PDA

View Full Version : Rapidshare blocked? - Virgin Media

snowyoneill
21-03-2009, 10:26
Hey has anyone noticed their access to rapidshare.com being blocked? Just recently like in the last week or two, ive noticed that whenever i'm downloading something from rapidshare after about 250MB is downloaded rapidshare begins to timeout. I cannot access the page directly from the address bar, but if i go through a proxy i can, so the website isnt down. Also after about 15-20 minutes i am able to ping the page again and my downloads resume. Noboby else i know is experiencing these problems in my area. Any ideas?

General Maximus
21-03-2009, 10:39
somebody mentioned this a couple of months ago. They did work out what the problem was and it was VM related but i don't think it was specifically targetted at rapidshare.

jcm193
21-03-2009, 10:43
Hey has anyone noticed their access to rapidshare.com being blocked? Just recently like in the last week or two, ive noticed that whenever i'm downloading something from rapidshare after about 250MB are downloaded rapidshare begins to timeout. I cannot access the page directly from the address bar, but if i go through a proxy i can, so the website isnt down. Also after about 15-20 minutes i am able to ping the page again and my downloads resume. Noboby else i know is experiencing these problems in my area. Any ideas?
I don't think virgin are blocking rapidshare its more likely to be rapidshare themselves as there service has been very reliably over the last few weeks.

---------- Post added at 10:43 ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 ----------

somebody mentioned this a couple of months ago. They did work out what the problem was and it was VM related but i don't think it was specifically targetted at rapidshare.
I think it might of been me If I remember I think its was a dns problem as soon as iI moved over to open dns it was fine.

snowyoneill
21-03-2009, 11:15
I just setup my connection to use open dns but that didnt work either. Its only rapidshare that i cannot access. As for rapidshare not being reliable, yeah i suppose that could be a possibility but it seems to be only me being affected. One of my friends who is on the same network can access rapidshare from his pc just down the road. Im lost, and this is really getting annoying. I have a rapidshare premium account and i cant even use it.

ultimate
21-03-2009, 11:21
Its ok for me here in Macclesfield, could be a regional fault.

jcm193
21-03-2009, 11:24
It may be an issue with your pc then,perhaps you could try doing a system restore to a point where is worked or perhaps do a re format and a complete reinstall sorry I can not help anymore..

snowyoneill
21-03-2009, 11:32
Its def not my pc, its must be my ip. My housemates laptop cannot access it either. (Im in belfast). Ahhhhhhhh, i might ring virgin and see what the story is.

Welshchris
21-03-2009, 15:24
can access it fine here.

The PIT
21-03-2009, 17:25
Type in ssl.rapidshare.com/etc/etc then if they're traffic shaping it throws them off.
Ukonline block rapidshare but using ssl gets round the problem.

rogerdraig
21-03-2009, 17:52
works ok here too

phil699
23-03-2009, 04:16
i had a problem where my rapidshare downloads would just stop and had to restart router for them to resume, this was solved by taking my route out and running cable straight from the modem to pc.

Doono
23-03-2009, 12:19
Are you using a netgear router? I was having this problem for quite a while intill we disabled the spi firewall, we figured the router must consider the heavy constant stream of data from rapidshare to be a denial of service attack so the router blocks the connection.

pabscars
23-03-2009, 12:36
Are you using a netgear router? I was having this problem for quite a while intill we disabled the spi firewall, we figured the router must consider the heavy constant stream of data from rapidshare to be a denial of service attack so the router blocks the connection.

sorry to butt in, BUT isnt dissabling your spi firewall a big no no, or are dos attack's as much of a worry as were led to believe.

I was led to believe, its like leaving your keys in the ignition and your doors unlocked.

Milambar
23-03-2009, 12:49
If hes behing a NAT firewall, turning the SPI firewall off will have very little effect.

Its like...

Removing the security guard who inspects passes, from the door of a vault thats securely locked already.

