PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Broadband In Enfield (Bad Problems)

VectorSigma
23-03-2009, 23:43
Hi guys you may well be my last hope, here is my story.

I have been with Virgin since the very early NTL/Telewest days and up until last year never had a single problem with it.
Then one day i started to get a lot of Disconnections on games, net pages, streaming vids etc crashing or taking ages to load. After continuing to report this since October last year and 34 phone calls later, i finally got a call from a senior technician to admit and confirm the is an exchange traffic overload problem in my area which gives out bad SnR, and surprise surprise its been faulty since Oct 2008 and the equipment bacially cannot cope and needs upgrading.
Now for the great part, getting to this answer has taken me to their Indian call centre on numerous occasions where they all spout the same " Have you reset/tried a new modem" drivel. In short i now have a massive internet Packet Loss and connection issue which wont be fixed until.... October 2009!!!!!
Now why could they not admit this to me earlier? Ive had 3 technicians out and 4 new modems, changed packages twice as well.

Here are some of my line monitor results for Packet Loss Data checks....

http://www.dslreports.com/testhistory/1617327/2b2a5

This especially isnt good for online gaming as i suffer with horrific latency and ping times. Is there anything i can do to correct the whole issue sooner?

Many thanks for any help in advance.... Barry

Stabhappy
24-03-2009, 01:10
My word that's attrocious. Ring up retentions and get a sizeable chunk cut off your bill, if you can put up with it until then. If not, move provider. It will be worth checking retentions first -mentioning that you have had this issue for a while-. They should refund a portion of the bills you've been paying as of course you have not been recieving an even moderatly acceptable service.

VectorSigma
24-03-2009, 07:28
My word that's attrocious. Ring up retentions and get a sizeable chunk cut off your bill, if you can put up with it until then. If not, move provider. It will be worth checking retentions first -mentioning that you have had this issue for a while-. They should refund a portion of the bills you've been paying as of course you have not been recieving an even moderatly acceptable service.

Thanks for your reply mate, yeah we have been given a permenant 25% bill reduction until its sorted but no rebate for past 6 months :dozey:

I wondered if anyone else here was from Enfield and had the same problems as i know there are 2 local exchanges and people down the road in Edmonton dont suffer with this problem at all. It would be nice to know im not alone as Virgin would never tell me if I was alone in reporting my problem to them.

Stabhappy
24-03-2009, 14:40
Virgin don't use the standard exchange system, the UBR will be much further away from you

Ignitionnet
24-03-2009, 14:42
A few bits of London, especially ex-TW, are garbage that never got sorted properly unfortunately.

chickendippers
24-03-2009, 14:43
If you don't mind me asking, why are you still with Virgin Media? The service in your area is clearly unfit for purpose and the admission from the senior technician is certainly enough evidence for you to terminate your contract early without penalty.

Speak with your wallet!

VectorSigma
24-03-2009, 16:25
If you don't mind me asking, why are you still with Virgin Media? The service in your area is clearly unfit for purpose and the admission from the senior technician is certainly enough evidence for you to terminate your contract early without penalty.

Speak with your wallet!

Plain and simple reason really they are the only company who offer Cable Broadband, with no phone line here our options are limited, obviously we will have to get one installed which is about £125? then choose a new ISP i guess.
Its just more convenience than anything which i know is a really crap excuse but i have to change my email accounts etc etc.

I guess BT is the only way forward from here, just wanted to know what some of your more techy people thought of my line monitoring results. ?

Thanks guys :)

Stabhappy
24-03-2009, 18:17
they show evidence of massive oversubscription or general line issues. also, beware of BT Broadband, you need the phone line but you don't need their broadband, Sky is brilliant, as are BE.

chickendippers
24-03-2009, 22:34
Certain ISPs will also subsidise the cost of a BT phoneline to get you to join. I've heard of Sky doing this, particularly if you mention Virgin Media ;)