PDA

View Full Version : New stm trial, what are the official hours?

|Kippa|
27-03-2009, 13:01
Basically I am in Blackpool which in the new STM trial area outlined here : http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/traffictrial/

From my understanding the traffic management hours for monday to friday are between ONLY between 16.00 hours to 21.00 hours.

Today I start downloading at 11am and about 12.10pm I see that traffic management has kicked in. I ring up customer support and he says that yes traffic management currently on, on my internet connection.

He went away and talked to someome else, I think it was the 2nd line support.

I explained that I was in Blackpool where there is the trial STM times. He said that the "normal" traffic managent hours applies between 10 and 3 as well as the new trial hours and that there was nothing that he could do.

So what are the offical traffic managment hours in Blackpool at the moment? Is he right in saying that traffic management should be on between 10am and 3pm in the trial area? If not, then he is wrong, could someone give me a number to ring to make sure that I don't get messed about, or a contact email or anthing else.

Could someone please clarify the hours in the trial area.

Ignitionnet
27-03-2009, 13:13
Rubbish. The new stuff is not in place on every bit of kit in the areas, just some of them, and it is not running side by side with the old stuff else it would be impossible to test its' impact.

Chances are that you are on one of the bits of kit that is still running on the old system.

|Kippa|
27-03-2009, 13:17
Eh? Broadbandings? Have you got threads mixed up?

Ignitionnet
27-03-2009, 13:22
Eh? Broadbandings? Have you got threads mixed up?

No sir.

Not all of Blackpool is on the new STM, just some of it. Your bit is evidently on the old system still.

No one CMTS/uBR will have both types of STM running on it.

The guy you were speaking to was either confused or didn't hear 2nd line properly.

Due to having consumed enough codeine to knock an elephant out I am perhaps not expressing myself as well as I could be ;)

|Kippa|
27-03-2009, 13:25
Thanks for the reply, at least now I know what is going on. :-)

Ignitionnet
27-03-2009, 13:27
Thanks for the reply, at least now I know what is going on. :-)

No worries and that's pretty much it, the trial is running in those areas just not on all the uBRs.

It's a bit annoying you don't know which one your uBR is until you trip the daytime STM mind :mad:

techyguy4
27-03-2009, 17:11
There are no official hours since it is a trial.They can change it even on weekly basis.
e.g. Timings: 11:00 to 22:00
STM Duration: 10 hours :-)

Milambar
27-03-2009, 18:09
Holy sh... They are insane?? 10hrs duration? Why not just say "Give us your money, but we aint gonna give you any service."

Sorry, but thats just a p* take.

techyguy4
27-03-2009, 19:00
Holy sh... They are insane?? 10hrs duration? Why not just say "Give us your money, but we aint gonna give you any service."

Sorry, but thats just a p* take.

Sounds unfair. But thats the way it is. They are trying to figure out the best way to manage the network.