PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media to offer 150mb service in 2010

Trent
24-03-2009, 12:53
Hi all,

Some interesting news on BBC News : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7961135.stm

EBD3000
24-03-2009, 12:58
Perhaps next year they should concentrate on network stability and the oversubscribed areas rather than offering another tier of speed that will benefit few.

<cynic hat on>
Of course stability isn't newsworthy
<cynic hat off>

Trent
24-03-2009, 13:00
Personally I am hoping BT's competition will be good for us

*sloman*
24-03-2009, 13:06
I have just seen this on BBC news.

Same old same old, you can 150mb connection for 30mins then we will STM your Ass for 7hrs!

Plus "If BT were to meet the time frame they have suggested - of finishing by 2012 - I would see us as having much, much faster upstream speed, running at a minimum of 100Mbps downstream and possibly more. You can see a real opportunity there."

Maybe a 20mb or even a 50mb upstream!

"Mr Berkett said the firm had not ruled out the possibility of opening its own network to other ISPs. " Please be Sky or Be*

Gary L
24-03-2009, 13:11
It's just all talk and a reaction to BT soon wiping the floor with them.

We've had all this talk before from Virgin saying that it's possible because the way they do it means that there will be no problems with speed.
as long as the speed only lasts for 20 mins or so and is allowed to cool down for a few hours.

AdamD
24-03-2009, 13:17
Heh, if VM ever offered 100mb, or 150mb, it'd be 24 hour traffic managed and with a 2.5mb/5.0mb upload.
Cost wise, I'd be willing to bet £75 a month for 100mb and £100 a month for 150mb internet.

Ignitionnet
24-03-2009, 13:17
It's just all talk and a reaction to BT soon wiping the floor with them.

BT couldn't wipe a floor with a mop - let's be realistic here please. Virgin do the bare minimum to stay ahead of BT, which really isn't hard.

telfordcable
24-03-2009, 13:21
I told you that last night. I was right. Virgin Media and BT are now war to war. I do agree with you all, no point of bring 100Mbps to 150Mbps if STM are still there and wondering how much is activation fee with new modem will cost us ? and how much monthly payment will cost us ? I ask my mate (teamleader) later this week.

Gary L
24-03-2009, 13:26
BT couldn't wipe a floor with a mop - let's be realistic here please. Virgin do the bare minimum to stay ahead of BT, which really isn't hard.

We are being realistic. the bare minimum is saying a higher number but not actually being able to provide it. they're seeing the competition and are shouting higher numbers to get us back on side.

broadbandking
24-03-2009, 13:26
Upload speed will be something like 2.5Mb up wooo hoooo

Gary L
24-03-2009, 13:27
I told you that last night. I was right

and don't they all feel silly now? :D

telfordcable
24-03-2009, 13:27
No, wrong ! Upload will be 25Mbps !

Ignitionnet
24-03-2009, 13:31
I told you that last night. I was right. Virgin Media and BT are now war to war. I do agree with you all, no point of bring 100Mbps to 150Mbps if STM are still there and wondering how much is activation fee with new modem will cost us ? and how much monthly payment will cost us ? I ask my mate (teamleader) later this week.

Team leader of what?

Congratulations on stating the obvious though, BT do a big announcement VM are hardly going to say nothing. This is just PR, nothing more yet.

---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 ----------

No, wrong ! Upload will be 25Mbps !

You really do talk rubbish. The product will not be finalised yet, the upload and download rates on 50Mbit weren't confirmed until a matter of weeks before commercial release.

Neil Berkett himself doesn't know what the upload will be.

telfordcable
24-03-2009, 13:32
Thought Neil say 100Mb in 2012 ?

I am sure ofcom won't allow Virgin Media to get 150Mbps in early as 2010 try to push BT into 2012?

Ignitionnet
24-03-2009, 13:34
Thought Neil say 100Mb in 2012 ?

I am sure ofcom won't allow Virgin Media to get 150Mbps in early as 2010 try to push BT into 2012?

You what?

Ofcom will not stop Virgin Media from releasing higher bandwidth products just because BT are too cheap to run FTTP/O and want to keep the UK on copper for as long as possible.

Neil said 200Mbit by 2012.

Retrovertigo
24-03-2009, 13:35
Perhaps next year they should concentrate on network stability and the oversubscribed areas rather than offering another tier of speed that will benefit few.

<cynic hat on>
<cynic hat off>
Worth quoting and repeating this post. I am sick of reading about areas getting 50meg, proposed faster speeds in the future etc. When they cannot even supply a stable 20meg connection in my area. It has been confirmed as being over subscribed and with no date for upgrades. Yet they spout this stuff to the press. Depressing.

Welshchris
24-03-2009, 13:36

<cynic hat on>
<cynic hat off>

i second that

Gary L
24-03-2009, 13:36
Neil Berkett himself doesn't know what the upload will be.

