PDA

View Full Version : virgin ducts

harpz790
20-03-2009, 18:15
Hi all
i had virgin spotter come round and tell me yes i could get the cable sevice because i had the green duct great i thought the guys pulled the cable down the street to the nearest catv manhole then they tryed to get from my house to that manhole i was then told the duct was blocked outside my house so someone would come and get the slab up and repair it ok i thought again.Then i get a phone call saying they cant get my slab up because the bin shed is stopping it, so i thought ill do it myself, put a tourch down the duct couldnt see no blockage so i fished some trunking lid down it.It wasnt blocked it was just a right angle tee bend so there rods wouldnt go down, fished 30 meters of trunking lid down it and it stopped so hired the rods and couldnt get past the 30 meter mark so i am about 6 meters away from the catv manhole how frustrating.so i think they havent joined up the duct from my house to there manhole why wont they do it now? and why wasnt it done in the first place? any tips or advise would be great.
thanks

jungleguy
20-03-2009, 19:38
get in touch with the spotter, explain to him, he should have a good working relationship with the installers

cheers

harpz790
21-03-2009, 16:37
If it comes to the crurch do you think they'll dig the road up to join the ducts up?

jungleguy
21-03-2009, 19:08
If it requires a carriage way dig (ie dig in road) you got no chance. If on the other hand they got to dig in the pavement it should be fine.

harpz790
23-03-2009, 14:51
Spoke to someone today and was told that they do not do any digging up whatsoever:mad: cant belive a company turn customers away without even trying surley digging up 6 meters and joining up the ducts would pay for its self over the 12 month contract no credit crunch at virgin:)

beeman
24-03-2009, 00:47
Spoke to someone today and was told that they do not do any digging up whatsoever:mad: cant belive a company turn customers away without even trying surley digging up 6 meters and joining up the ducts would pay for its self over the 12 month contract no credit crunch at virgin:)

not really, if it gose into the carrageway a licence will bee needed from the council (these can bee anything between £100 and £500 a day depending on how gready your council is). then theres tempory traffic restrictions (traffic lights, stop/go boards etc) then finally the cost of the man power todo the install and making good the carrageway. All this on top of the standard install costs it could take upto 10 years for you to bee a worthwile sub.

(though if its only on the path the costs are MUCH lower...)