PDA

View Full Version : Virgin wireless ... Msn, yahoo, skype:

R.Scott
26-03-2009, 02:47
Can anyone explain why these constantly fail to work on Wireless. Worked fine when it was wired up direct but since going wireless with a laptop, these have stopped working. I've tried all sorts from changing my 54g router to an N1. Even tried the direct wire but still no luck.
MSN fails to deliver messages though I can see my niece typing a message.
Yahoo, just a joke nothing comes thru what so ever.
Skype keeps quitting and restarting.
Other than the communication programs, everything else works fine.
Oh and I've also installed and reinstalled the programs to make sure I have the upto date versions and to solve the problem that way, but no luck.

This is my last chance to see if I can solve the problem, otherwise I think I shall be saying goodbye to Virgin Media and going back to BT who have a fantastic internet service.

Joxer
26-03-2009, 11:20
Try turning off the firewall, putting yourself in a DMZ or forwarding all the relavant ports.

R.Scott
26-03-2009, 11:40
Ive already tried that sweetheart, also forgot to mention, that I also use my laptop on my parents wireless (BT) and all the applications work Great on their connection, only when I come home to my Virgin nothing works.

Joxer
26-03-2009, 11:57
Can you ping or tracert to the relevant servers?

scs.msg.yahoo.com
messenger.hotmail.com (does not appear to respond to UDP ping ICMP may be different)
Don't know the Skype one.

Pushkar
26-03-2009, 12:00
Wirelessly you have a problem with your pc or your router, moving to BT won't help you except costing you more fees.

Have you tried with a different laptop/pc? It may have a virus of some kind.

Joxer
26-03-2009, 12:04
Had another idea - try getting the router to spoof your PCs MAC address, just out of interest...

R.Scott
26-03-2009, 21:49
Me thinx it could be the router which may not be playing ball with the modem.
Have Motorola Modem, linked up with Belkin N1 router (originally had a 54g belkin router).
Definately do not have any viruses or bugs, as I've tried this connection on my brother's laptop, also have a tower PC upstairs which is wireless too. All with same problem.

Tried the pinging, result:
Yahoo: sent 4 received 4 (lost 0%)
Msn: sent 4 received 0 (lost 100%)
whatever that all means!

Also have original cable attached to Belkin Router direct to Laptop with WIFI switched off, still no luck.

What's this spoofing thing? Am a bit of novice here, sorry.

Joxer
26-03-2009, 22:33
Ah, sorry, since you had already tried the DMZ and checked the correct ports where forwarded I assumed you knew your way around the router. In the wan settings somewhere (probably the advanced settings) there should be a button that says use PC MAC or some such.

merc2001
26-03-2009, 23:12
Me thinx it could be the router which may not be playing ball with the modem.
Have Motorola Modem, linked up with Belkin N1 router (originally had a 54g belkin router).
Definately do not have any viruses or bugs, as I've tried this connection on my brother's laptop, also have a tower PC upstairs which is wireless too. All with same problem.

Tried the pinging, result:
Yahoo: sent 4 received 4 (lost 0%)
Msn: sent 4 received 0 (lost 100%)
whatever that all means!

Also have original cable attached to Belkin Router direct to Laptop with WIFI switched off, still no luck.

What's this spoofing thing? Am a bit of novice here, sorry.

What connection speed are you supposed to be on