PDA

View Full Version : Could BB upgrade affect TV quality?

daemon
21-03-2009, 19:03
Hi,

Until recently I was on a package having Phone=S, Broadband=L and TV=XL which gave a few quirks related to TV performance. BBC iPlayer would fail to open which could only be fixed by rebooting the STB and scene changes with a lot of new information resulted in pixelation of the picture.

I have just taken up a VirginMedia offer for Phone=XL, Broadband=XL and TV=XL for £58/month and BBC iPlayer opens flawlessly and the picture pixelation no longer occurs. I get the impression that overall picture quality is sharper (more detailed?) than before too.

As the TV part of the package was, supposedly, unchanged by the upgrade can anyone explain why I might be seeing these improvements to my service?

Regards,
Neil Darlow

Pushkar
21-03-2009, 22:31
Hi,

Until recently I was on a package having Phone=S, Broadband=L and TV=XL which gave a few quirks related to TV performance. BBC iPlayer would fail to open which could only be fixed by rebooting the STB and scene changes with a lot of new information resulted in pixelation of the picture.

I have just taken up a VirginMedia offer for Phone=XL, Broadband=XL and TV=XL for £58/month and BBC iPlayer opens flawlessly and the picture pixelation no longer occurs. I get the impression that overall picture quality is sharper (more detailed?) than before too.

As the TV part of the package was, supposedly, unchanged by the upgrade can anyone explain why I might be seeing these improvements to my service?

Regards,
Neil Darlow

Hey Neil,

BBC iPlayer isn't determined by how fast your connection is, but obviously the higher the speed the less buffering you will have. Regarding the 'improvements', iPlayer does have the option for low and high quality so you may have been watching the low quality version before and now your on the high.

deathtrap3000
21-03-2009, 22:37
Hes talking about the iPlayer on the STB.
I think.

broadbandking
21-03-2009, 22:59
Hi,

Regards,
Neil Darlow

The TV service and the broadband service are seperate, just thank you self lucky that your problems have been sorted, answer to your question no it can't.

piggy
22-03-2009, 07:43
The TV service and the broadband service are seperate, just thank you self lucky that your problems have been sorted, answer to your question no it can't.

well indirectly it can, eg the levels were low on install, tech reset levels so curing the o/ps intermittent fault on the tv.

broadbandking
22-03-2009, 08:19
well indirectly it can, eg the levels were low on install, tech reset levels so curing the o/ps intermittent fault on the tv.

Thats some thing I have never seen but o well you learn something new everyday.

Ignitionnet
22-03-2009, 10:08
Aye, one thing the XXL does need is decent sloping as 3 or 4 downstream channels are involved so having power levels all over the shop isn't acceptable. Good side of course is that if they fix a slope issue for those 3-4 frequencies it'll likely fix any problems with slope on the DTV multiplexes too.

on in an hour!
22-03-2009, 10:12
its more likely coincidence,the upgrade didnt require a tech visit as all services were existing.it could be something as simple as the network guys balancing the cascade thus improving the rf signal level to the house,;)

Ignitionnet
22-03-2009, 12:34
its more likely coincidence,the upgrade didnt require a tech visit as all services were existing.it could be something as simple as the network guys balancing the cascade thus improving the rf signal level to the house,;)

Maybe but XXL still gets a tech visit for every install.

If VM would put hands in pockets there'd be no cascade to balance :p:

on in an hour!
23-03-2009, 18:21
Maybe but XXL still gets a tech visit for every install.

If VM would put hands in pockets there'd be no cascade to balance :p:
hes not upgraded to XXL :erm: cascades will always need balancing to some degree ;)

Nedkelly
23-03-2009, 19:40
You set levels in the summer to spec then in the winter they are different .Or we have been doing maintanance on the network or in some cases The lasers and recievers have been changed .We did a node here and the levels shot up resulting in the whole node having to have the levels reset :)