saw them ask someone to switch on their laptop at Birmingham airport. It's either random or ethnicity has a deciding factor as none of the other passengers checking in at the same time weren't asked.

I always set the alarms off when I got through, so get a frisk and wave with the magic wand.. mind you I am part cyborg :)

Maggy
28-03-2009, 20:51
Personally I always with with a plane..laptops lack a certain aerodynamics...

sorry I couldn't resist...;)

AndyCambs
28-03-2009, 20:53

That actually crossed my mind - I couldn't quite see a laptop getting clearance from the control tower at Heathrow..

Hom3r
28-03-2009, 20:54

I resisted that, but wondered how long it would be.

Maggy
28-03-2009, 20:55
I resisted that, but wondered how long it would be.

I've been resisting all day...:D

Halcyon
30-03-2009, 18:33
Another vote for in your cabin luggage.

The way they throw the hold luggage around you'd have a big chance of getting the laptop damaged.

As long as you have your inflight mode switched on, having your laptop on the plane is great. Watch a DVD, or play games and help the time to go quicker.