Plus, negear's SPI firewall can be tricked into DOSing itself (I believe linksys' SPI firewall has the same problem) by sending a specially crafted packet at it. Which is why I turn mine off.

pabscars
23-03-2009, 13:00
If hes behing a NAT firewall, turning the SPI firewall off will have very little effect.

Its like...

Removing the security guard who inspects passes, from the door of a vault thats securely locked already.

Plus, negear's SPI firewall can be tricked into DOSing itself (I believe linksys' SPI firewall has the same problem) by sending a specially crafted packet at it. Which is why I turn mine off.

Thanks for clearing that up Milambar, and apologies to the op for butting into the thread.

snowyoneill
29-03-2009, 22:03
Thanks everyone for your help. I just rang the virgin media customer care, No 1 the woman could barely understand a word i said, then when i explained my problem she persistly told me it was a problem on my side, when tired to reason with her and explain to elevate the issue she hung up. I still cant get this problem sorted, i tried everything mentioned, accessing ssl.rapidshare.com, disabling the firewall on the router but it still cannot resolve the issue. One other thing, after ive downloaded an certain amount and subsequently become restricted, i can still ping www.rapidshare.com (http://www.rapidshare.com) and get a reply, but i cannot access the main page through a browser, wtf??? Like i just dont understand whats going on, i seriously dont the problem is at my side because this behaviour only started a few weeks ago and ive changed nothing on my pc or on the router. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DRZ400
29-03-2009, 22:07
I just clicked on it and it worked fine.

snowyoneill
29-03-2009, 22:17
I know, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, it can access at the minute too, but as soon as i download a couple of hundred of MB i get a timeout error for a about 30 minutes, cant download, cant hit the page using a browser. After half and hour i can access the page again and re-download. Im stumped.

chickendippers
29-03-2009, 22:43
What happens when you remove your router and connect the modem directly to your computer? (You will need to restart your modem each time you connect it to a different device).

Stabhappy
30-03-2009, 02:16
I did used to get this on BT broadband, annoying. Exact same thing.

I did myself a favour and got a Giganews account (well, technically it was free because BT give newsgroups access via them.) Now I have an astranews account.

brk3
30-03-2009, 17:16
<removed> See below.

Paul
30-03-2009, 17:21
I heard that penquins that can fly have been found in the artic.

Do not post completely unfounded alligations in future please.

Gary L
30-03-2009, 17:23
<removed> See below.

I read that, and it's a very strong statement for you to make on a public forum.

2manystellas
10-04-2009, 00:32
I get the same thing! I am with VM and use firefox and flashget to DL Rapidshare files. Things start off ok then, after ive DL'd a few hundred Mbs, the links just stop and i cant access the Rapidshare homepage, but if i wait a while things go back to normal! (RS page and able to DL files again.... for a short time!)
Im from Staffordshire BTW.

Hmmmm... I just logged into my rapidshare premium account, opened another tab and started DLing a few files while i was typing this reply and everything worked just like it should! I am now trying some more files to see if it was a fluke..... no, everything seems to work ok if i log into my account before i start downloading anything, am gonna check my flash get settings.

Welshchris
10-04-2009, 02:53
i had the same thing earlier tonight, as soon as i put in the VM proxy it worked str8 away!

snowyoneill
15-04-2009, 00:35
I get the same thing! I am with VM and use firefox and flashget to DL Rapidshare files. Things start off ok then, after ive DL'd a few hundred Mbs, the links just stop and i cant access the Rapidshare homepage, but if i wait a while things go back to normal! (RS page and able to DL files again.... for a short time!)
Im from Staffordshire BTW.

Hmmmm... I just logged into my rapidshare premium account, opened another tab and started DLing a few files while i was typing this reply and everything worked just like it should! I am now trying some more files to see if it was a fluke..... no, everything seems to work ok if i log into my account before i start downloading anything, am gonna check my flash get settings.

Did you manage to confirm that opening the tab before downloading any files fixes this problem? Im going to try it as soon as im back in belfast.

i had the same thing earlier tonight, as soon as i put in the VM proxy it worked str8 away!