Neil Berkett probably doesn't even know if it's possible for longer than 1 minute in a 24hr period. but they'll probably work it out for him closer to the time.

telfordcable
24-03-2009, 13:37
I hope Neil let BT to run up to 200Mbps by using Virgin Media network as a open source to many isps. It would be good benefit to Virgin and Profit shares. I do hope Sky will join Virgin Media to share network.

jamiefrost
24-03-2009, 13:39
What have Ofcom got to do with when Virgin choose to roll of 100Mb+ :confused:

As said before all they will do is stay ahead of the competition buy doing as little as possible

JJ

Gary L
24-03-2009, 13:47
What really annoys me is that Virgin don't like you running. they tell you off and punish you for it. then they start selling nitrous powered trainers.

Can I run in these?

DYFD!!

Everyone outside the building thinks we're wizzing around the place, but if only they could see through the blacked out windows Virgin installed.

telfordcable
24-03-2009, 14:03
Why is Virgin Media sort out 10 / 20 / 50 Mbps problem lately ??? They need to sort out this problem first before getting 150 Mbps.

Don't tell me you going to rush and sign up 150Mbps at £100 a month then throttling you down to 10Mbps all day and moaning about speed!

Gary L
24-03-2009, 14:07
Why is Virgin Media sort out 10 / 20 / 50 Mbps problem lately ??? They need to sort out this problem first before getting 150 Mbps.

Don't tell me you going to rush and sign up 150Mbps at £100 a month then throttling you down to 10Mbps all day and moaning about speed!

It is starting to sound pathetic already isn't it.
it's starting to sound that that's it's sole purpose. to sell and buy it for the high figures, but it's not actually a reality which has been proven already.

One could even say that it's sort of being irresponsible.

telfordcable
24-03-2009, 14:09
I think Virgin Media is after the customer's money ! Once you signed up and soon after that they don't care about your speed problem or your area UBR problem as they kept telling you like this: is your pc got a virus to slow down your pc ? i cannot tell you when your area will be fixed UBR and so on ..... they just don't care !!!

They want money ! Not the network problem.

I am not surprise if 150Mbps will cost £125 a month !!! If that so, I will NEVER SIGN UP !!!

popper
24-03-2009, 14:38
right take a breath and relax ;)
i do wish the average sheeple would once in a while scratch the surface in these news reports and headlines etc,the key being remembering the quotes we already know.

what do we know about Neil,
1: he has stated he wants to see 200Mbit/s down by 2012

given the real theoretical limit of docsis3 (with 125x125 is infact 5Gig down 3 Gig up), HOWEVER the current DS3 thats available and likely to stay that way for the medium term is 4x4 bonding channels thats your theoretical 200Mbps downsteam speeds.

so it appears he's now revised his stated 200Mbit down to 150Mbit/s download as you dont run your CPE (the VM 4x4 only DS3 cable modem modem sat on your desk)kit at anywere near 100%

2: Neil has stated his dislike of "network Nutrality" and a wish to
cash in on individual data flows to and from individual subscribers.

he's clearly been listening to the Allot sales teams , read and been hooked by their pitchs, for instance this

"
http://www.freepress.net/files/Deep_Packet_Inspection_The_End_of_the_Internet_As_ We_Know_It.pdf

DPI equipment manufacturer, Allot, published a marketing brochure touting its ability to increase ARPU (Average Revenue Per User) through “Tiered Services” and “Quota Management.”

41Allot created a tool that “enables service providers to project potential revenues and profits from setting up a tiered service infrastructure.”

42 Even more blatantly, one of the “Service Provider Needs” listed by
the company is to “reduce the performance of applications with negative influence on revenues ..."

and from that bbc quotes
"
Mr Berkett said the firm had not ruled out the possibility of opening its own network to other ISPs.

He said: "We had this conversation with a bunch of investors recently. Our position is 'Let's prove the market'.
"Wholesaling is not off our agenda but right now it is not a priority for us."

He added: "Who knows, by the time BT have rolled out their next generation network we may be in position to explore wholesale."
"

be clear on what he's said there, yes its PR in response to the BT thing, But look again, hes saying he's spoke with investors?, the conclusion seems to be: it might be nice to "prove the market" and give the impression VM will...., But it wont happen any time soon unless theres pressure from 3rd partys to do so.... and someone foots the bill, perhaps he's looking for a handout from these very same investors.

to recap: it appears Neil doesnt care about the speed as such, its just a means to an end, were he can try and find a way to bring in his (ALOT's)version of metered internet, on a per application rather than per Byte business model, and in taking this app route your average download speed only sheeple dont see it coming as all they see is the BIG No. willy waving download rate.

