PDA

View Full Version : wedding speech

liamboyle06
24-03-2009, 14:33
hi all

getting married next week, but just dawned on me i have to make a speech as well
i always thought it was just the best man that makes a speech.

So what do i put in it?

Liam

Chris
24-03-2009, 14:39
The first thing to bear in mind is that formally, your speech is a response to the toast to the bride and groom that has just been made by the bride's father, and a proposal of a toast to the bridesmaids. So you start by thanking your new father in law, and your new mother in law, for putting on a splendid bash and letting them marry their beautiful daughter. Of course you also thank said beautiful daughter for becoming the new Mrs Boyle06. Then you thank everyone for coming. Then you thank anyone and everyone who helped to put the wedding on (ushers, best man, any other friends/family who helped). Finally you thank the bridesmaids and propose a toast to them. Then you sit down.

You actually have the easiest of the three speeches because you're not expected to reminisce, tell funny stories or get everyone laughing or crying. Feel free to be a wit if it comes naturally, but don't stress about it.

When the best man gets up, formally his only duty is to respond to the bridesmaids' toast on their behalf. You may remind him of that but I don't imagine it'll stop him telling a few stories. Just grin and bear it, and beat him up afterwards if necessary. :D

EDIT

Oh, and congratulations!

Gary L
24-03-2009, 14:41
Thanks for coming and cheers.

liamboyle06
24-03-2009, 15:13
Thanks for coming and cheers.

Thats something I would likely have said.

---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 15:12 ----------

Thanks very much, was not sure if iu had to do a whole big thing, but am sure i can just says thanks to everyone.

Raistlin
24-03-2009, 15:31
Whatever you do, if one of the Bride's Maids asks you if the dress is making her bum look big don't say "No love, it's the cake and sweets that's doing that".

:D

Gary L
24-03-2009, 15:34
Whatever you do, if one of the Bride's Maids asks you if the dress is making her bum look big don't say "No love, it's the cake and sweets that's doing that".

Or tell her if she's not doing anything later you'll help her burn the calories off.

haydnwalker
24-03-2009, 16:06

I nearly put that in mine! I decided to leave it out on the day though cos my best man was her boyfriend :)

---------- Post added at 16:06 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

I was up until 1am on the morning of the wedding writing my speech! The best man was winging it (it did work fairly well). Try and put a subtle joke in the speech, nothing hilarous though. Just general thank yous and how good the bride looks etc and how much you'll love her doing the ironing and dishes (no - i meant how much you love her - doh!)

boroboi
24-03-2009, 16:36
I nearly put that in mine! I decided to leave it out on the day though cos my best man was her boyfriend :)

---------- Post added at 16:06 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

and how much you'll love her doing the ironing and dishes (no - i meant how much you love her - doh!)

I'm going to have to remember that one!

alferret
24-03-2009, 20:25
I got married last year and kept my speech very short, in fact so short it was 1 word: ENJOY.