VM proxy? Like one of these...http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/97/33602429-list-of-virgin-media-proxy-servers.html . Hmmmmm never tried that, it just might work.

2manystellas
15-04-2009, 01:01
Thought i had it sussed but its just so hit n miss, when i logged in as i said i DLed about a gig then it happened again. We cant be the only ones that this happens to!

Do you use the Flashgot firefox extension? Not sure if this problem happened when i started using it, think it was about the same time, cant be sure tho.

As far as proxy servers are concerned i aint that tech. minded!! All i know is ive had an RS premium account for a couple of years and always used VM/NTL with no problems ....... until now!

snowyoneill
15-04-2009, 01:27
Yeah im using Flashgot too, this only started happening about a month ago to me. Up until that point everything was fine. DUDE its the router!!! I know ppl have already mentioned this point on this thread, but ive just had a chance to properly test it. When i plug my laptop directly into the modem it works fine, plug the modem to the router and wirelessly connect = rapidshare problems. Have no idea why or how to fix it tho... Anybody any advice?

grubbymitts
15-04-2009, 06:09
Anybody any advice?

Buy a new router? Or update it?

Welshchris
15-04-2009, 09:17
its not the router, i do not connect wirelessly and i have the same problem.

ultimate
15-04-2009, 09:35
Firefox downloader seems to have this problem so I have been using IE7Pro and its mini downloader, it is free, just google it. The mini downloader is fast.

majik
19-04-2009, 16:04
Well I came across this as well. It has only become annoying lately as I didn't download too much at one time nor was I in a hurry to. Now I have 5 days left and the bloody thing keeps on stopping then resuming in Flashget.

The thing is I'm using Arcor which is an ISP in Germany. I remember everything downloading fine but maybe a full reset of the router might do the trick. I'll get back to this thread later.

*edit*
Resetting to factory settings didn't help D:

buba3d
19-04-2009, 19:54
i can't load http://hackulo.us/ but everybody else can.

Ignitionnet
19-04-2009, 22:19
Trace to it and see where the trace goes wrong.

Rapidshare blocks will likely be the IWF filter.

buba3d
19-04-2009, 22:30
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\buba3d>tracert hackulo.us

Tracing route to hackulo.us [91.121.24.50]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms F5d8233-4v3 [192.168.2.1]
2 5 ms 7 ms 6 ms 10.232.184.1
3 9 ms 11 ms 7 ms renf-cam-1a-v130.network.virginmedia.net [80.4.6
5.193]
4 7 ms 10 ms 7 ms renf-t3core-1a-ae2-0.network.virginmedia.net [19
5.182.176.165]
5 12 ms 12 ms 23 ms man-bb-a-as4-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.
175.221]
6 14 ms 13 ms 17 ms man-bb-b-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.1
87.178]
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * hackulo.us [91.121.24.50] reports: Destination protocol
unreachable.

Trace complete.

AbyssUnderground
19-04-2009, 22:38
The above problem with hackulo.us is due to routing issues to the OVH data center. Its a known issue between VM and OVH and is supposed to be being fixed soon, but don't hold your breath... Its been going on a week now.

cripinuk
27-04-2009, 16:57
I use rapidshare alot and speeds are normally excellent,last couple off days its been crap.Im on 10mb and normally get very close to that but only seem to get half that last couple off days.Anyone else noticed the drop in speed?

Welshchris
27-04-2009, 17:13
i have had the problem after i download say 10GB from rapidshare that my connection suddenly stops to them, what i do is i use the VM proxy and it gets it going again.

AbyssUnderground
27-04-2009, 17:20
i have had the problem after i download say 10GB from rapidshare that my connection suddenly stops to them, what i do is i use the VM proxy and it gets it going again.

I think they have a 10GB/day/IP limit but don't hold me to it. I read something somewhere.

majik
27-04-2009, 17:36
I think I found out the problem. Don't use Flashget. Use Free download manager. I think the continuous stream of data from Flashget automatically gets blocked by the router as it thinks it's a DoS attack (I think).

