PDA

View Full Version : 10mb to 1mb

StevenJohnson
24-03-2009, 11:20
Hey guys, all the usual appologies if this has been discussed somewhere. :).. I'm just looking for any suggestions really!

I am on the 10mb package with VM and for the last week or so my download rate has been dropping to 1mb sometimes lower but the upload speed remains stable, and this always seems to be around 10pm. I reset my modem and router but this doesn't resolve anything. The speed does gradually go back up within the hour but it's frustrating as I don't have any clues to what is doing it. I've emailed VM but always get the usual response... "check this; check that; your connection is fine".

I'm also no expert but I've checked my router settings which seems fine, the modem seems fine, though it is a Motorola 5100 which was installed about 5 years ago in the Telewest days.

I have no problems usually, speed is normally at its peak, but I'm now getting a tad frustrated. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

DRZ400
24-03-2009, 11:55
I think we've all noticed VM download speeds have taken a nosedive recently.

It's quite infuriating as a month ago, I could guarantee 10 meg per night, every night. No it can be anywhere from 200K upto 10.4meg.

StevenJohnson
24-03-2009, 12:08
I don't expect to get full 10mb all the time, but 1mb is just a joke! It's so inconsistent at the moment.

Noggo
24-03-2009, 14:47
All I can suggest is to try Virgin media's newsgroup support, instead of telephone support.

For how to setup outlook express for newsgroups: click here (http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/setting-up-outlook-express-exntl.php) and the group you need to subscribe to is:
virginmedia.support.broadband.cable

remember to read the, subscribing, reading and posting to newsgroups sections (links at bottom of the above setup instructions page, linked above).

Post on the above newsgroup with a description of your problems and see what they're got to say on the matter.

StevenJohnson
24-03-2009, 15:52
Thanks Noggo!