Trent
24-03-2009, 14:45
[QUOTE=popper;34761045]right take a breath and relax ;)
i do wish the sheeple would once in a while scratch the surface in these news reports and headlines etc,the key being remembering the quotes we already know.
/QUOTE]

I hope your comment was aimed at someone else because if it was aimed at me then I take offence. I am no sheeple... I merely qouted a respected news institution and if you beleive it or for that matter any one else's opinion to be wrong then fine comment on it but you dont need to be rude!

Ignitionnet
24-03-2009, 15:38
If you're offended by someone possibly calling you a sheeple I would reconsider usage of Internet forums, bad idea to do so if so sensitive will only end in tears.

FWIW I don't think he was referring to you or anyone else specifically.

popper - still no Allot kit of the type required to throttle appropriately on the cable network, besides DPI is expensive and STM is not.

sk8er_boi6000
24-03-2009, 16:22
If this ever makes it into the realm of reality then Virgin need to actually upgrade their network, and not just screw everyone with STM. Also the rather slow pace at which the 50mb is being rolled out doesn't exactly give me the greatest confidence in them

Ignitionnet
24-03-2009, 16:50
If this ever makes it into the realm of reality then Virgin need to actually upgrade their network, and not just screw everyone with STM. Also the rather slow pace at which the 50mb is being rolled out doesn't exactly give me the greatest confidence in them

It's an extremely fast paced 50Mbit rollout, too fast infact which is why it's very rushed.

telfordcable
24-03-2009, 17:46
been told that virgin media 100 to 150mb set up fee will be £120 and the monthly service charge for this will be £135 a month.

Gary L
24-03-2009, 17:49
been told that virgin media 100 to 150mb set up fee will be £120 and the monthly service charge for this will be £135 a month.

Is that VAT inclusive price?

nodrogd
24-03-2009, 17:56
This is a obvious response to BT's list of FTTC exchanges being released.

Most of them are in Virgin cabled areas.

Chelmsford - Essex
Watford - Hertfordshire
Hemel Hempstead - Hertfordshire
Leagrave - Bedfordshire
Luton - Bedfordshire
Canonbury - London
Chingford - London
Edmonton - London
Enfield - London
Highams Park - London
Tottenham - London
Thamesmead - London
Woolwich - London
Bury - Greater Manchester
Didsbury - Greater Manchester
Failsworth - Greater Manchester
Heaton Moor - Greater Manchester
Oldham - Greater Manchester
Rusholme - Greater Manchester
Belfast Balmoral - Belfast
Dean - Edinburgh
Glasgow Halfway - Glasgow
Glasgow Western - Glasgow Scotland
Cardiff - Cardiff
Taffs Well - Rhondda Cynon Taf
Halifax - West Yorkshire
Pudsey - West Yorkshire
Calder Valley - West Yorkshire

TheDon
24-03-2009, 17:58

I've been told that the modem will be free in boxes of cornflakes, and the monthly charge will infact involve VM paying everyone on 150mb £50 a month to use the service.

My information is just as accurate as yours. Your "team leader" knows nothing. The ONLY people who know anything about future products and pricing are extremely high up, and they wouldn't dream of leaking details because their 6 figure salaries depend on them not doing so.

Gary L
24-03-2009, 18:07
My information is just as accurate as yours. Your "team leader" knows nothing. The ONLY people who know anything about future products and pricing are extremely high up, and they wouldn't dream of leaking details because their 6 figure salaries depend on them not doing so.

Come on. you have to give him some credit. he's already been right about what he's said. why should this one be any different?

I want to know if he's got any contacts close to Berkett. tell us if he's sweating like a pig any more than usual :D

lymmranger
24-03-2009, 18:17
I just dont seem the point of being on any of the higher packages I am on 10 meg and...
...Paying more for a higher speed package would really anoy me
- all that potential speed I cannot use due to STM and network oversubscription

......will virgin be holding a lottery type draw for the one individual customer who will actually get these speeds???

......will they finally devise a fair way of actually downloading a music track in under 10 seconds (10 meg) - or will they change the advert to say you can download a music track in under 10 seconds once a month on a wednesday at 3am if you are a good customer and we like you

jcm193
24-03-2009, 18:29
been told that virgin media 100 to 150mb set up fee will be £120 and the monthly service charge for this will be £135 a month.How can Virgin Media justify £135 a month especially when you can get the 50 meg service for £35 a month would it not make sense to charge £70 for double the service, you would have to be mad to outlay that type of money just for broadband this will be a complete non starter in opinion.

broadbandking
24-03-2009, 18:33
Berkett confirmed higher speed BBI anyways so I could have took a guess that VM will do 100Mb soon plus they was trialing it in the lab when 50Mb was been trialed on customers so telfordcable info is outdated and well known anyways, so he source is full of BS.

Gary L
24-03-2009, 18:36
I just dont seem the point of being on any of the higher packages I am on 10 meg and...
...Paying more for a higher speed package would really anoy me
- all that potential speed I cannot use due to STM and network oversubscription

......will virgin be holding a lottery type draw for the one individual customer who will actually get these speeds???