Maybe the program is unrecognized or something because when I download with Free download manager I can download all I want without stopping (if I have the bandwith on rapidshare of course)

Dead Cell
08-07-2009, 03:15
Guys I am also having exacty the same problem as the OP. I am 100% sure it is VM because I also have Sky broadband and as soon as I switch over to Sky, download begins and I am able to access rapidshare.com. Switch over to VM and I can download probably 100MB and then blocked for 30 minutes!

I am going to call VM tomorrow and cancel my service! I only had it installed yesterday!

So lucky I didn't cancel my Sky broadband!

I would love it though if this could be fixed as I only get about 5megs on Sky whereas on VM I'm on 10megs!

But Sky's service has been flawless. I never get D/C or blocked or any of that crap!

Installing Free Download Manager now to give it a try, will report back.

And someone say something, where is everyone gone? Did you lot fix the problem?

Would be nice to hear back.

Regards.

EDIT: Sorry Majik, Free Download Manager didn't do the trick. Anyway I just took off the Netgear router and connected the modem straight to my PC and it seems to be working now. Probably because 30 mins have passed by lol, but will soon find out!

OK PROBLEM SOLVED FOR ME! Just downloaded over 2GB non stop and not a problem!

So clearly there is a problem with the Netgear router. I am hoping its just this router, I will gladly buy a Linksys if that is the case!

Further testing necessary guys.

cripinuk
08-07-2009, 09:30
I use rapidshare n downloaded 5gigs seemlesly 2 days ago,its not being blocked.Btw RS does have DL limits...

Hiroki
08-07-2009, 11:29
VM don't block rapidshare. I use it all the time and never have any problems. Try using rapidshares download manager software

snowyoneill
08-07-2009, 12:10
Hey Dead Cell i was the guy how initially posted this problem, it seems to that resolved itself for me, well kinda. Basically i have the same setup as you, netgear router and virgin media modem. I think the problem is related to flashget and the router. Im not sure why exactly to be honest because i dont think it was a problem at the start when i just got vm installed. Over the last months i havent had time to mess around with the my setup trying to find out exactly where the problem is originating from but i know that when i switched to downthemall the problems ne longer exists. Maybe flashget somehow messed up the router through opening connections....im just not a 100 on that because that wouldn't make sense, but then again the router is virgin media branded (they have their own firmware on the routers they supply). Anyways just dropping a line and my updates.

Dead Cell
08-07-2009, 18:35
Snowy thanks very much for getting back to me, glad you found a work around. Going to look up that software downthemall and will test it tonight. Did try Free Download Manager but it didn't work and glad it didn't lol, the software looks so crap!

Hiroki,

Good idea, didn't think of that! I'm going to try rapidshares download manager also.

Cripinuk,

I've got a premium membership and 5GB is the max download daily. I rarely use mine as I've been so busy over the last few months. But I just want it to work else no point paying £20 pm for 10 meg when I can get 5meg for a tenner from Sky. Actually 16meg but 5 because I'm too far from the exchange! :(

Also 10ms ping on virgin and 89ms ping latency on sky, so Virgin much better for online gaming, which btw has been working without probs.

I want to buy a cheap cable router to test, any suggestions?

Thanks once again for all your help, especially Snowy who started this thread. Will keep you updated :)

Regards

Dead Cell
08-07-2009, 23:14
Can't find the EDIT button above :confused: sorry.

Anyway guys, installed Rapidshares File Manager and guess what? Problem solved :shocked: Holy camoly, downloaded 2.2 GB's again without a single hiccup and at full speeds! Had to keep pressing the PRINT SCREEN button on my keyboard and then paste it into WORD to calculate speed lol, Rapidshare's file manager doesn't tell you the total speed at which you are downloaing! :rolleyes:

I would still like to get flashget up and running and will try everything I can when I get some time, but for the next 2 weeks, I am going to be testing VM hardcore style to decide whether I should keep it or cancel it. If all goes well then Sky will be cancelled! It has been the best ISP for me so far even though I was getting low speeds, but that's hardly Sky's fault!

Will update. Regards.