PDA

View Full Version : Old modems, what to do with them?

AdamD
24-03-2009, 19:08
I assumed they had to be sent back? Along with the router that came with the package, is that correct?

Does anyone know which address to send them to? and I assume it's not a freepost one

Peter_
24-03-2009, 19:12
If you have a electronics skip in your local recycling dump then just take them their next time you pass as the majority of modems will not be reused as they are either to old or outdated.

General Maximus
25-03-2009, 17:49
I always like to to keep mine for spare just in case, but when VM send you a new modem normally they send you a special box and slip to return your old one so they can recycle it.

Peter_
25-03-2009, 17:56
I always like to to keep mine for spare just in case, but when VM send you a new modem normally they send you a special box and slip to return your old one so they can recycle it.
They no longer offer that service any more, you get a new modem which is considerably smaller than your existing modem and the tiny box is to small to put your old one in, plus the is no return slip included, I had mine replaced 2 weeks ago and can vouch for what I have written above first hand.

You either bin the old one or recycle it yourself.

MovedGoalPosts
25-03-2009, 18:55
Are Virgin Media allowed to shirk their responsibilities this way? I thought there was a current EU requirement which obliges them to take the stuff back for recycling?

papa smurf
25-03-2009, 19:15
Are Virgin Media allowed to shirk their responsibilities this way? I thought there was a current EU requirement which obliges them to take the stuff back for recycling?

well as we say if you break it you just bought it;)

DrStrange
25-03-2009, 19:55
Does Virgin Media delete the MAC address of the old modem when you register the new one, or do they just add on the MAC address of the new one?

Peter_
25-03-2009, 20:37
Does Virgin Media delete the MAC address of the old modem when you register the new one, or do they just add on the MAC address of the new one?
The old modem MAC address is taken off the account and the new MAC address added

Halcyon
25-03-2009, 22:43
When mine got replaced I got a letter telling me to dispose of it in the recycling.

mmm
25-03-2009, 22:55

Waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) regs

http://www.netregs.gov.uk/netregs/topics/WEEE/default.aspx

Not immediately clear how they must comply but since Virgin only loan the modems it is them that has to pay for disposal I think.

AndyCambs
26-03-2009, 05:26
Waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) regs

http://www.netregs.gov.uk/netregs/topics/WEEE/default.aspx

Not immediately clear how they must comply but since Virgin only loan the modems it is them that has to pay for disposal I think.

I think I would class VM as a distributor of WEEE, in which case there should be a collection point or appointed agency.

nexus7
11-06-2009, 15:11
We recently had our broadband service in the UK upgraded and they replaced our modem with a new one since apparently the old one couldn't realise the new connection speeds.
We were told to throw out the old modem. Also, apparently we can't pass it on to another user, because the modem is somehow linked to the old company and can not be activated again.
Is this last point correct? ie the old modem is tied to virgin and can't be used by anyone else? Seems a shame to bin a perfectly good modem.
Thanks in advance for any advice/info.

Peter_
11-06-2009, 15:28
We recently had our broadband service in the UK upgraded and they replaced our modem with a new one since apparently the old one couldn't realise the new connection speeds.
We were told to throw out the old modem. Also, apparently we can't pass it on to another user, because the modem is somehow linked to the old company and can not be activated again.
Is this last point correct? ie the old modem is tied to virgin and can't be used by anyone else? Seems a shame to bin a perfectly good modem.
You could give it to a Virgin tech if you see one in the street or put it in the recycle bin when you visit the local dump.

nexus7
11-06-2009, 15:52
Thanks. What about the last point, about re-using the modem?

rick47
11-06-2009, 16:23
The tech took my old modem away but told me that I needed to dispose of the power supply when I upgraded from 20 to 50.

webrosc
11-06-2009, 17:06
I was sent a new modem and in the pack it told me to dispose of my old one myself.
Before i sent it off to the local recycling center i removed a couple of the internal components just to make sure no one else could use it for cloaning etc

Peter_
11-06-2009, 17:23
I was sent a new modem and in the pack it told me to dispose of my old one myself.
Before i sent it off to the local recycling center i removed a couple of the internal components just to make sure no one else could use it for cloaning etc
A pair of pliers to break off the coax connection usually works.:D

nexus7
11-06-2009, 21:04
My old modem was a Motorola SB5101E Surfboard Cable Modem and the new one Virgin replaced it with when I upgraded to a 20MB service was a 256 Ambit E08C013.00 modem.
Does anyone know how these 2 modems compare? I couldn't find any info for the Ambit modem, but from the specification sheet for the Motorola modem, the max download speed was 51 MB/S so I'm not even sure why it was necessary to change the modem.

Peter_
11-06-2009, 21:06
My old modem was a Motorola SB5101E Surfboard Cable Modem and the new one Virgin replaced it with when I upgraded to a 20MB service was a 256 Ambit E08C012.00 modem.
Does anyone know how these 2 modems compare? I couldn't find any info for the Ambit modem, but from the specification sheet for the Motorola modem, the max download speed was 51 MB/S so I'm not even sure why it was necessary to change the modem.
Because the Motorola will struggle using Docsis 1.1 on the platform unlike the Ambit.

Ignitionnet
11-06-2009, 21:17
Because the Motorola will struggle using Docsis 1.1 on the platform unlike the Ambit.

Are you serious? I've seen them running EuroDOCSIS 2 with no problems, and they are certified EuroDOCSIS 2 compliant hardware.

Are you actually seeing the modems struggling on the DOCSIS 1.1 platform?

nexus7
11-06-2009, 21:41
I was upgraded to 20mb before the new Ambit modem arrived and continued to use the internet on the old Motorola modem until the new one arrived. The Motorola modem seemed to work fine on the 20mb connection.

VMboy
11-06-2009, 21:51
I had a phone fault recently, and when I asked the engineer if he would like to take my old modem away he sort of declined and said that he would have to write it in his log, and it would be better if I took care of the disposing myself.

Peter_
11-06-2009, 22:16
Are you serious? I've seen them running EuroDOCSIS 2 with no problems, and they are certified EuroDOCSIS 2 compliant hardware.

Are you actually seeing the modems struggling on the DOCSIS 1.1 platform?
I have seen them being used on US networks using DOCSIS 2 burt as they are relatively old kit they are being replaced to ensure stability for everyone.

nexus7
11-06-2009, 22:26
Thanks Moldova. I guess the Motorola was getting a bit old and the Ambit seems to be working fine now. :tu:

Peter_
11-06-2009, 22:28
Thanks Moldova. I guess the Motorola was getting a bit old and the Ambit seems to be working fine now. :tu:
I had the Motorola and now have the Ambit and find it works fine and it has a smaller footprint if you stand it on its side.

webrosc
12-06-2009, 03:07
A pair of pliers to break off the coax connection usually works.:D

very true, but replacing a coax connector is alot easier than replacing a component of unknown value and type :p:

Peter_
12-06-2009, 06:27
very true, but replacing a coax connector is alot easier than replacing a component of unknown value and type :p:
When you snap off the coax connector you damage the case and the wiring so making repairs to the modem not possible.