......will they finally devise a fair way of actually downloading a music track in under 10 seconds (10 meg) - or will they change the advert to say you can download a music track in under 10 seconds once a month on a wednesday at 3am if you are a good customer and we like you

In a survey of 2,000 bored housewifes. 1,967 said it wasn't who had the biggest, but who could keep it up the longest.

General Maximus
24-03-2009, 18:55
In a survey of 2,000 bored housewifes. 1,967 said it wasn't who had the biggest, but who could keep it up the longest.

well said dude, as muchn as I have always wanted more speed, 50mbit down is more than enough for anything i can imagine doing. The 2 things they need to do is upgrade the network so everyone can get their sustained speeds and to increase the upload juice.

Guaranteed un-stm'd 50mbit * 10mbit is far more appealing to me than 150*20 with stm

BenMcr
24-03-2009, 19:01
Why should there be any need for a set up fee that high? the Docsis 3 modems going in for 50Mbit are more than capable for 150Mbit

So it should just work like a normal tier upgrade for those already on 50Mbit or would be the £80 fee for those on the lower tiers

Wouldn't be able to do Wireless with it though

How can Virgin Media justify £135 a month especially when you can get the 50 meg service for £35 a month would it not make sense to charge £70 for double the service, you would have to be mad to outlay that type of money just for broadband this will be a complete non starter in opinion.
Maybe because those figures are completely made up?!

Gary L
24-03-2009, 19:03
well said dude, as muchn as I have always wanted more speed, 50mbit down is more than enough for anything i can imagine doing. The 2 things they need to do is upgrade the network so everyone can get their sustained speeds to increase the upload juice.

Guaranteed un-stm'd 50mbit * 10mbit is far more appealing to me than 150*20 with stm

The truth is there's nothing to use the speed with really. but there are people who think that the increased speed means more seconds and minutes knocked off.
They keep giving examples of how fast you can download certain things, but eventually you'll have to hit the speed of the server which will affect them stated figures.

It's like having a 1,000 MPH car. all the other 400 MPH cars have the same 3.4 sec 0-60 time as this 1,000 MPH car, but nobody has found a road where anyone has done even 300 MPH yet.

Russ
24-03-2009, 19:19
Whilst we appreciate any information our members have for us, we ask that people only post what they can be extremely sure of.

Sirius
24-03-2009, 19:27

Will you please stop posting verbal cow muck. This has gone beyond the joke it was and is now just making you look like a right numpty.

You are now on my never to be believed list .

graf_von_anonym
24-03-2009, 19:33
This is a obvious response to BT's list of FTTC exchanges being released.
Most of them are in Virgin cabled areas.

Most of them are areas with relatively high population densities, which influences both BT's decision to use them for the trial and the presence of cable. The IPSTREAMX trials took place in similar reasons for similar reasons.

That said, I'm sure that BT will make much of the Fibrous nature of their offering; the state of broadband marketing in the UK means that "unlimited" doesn't mean what you'd expect it to mean, "fibre-optic" is based on proximity, and BT can claim to have better wireless routers because of, um, something.

Personally, I'm waiting for them to quintuple bond DOCSIS 4.0 channels so I can get tea, coffee, milk and cream delivered straight to the home.

KingDaveRa
24-03-2009, 20:19
VM really do need to stop chasing speeds, and focus on sorting out their network in the heavily loaded areas.

Besides, these uberspeeds start to see dimishing returns. Over about 50Mbs, I think you're not going to see much benefit, unless there's loads of you all trying to download loads of stuff at once. Even bursty traffic (which is what most folk produce) doesn't burst much over a few meg a second. We have a gig connection at work, and that is barely getting over 50Mbs, occasionally peaking a little higher when somebody starts a big download. And that's with a couple thousand PCs behind it!

I'd rather have reliable, and dependable, than "OMG SUPER TURBO PHATPIPE!".

popper
24-03-2009, 20:38
another neil quote regarding upstream (rare for him to mention upstream so keep that handy), he doesnt define the upstream speed OC, but do we know of a BT quote for theirs?, as neil said:

http://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/broadband-news/150mb-mega-fast-broadband-on-the-cards-for-virgin-media
"...
Speaking to the BBC, Virgin Media’s chief executive Neil Berkett revealed, in theory, the company’s own FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) network has the potential to offer customers speeds of 200Mb.

Commenting on the competition between the two major broadband providers, Berkett said:
“If BT were to meet the time frame they have suggested – of finishing by 2012 – I would see us having much, much faster upstream speed, running at a minimum of 100Mb downstream and possibly more.” ..."

