PDA

View Full Version : Can one reboot 'N' router from the computer

HSp8
24-03-2009, 06:40
on the 50Mb, and now and again, the speed drops to about 10Mb

if I reboot the router, everything goes back to how it should be

But the router is downstairs and PC at top of house

anyway I can reboot from upstairs (can't see any option in the router's browser)

Chris
24-03-2009, 09:20
Probably depends on the model. You can soft-reboot mine wirelessly (Linksys WAG354G). What have you got?

HSp8
24-03-2009, 09:47
it's the Netgear WNR2000 - the one they're giving out with 50Mb

BenMcr
24-03-2009, 10:12
There should be an option to Reboot on the Diagnostics page

HSp8
24-03-2009, 16:14
looks like it can't be done

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR. My name is Shyney and I will be your support engineer.

I understand that you want to reboot the router using software.

I regret to inform that there is no option to reboot the router using the browser.

Thanks again for choosing NETGEAR. Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Shyney
NETGEAR, Inc.
http://my.netgear.com

BenMcr
24-03-2009, 16:34
Eh?

Every Netgear I've ever had you have been able to do that with

SimpleSimon
24-03-2009, 21:13
When you go to the Routers webpage is there a link to a Diagnostics page, as on my Netgear DG834G on that page there is a Reboot button.

HSp8
24-03-2009, 22:06
nope - can't see a Diagnostics page

martyh
24-03-2009, 22:27
i have checked my router although it is a different netgear model (wndr3300) i also have no way of restarting remotely but i did figure out a way of doing it
if you go into the web page and make a basic change (remember what you changed)the router will restart to save the change you can always go back to the original settings you had i would suggest something simple like "turn email notification on "(if you have that option on your model)
i would also suggest giving netgear a ring as your config on the router doesn't sound right if it keeps slowing down like that
hope this helps good luck

Retrovertigo
24-03-2009, 22:59
That's a bit gutting actually. I sometimes move slightly out of range of my belkin router and need to do a quick restart as the quickest way of getting a connection again. Not being able to so it via the browser is a bit of a pest.

Stabhappy
24-03-2009, 23:04
These rangemax routers are fairly good for range, though. If you're at the peak of dropoff you should probably get a repeater or whatever the term is (wifi extender, I think?)

martyh
24-03-2009, 23:04
That's a bit gutting actually. I sometimes move slightly out of range of my belkin router and need to do a quick restart as the quickest way of getting a connection again. Not being able to so it via the browser is a bit of a pest.

the quickest way for you to reconnect is turn off your network adapter via the button on your laptop then back on should take approx 10-20secs to reconnect

Retrovertigo
24-03-2009, 23:06
the quickest way for you to reconnect is turn off your network adapter via the button on your laptop then back on should take approx 10-20secs to reconnect

Ooh cheers! I'm new to wireless laptop stuff - nice tip :)

martyh
24-03-2009, 23:12
Ooh cheers! I'm new to wireless laptop stuff - nice tip :)

no probs ..make sure that "connect at logon" is enabled in network and sharing aswell, it is off by default in vista

HSp8
25-03-2009, 09:29
i have checked my router although it is a different netgear model (wndr3300) i also have no way of restarting remotely but i did figure out a way of doing it
if you go into the web page and make a basic change (remember what you changed)the router will restart to save the change you can always go back to the original settings you had i would suggest something simple like "turn email notification on "(if you have that option on your model)
i would also suggest giving netgear a ring as your config on the router doesn't sound right if it keeps slowing down like that
hope this helps good luck

nice one - thanks :tu:

it doesn't happen that often - there's a thread on here somewhere where others are having the same problem (Newsgroup/Newsleecher related I think)

Lynchy
26-03-2009, 12:51
while on the subject of the N router, can anybody tell me what the button on the front is for ?

thanks

HSp8
26-03-2009, 15:01
it's used when you're setting up the plugin dongle - gets the router to sinc with it (so about as much use as a glass hammer)

Lynchy
26-03-2009, 22:28
it's used when you're setting up the plugin dongle - gets the router to sinc with it (so about as much use as a glass hammer)

thankyou :)