OC both UK vendors dont/cant match "Japan Cablenet" data rates, and "Japan Cablenet" happened to be perhaps the worlds first to start deploying REAL DOCSIS 3 bonded Upload's, as they are using the Only DS3 kit to be officially certifyed to date for bonded Uploads in their headends, unlike virgin and their less expensive kit ;)

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=174010
"...
Japan Cablenet selected the ARRIS Cable Modem Termination System solution in 2009 to deliver ultra-fast wideband data service to its customers.

The ARRIS CMTS solution consists of the DOCSIS 3.0-qualified C4 CMTS and DOCSIS 3.0-certified WBM760C wideband modems, capable of delivering data speeds up to 160 Mbps, along with carrier-grade voice service.

The technology is based on the DOCSIS 3.0 standard that supports both Upstream and Downstream channel bonding capabilities. ..."

telfordcable
24-03-2009, 21:03
Yes it official £135 per month for 150Mbps downstream and 25Mbps upstream in 2011 (1 year earlier) that's Neil target date ! 50Mbps will staying at £50 a month !

Just been told by teamleader just now. (STM is also on 20/50/150) The 10Meg will be upgrade to 20Meg.

Don't say I did told you so !

popper
24-03-2009, 21:04
Hmmm... 40/15 is a very good ratio, cant see it happening for a reasonable price myself though.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/3915-is-150meg-from-virgin-going-to-revolutionise-broadband-in-2012.html
"...
There also comes good news for those in search of a faster upload speed. BT are at the moment suggesting a 15meg upstream on their 40meg fibre product, however Virgin are looking to take this a step further.
"If BT were to meet the time frame they have suggested - of finishing by 2012 - I would see us as having much, much faster upstream speed, running at a minimum of 100Mbps downstream and possibly more. You can see a real opportunity there."
Neil Berkett, (CEO) Virgin Media ...

Retrovertigo
24-03-2009, 21:05
Yeah stability is key. If i could go back to how it was when 10meg was the fastest speed they did, I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's more than enough and in was fantastic for online gaming etc. That has all gone to pot now sadly.

greyposter
24-03-2009, 21:08
When I was with Telewest,2 meg was fine for this old gent.

Toto
24-03-2009, 21:11
Yes it official £135 per month for 150Mbps downstream and 25Mbps upstream in 2011 (1 year earlier) that's Neil target date ! 50Mbps will staying at £50 a month !

Just been told by teamleader just now. (STM is also on 20/50/150) The 10Meg will be upgrade to 20Meg.

You really need to hang on to that team leader, he's must be incredibly well connected.

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:09 ----------

Hmmm... 40/15 is a very good ratio, cant see it happening for a reasonable price myself though.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/3915-is-150meg-from-virgin-going-to-revolutionise-broadband-in-2012.html
"...
There also comes good news for those in search of a faster upload speed. BT are at the moment suggesting a 15meg upstream on their 40meg fibre product, however Virgin are looking to take this a step further."If BT were to meet the time frame they have suggested - of finishing by 2012 - I would see us as having much, much faster upstream speed, running at a minimum of 100Mbps downstream and possibly more. You can see a real opportunity there."
Neil Berkett, (CEO) Virgin Media ...

Yeh, I picked up on that, and not that far away either. :)

popper
24-03-2009, 21:12

150/25 isnt exactly much, much faster upstream speed compared to the potential BT 40/15 is it....

and your supposed VM ratio above doesnt match anything like VM prefer to set their ratio's for years now :shocked:

Turkey Machine
24-03-2009, 21:13
Considering they offer such a pitiful upstream on their current products, what gives him any right to spout about a 100Mbit upstream on a future service when they can't provide just 1 tenth of that figure currently?!

The man talks absolute rubbish most days, he needs to get the company to sort it's diabolical speed in some areas so they can provide what they sell.

BenMcr
24-03-2009, 21:16
You really need to hang on to that team leader, he's must be incredibly well connected.
Of course if Telfordcable 'releases' too much information it will be very easy to work out which Team Leader it is.

Knowing how much and what a product will be in 2 years time isn't exactly common manager knowledge!

Toto
24-03-2009, 21:20
Of course if Telfordcable 'releases' too much information it will be very easy to work out which Team Leader it is.

Knowing how much and what a product will be in 2 years time isn't exactly common manager knowledge!

I'm still ducking from the speeds and prices being batted around like so many shuttlecocks. :)

telfordcable
24-03-2009, 21:31
i don't think anyones would sign up 150Mbps at that cost £135 per month with STM on it. I think a few peoples will have it.

Oh forget to add one thing: teamleader inform me that 150Mbps will be in a 18 months contract !

Russ
24-03-2009, 21:48

Please read the PM I sent you.

telfordcable
24-03-2009, 21:50
Please read the PM I sent you.

I didn't read it as I deleted it because i don't know who you are!! and what do u want ?

BenMcr
24-03-2009, 21:51
Probably not a good idea to do that from a moderator you know!

Arthurgray50@blu
24-03-2009, 21:53
Maybe VM should concentrate, on getting the service's up to date and running smoothly without teething problems, before planning what will happen in 2010.

telfordcable
24-03-2009, 21:53
Probably not a good idea to do that from a moderator you know!

oh is he ?

sorry i didn't aware he was a moderator and what does moderator mean ?

Nedkelly
24-03-2009, 21:54
Neil needs to get out more and look at the state of the network :D Yes ubrs are overloaded .New 50 meg ubrs have 20 meg traffic put on them ok for now but what happens when 50 meg rally takes off? .Let the networks do there own jobs not doing bloody service calls so service techs can do installs and installs clean the cabs yes this does happen :( .Get the network clean get rid of the noise .I get fed up with those prats upstairs saying things then we have to try and make it work :rolleyes: Yes we do have a good network but some of it needs money spending on it :)

Russ
24-03-2009, 21:54
sorry i didn't aware he was a moderator and what does moderator mean ?

I co-run this site.

I'll send it again and I advise you to read it and respond.

telfordcable
24-03-2009, 21:55
I co-run this site.

I'll send it again and I advise you to read it and respond.

ok sure i will read it.

Ignitionnet
24-03-2009, 21:56
Neil needs to get out more and look at the state of the network :D Yes ubrs are overloaded .New 50 meg ubrs have 20 meg traffic put on them ok for now but what happens when 50 meg rally takes off? .Let the networks do there own jobs not doing bloody service calls so service techs can do installs and installs clean the cabs yes this does happen :( .Get the network clean get rid of the noise .I get fed up with those prats upstairs saying things then we have to try and make it work :rolleyes: Yes we do have a good network but some of it needs money spending on it :)

Ned - less complaining more combining areas again for the 50M service then trying to keep them clean having stuck 4000 homes onto a return please! ;)

Nedkelly
24-03-2009, 21:59
Sorry :)

telfordcable
24-03-2009, 22:01
Sorry everyones !

I had to stop post this silly about virgin media future. Apology to all of you and Russ B too. I had reply to you Russ B in PM.

Sirius
24-03-2009, 22:15
Sorry everyones !

I had to stop post this silly about virgin media future. Apology to all of you and Russ B too. I had reply to you Russ B in PM.

At last :)

Peter_
24-03-2009, 22:19
No more outlandish posts http://smileyshut.com/smileys/new/free-jumping-smileys-521[1].gif (http://smileyshut.com)

slowcoach
24-03-2009, 22:30
Sorry everyones !

No need to apologise to me, I enjoy a little silliness. ;)

Gary L
24-03-2009, 23:34
Sorry everyones !

God are we going to be bored now.

Peter_
24-03-2009, 23:42
But we still have youDownload Failed (1) (http://smileyshut.com)

Hugh
24-03-2009, 23:46

If there was a God.....
If there was a God that phrase wouldn't exist. :)

You could always pray to a rock and then pray to God. see which one answers :)

If the rock answers I want to use it as the miracle.

Consistent as ever, Gary..... :D

Gary L
24-03-2009, 23:46
Who have I got? :)

Peter_
24-03-2009, 23:48
Who have I got? :)http://smileyshut.com/smileys/new/Zen/zen-22.gif (http://smileyshut.com)

Gary L
24-03-2009, 23:49
Consistent as ever, Gary..... :D

That's what it says on my CV :)

moroboshi
24-03-2009, 23:53
150mbit? I'd be happy if I got 1mbit. My broadband is so slow now it's running now on average at 0.5mbit, and it's a 20mbit line (allegedly).

Virgin have LOTS of issues to sort out before they can brag about speeds like 150mbit.

|Kippa|
25-03-2009, 09:59
150 mbit down, what would the upload speed be? 3mbit? I say that jokingly, but knowing them they'd probably try it hehehe.

AppleSauce
25-03-2009, 19:16
I personally think it's time they stopped trying to achieve these ridiculous download speeds. 100mb is way overkill for the home user regardless of what you do.

It would be nice to see some packages with nice upstream speeds similar to this:

- 10mb down / 2.5mb up
- 20mb down / 5mb up

Mick Fisher
25-03-2009, 21:02
It's just a load of ridiculous posturing from the CEO of a run down Company trying desperately to deflect attention from the real issues of rundown services that can't deliver what they are supposed to.

Neil's a closet politician. :D

Rik
25-03-2009, 21:32
The truth is there's nothing to use the speed with really.

There certainly is, and I use it right now.

USENET ;)

Gary L
25-03-2009, 21:40
there certainly is, and i use it right now.

Usenet ;)

usenet = dodgy = virgin :)

Ignitionnet
25-03-2009, 21:40
There certainly is, and I use it right now.

USENET ;)

Only so much useful stuff you can download before you're downloading random garbage for the sake of it.

Gary L
25-03-2009, 21:44
Only so much useful stuff you can download before you're downloading random garbage for the sake of it.

You don't know what you're doing. obviously :)

Try a bit of variety. make your eyes pop out :D

Ignitionnet
25-03-2009, 22:33
You don't know what you're doing. obviously :)

Try a bit of variety. make your eyes pop out :D

No, I just got over the download bug a very long time ago ;)

I have both newzbin and Giganews accounts FWIW.

broadbandking
26-03-2009, 00:06
I remember someone telling me over 30% of VM's DOCSIS 1.0 network is overloaded so they need that sorted first.

Help!!!
26-03-2009, 00:58
What are people going to be using 100meg+ internet for other then to download shed loads of HD/Blu-Ray content.

AppleSauce
26-03-2009, 01:42
What are people going to be using 100meg+ internet for other then to download shed loads of HD/Blu-Ray content.

I'm guessing some people will get the 150mb product purely for the upload speed.

graf_von_anonym
26-03-2009, 03:43
Can we please stop discussing an imaginary product created by someone's fevered imagination? I mean, I understand that piling outrage upon speculation upon supposition is forum tradition, but can't we get back to complaining about things that are even a fifth real as compared to this nonsense?

Zhadnost
26-03-2009, 09:19
Of course this is all forgetting that if everyone had a better upload speed, then people using VPNs to work from home would have an easier time of it.

Hugh
26-03-2009, 11:56
Of course this is all forgetting that if everyone had a better upload speed, then people using VPNs to work from home would have an easier time of it.
But wouldn't that be business usage, which (imho) would be better supported by a business package?

Ignitionnet
26-03-2009, 13:13
But wouldn't that be business usage, which (imho) would be better supported by a business package?

We'll disagree there, I regard working from home from time to time as one of the things that comes with broadband access, not something requiring a business package. Working from home sometimes is, imho, fair residential usage. It's not the same as having a 5 days a week home office.

Isn't like it makes a huge difference anyways, from 768kbps to 1Mbit/s upstream on the highest business tier, yay.

Agent47
26-03-2009, 20:17

LOL what a ****ing rip off if true. After 10 mins of downloading you will probably be STMd to 35mb/65mbs.

Hopefully VM wont be in business come 2010.

BenMcr
26-03-2009, 20:28
So say VM goes bust. That will then leave BT based broadband with a monopoly in the UK. How is that better?

popper
26-03-2009, 21:21
its very unlikely that the EU mega corps would let the only UK cable franchise go unpurchased for long without putting a bid in, hell C&W might even bid for it at the right price, or the real UK virgin/branson corp might even come calling if the price is right for the controlling interest.

leexgx
26-03-2009, 22:37
LOL what a ****ing rip off if true. After 10 mins of downloading you will probably be STMd to 35mb/65mbs.

@agent
BT will not be able to offer high speed BB for 3 yrs or More in the UK depending where you live (the BT offering fiber BB stuff) unless you live where they are doing it so i whould not want VM to go bust as i be stuck on 1mb BT crap speeds as thats all i can get with them

you do know that be around 20gb to kick in the STM if they did it as thats how long it takes to download that much on 150mb if you can manage to Max it for 15 mins (50mb would be around 6-8gb if they did but that be gay as just under 2 dvds or HD it be point less as they do advertise 15gb an hr somewhere)

each speed 10/20 STM norm take 15 mins at full speed to hit it (apart form 2>10 customers that be about 5 mins lol) still be intresting what STM if they do it it have to be high if they do

---
the cable modems that are been provided now are 200mb capable, requires no change to the network to make it happen just config file on the modem

10/20 services are fine or was when i left it to goto 50mb this is in warrington

the 50mb service does needs fixing the speed drop (2-3mb) + high packet loss not acceptable, if it was speed loss i would not mind as long as it does not goto 2-10mb, its the packet loss that does it, as you cant use the Internet for 5-10 mins if i am downloading due to packet loss, i know the time is short but very annoying when it does it when your on the computer

Ignitionnet
26-03-2009, 23:06
People are reading far too much into this.

BT announced their first exchanges so VM got the PR machine running and the bandwidth wanger out. It means absolutely nothing until some kind of trials and tests of this product are done.

At the moment most DOCSIS 3 areas aren't even running with all 4 downstreams, it's a while away so no need to get excited just yet.

As always, VM keep a little ahead of BT, just a bit, usually only on the downstream, and publicise it hard so everyone knows.

KingDaveRa
26-03-2009, 23:17
hell C&W might even bid for it at the right price

God no. PLEASE no. That would be the WORST possible thing.

C&W couldn't organise a 'drunkening' in a brewery.

Zhadnost
27-03-2009, 17:33
Well, since they've got Thus now, it could make for some interesting network upgrades, especially for the folks in Scotland.

Ignitionnet
30-03-2009, 16:34
Well this might pee on Neil's bonfire a bit as far as exceeding BT on upstream goes:

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=174374&site=cdn

Upstream update
For now, Motorola still has no specific plans to shoot for Silver or Full Docsis 3.0 qualification, which brings upstream channel bonding into the mix. That's partly because the vendor doesn't believe most MSOs will be ready for that for another 12 to 14 months. The only public exception so far is Japan CableNet Ltd, which is trying out upstream channel bonding using Arris Group Inc. (Nasdaq: ARRS)'s C4 CMTS. (See Japan Cablenet Swims Upstream .)

"We do not feel that is a business-impacting hurdle," Wagoner says of Motorola's present emphasis on downstream channel bonding. "But the upstream is becoming increasingly important. We'll be ready as the market needs that upstream capacity."

Perish the thought, without being able to bond crappy upstreams together to give the appearance of tons of capacity VM may actually have to clean the networks up properly nationwide and segment down the enormous DOCSIS 3 bonded groups.

Anyone who wants some work now might be a good time to learn cable, they could need quite a few contractors to help with this ;)

KingDaveRa
30-03-2009, 22:35
That assumes they spend money on infrastructure though...

broadbandking
31-03-2009, 09:12
That assumes they spend money on infrastructure though...

They don't know what that is

popper
31-03-2009, 21:31
Well this might pee on Neil's bonfire a bit as far as exceeding BT on upstream goes:

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=174374&site=cdn

Perish the thought, without being able to bond crappy upstreams together to give the appearance of tons of capacity VM may actually have to clean the networks up properly nationwide and segment down the enormous DOCSIS 3 bonded groups.

Anyone who wants some work now might be a good time to learn cable, they could need quite a few contractors to help with this ;)

perhaps the 113 sales people and 35 support staff at the firm's call centre in Colwick, Nottingham can get on a VM porta cabin training program so they dont loose their VM discounts and jobs, or perhaps even the 2000+ already announced VM job cuts to take place over the next four years, :angel:

http://www.personneltoday.com/articles/2009/03/31/50097/virgin-media-makes-more-job-cuts.html

---------- Post added at 20:31 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

OT but interesting,
hmm, if only VM could/would put that last bit of fibre in from the fibre enabled street cabs to the other cabs and on to your house ,this might be a useful addition as a starting point to some areas perhaps.

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20090331006229&newsLang=en

"Alloptic Delivers Industry’s First DOCSIS Enabled PON

NCTA's The Cable Show 2009

LIVERMORE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE (http://www.businesswire.com/))--Alloptic, a global leader in the development of RF over glass (RFoG) and passive optical networking (PON) solutions for CATV, telecom, and private network operators worldwide, today announced the availability of its DPC™ software, Alloptic’s DOCSIS PON Controller, which enables DOCSIS provisioning and control of its EPON system. DPC facilitates the acceleration of PON rollouts by MSOs and others using DOCSIS for service delivery.

With DPC, network operators realize the benefits of PON, while continuing to use DOCSIS flow-through provisioning and control. DPC acts as a proxy between back office systems and Alloptic GEPON system. In effect, the PON OLT appears to be a cable modem termination system (CMTS), and the PON ONU takes the place of the cable modem, resulting in PON performance from a DOCSIS-controlled network. ....."

Ignitionnet
31-03-2009, 21:41
Not likely popper would be too expensive and wouldn't sell to the money men.

They should be looking into a fibre deep architecture going to node + 1 amp only given its' huge efficiency gain and step towards full PON though this is unlikely especially given the DOCSIS 3 architecture aggregating nodes together.

*sloman*
01-04-2009, 21:38
God no. PLEASE no. That would be the WORST possible thing.

C&W couldn't organise a 'drunkening' in a brewery.

I work for a large company and C&W serve us fine we have 1Gbit connection between each site.

I believe 1Gbit connection to the outside world.

KingDaveRa
01-04-2009, 22:04
I now look after a plethora of ISDN, DASS, DPNSS and analogue lines, a good proportion of which are managed by C&W.

Repeatedly I have asked them to do work, change things, move things, even just give me info, and they have repeatedly failed to do it.

Took them 6 months to install an ISDN line, because they lost the order, but bulshitted me for about 5 months that it was progressing before finally admitting they'd lost it.

One of our lines, they bill us for, yet they can't 'find' it. They can find NO record of it, yet they send us bills every month.

Their service is laughable, it really is. Considering how much money they get out of us each month, I'd expect better. BT run rings around them by comparison.

psyfur
02-04-2009, 14:11

Lol, how true. That is the point I am at and I only have 10meg line. :angel:

I would like to add that in Cambridge I have have never had a speed issue, I guess we're lucky!

I would like to move to a higher speed line but they will have to remove STM for that to be a realistic offer for anyone to considered in my household.