PDA

View Full Version : House move troubles. Disputed cable area.

AlexInCheshire
20-03-2009, 13:49
Hi all,

You are probably all sick of this kind of thread but alas, there seems no useful help available from VM on the phone so I thought I would try here.

I signed up to Virgin before Christmas as we thought we could move on to cable after being fed up with a paltry 1Mb through the phone. All went very smoothly (and efficiently) with that installation, I even got a text message to remind me they were coming. When signing up, I said we would be moving house in 2-3 months. They said no probs with moving service (I told them which town but not the exact address). I naively assumed that if a town has cable, then you are able to get it (how wrong I was!!!).

When we knew we had a completion date for move etc, I called VM to arrange the move of the services... again they were quite helpful, but told me I would need to take their national service as we were not moving to a cabled area. I disagreed with them as I knew it was a 'cable area', they said to check for cable box on outside of property, and I said I'd call back once I moved.

We have moved now. There is not a cable box on the house but there is a 'NYNEX' cap on the pavement just outside our front garden. Nynex was the name of the cable contractor that put cable into the town about 20 years ago. I called VM up and explained this 3 weeks ago. They said that there can sometimes be a mistake in the database and said they would arrange for a 'spotter' to visit. She said that the spotter would contact me directly to tell me whether or not we would be able to get cable.

After two weeks with no news I rung them up again and the women said that they had not heard either and she emailed the spotters again.

Today, I call them, to find out what is happening. The guy I spoke to said if we had not heard anything 'within 5 days' then "you can't get cable". I didn't exactly believe what he was saying but apparently, they only get word from the spotters if a property is serviceable and nothing if not and if they had not contacted me then that means we are 'unserviceable'. I told him that I thought it was a totally ridiculous policy and he agreed with me. e.g., had they even visited the property??? There is no paper or email trail to prove that someone has been or not. He categorically stated that nothing could be done other than to provide national service through a BT line, he totally agreed with my frustration and said that they get it every day. He said they only have a web form to contact the spotters, no telephone number or email. I suggested that they just arrange for an engineer to come to install on the basis that it was a mistake but apparently that is absolutely not possible.

I've checked all of the houses on the street on the postcode checker. Many are able to get and many not. No order it seems. A quick look from the road would seem to suggest that those that can get it already have an 'ntl' box on the house.

I completely appreciate that there may well be technical issues that might prevent us getting it even if we have the cap on the pevement, but I would appreciate being called to explain that we can't get cable because of x,y or z.

Does anyone actually know if these spotters exist? How long do they take, and do they actually call you to fill you in?

I'm coming pretty close to just paying the termination fee. The way they run their business beggars belief. Are they actually trying to get new customers?

Any info/advice is appreciated! (now 3 weeks without landline or broadband!)

We are in SK12 and as far as I know this in an ex-NTL area

Mr_Moo
20-03-2009, 14:52
PM sent.

lymmranger
20-03-2009, 14:59
I live in sk12 and had similar problems

cutting along story short it took a year before spotter finally agreed we could have cable

be persistent - different operators seem to have different attitudes

.....funily enough I may still have a mobile number for the spotter but I dont think it would be a good idea to post it here (or even if I can remember where I put it)

We actually replaced the drive and found three plugs for cable - but the cable laying team said that most ducting in the area collapsed when they changed all the gas piping so all is not as it seems
.....when we finally had an install they had alot of trouble pulling the cable through (reverse "T" or similar)

Hope this helps.... talk to your neighbours... can they get it????

Good luck

AlexInCheshire
20-03-2009, 17:25
Thanks.

lymmranger: A year... I don't know if I could be that persistent.

I didn't think on the possibility of pipes being laid since. Regarding the rest of the street, many have brown ntl boxes on their house. The checker says that many can get and many can't. No order it seems if you draw a map. We live in a semi. According to the checker the property next door to us (adjoined) can't get it. However both properties either side of us can.

I just want someone at VM to actually say, "you can't get it because... " rather than the story they come out with. How do the spotters actually know whether or not we can get it anyway? Do they use any equipment?

lymmranger
20-03-2009, 17:36
Not sure about equipment - in my case I was told a similar story
- this was just after we moved in. At the time I gave up and had sky for a year. towards the end of the year (and on digging up old drive) we discovered all 3 of my cable plugs (oh and by the way I also have a cable cabinet outside the front of my house)
At this point I thought I would have another try - guy came out, had a look at the plugs and said "yep no problem"
....as already stated the actual install was a mare for the cable pullers - it took them 10mins longer than usual. The installation team being unaware of the reverse "T" snapped the cable and threw their toys out of the pram. Supervisor got cable pulling team back to pull a new one through (5mins this time) and all was well... so my only advise is do your homework and keep ringing till someone comes out - in my case spotter also did the "signing up"

AlexInCheshire
20-03-2009, 18:01
Interesting.

You say all 3 of cable plugs were in your front garden... I thought it was just one coax cable they used. Again, maybe my naivity but I thought the cable would only be on the street (under the NYNEX cap?) until you ordered, don't they need permission to put cable on your property. Is that where they pull the cable from?

lymmranger
20-03-2009, 20:09
actually no you misunderstand....

The plugs were on the boundary - actually under the hedge/pavement boundary.

2 of them were not connected to the system but one was - via a reverse "T"

...apparently the "plugs" and associated ducting were commonly installed before thye main ducting and access "manholes" - the cable pullers explained that this is the reason for the reverse "T" - they did not know where the manholes would be hence quite often got the orientation wrong - easy to understand in hindsight

...the good news for you is that NO MAPS exist therefore the inaccuraciers of the postcode (etc) checking system.

As I said earlier if neighybours on either side of you can/and do have cable then chances are so can you!!!!!

Be persistant/insistant

---------- Post added at 20:09 ---------- Previous post was at 20:05 ----------

forgot to add normally no cable under plug untill install

.... in my case they installed/pulled a cable from the cabinet, through the ducting to the plug. The install team pull it to the house on the install day terminating it at the orange plastic box on the outside of your house

AlexInCheshire
21-03-2009, 10:08
Didn't realise it was just ducting that is installed. Thought it would be like gas in that there would be a live service up to your property and that they would just need to take it in.

What I don't like especially is the use of the term "non-cable area". We don't live on a Scottish island, there are people all around with cable. This IS a cable area. I can't really believe that they would not at least try to install the service. I mean, are they trying to lose customers? Are they seriously trying to get new ones?

ruddock08
21-03-2009, 16:04
unlucky mate, i had to have a spotter and he was top ntoch, got back to me within 24 hours and was very ahppy to sit down and talk me through everything! :)

AlexInCheshire
03-06-2009, 08:38
UPDATE:

After repeatedly filling in the web form (having apparently completely exhausted the 'help' provided by the moving team) we eventually got a call from a Spotter. This was after about 2.5 months trying. He was an extremely helpful chap from the Liverpool area, even offered to come round in the evening to see us at the property.

One look at our house and he said "you can definitely get cable". Could not believe it! So, we ordered the services. I was still worried that when they came to pull the cable, the database would be proved right.

Install day came, absolutely no problems. Everything went smoothly, Very neat install through front garden lawn. Could not be better. Put the boxes where we wanted them. Minimum fuss. So now we are fully cabled up with phone, bb, and tele.

I just wish the process with the home moving team could have been a lot smoother. They need far better ways of communicating with the spotter team. We were without phone or bb service in the house for about 3 months (as I held out on getting their national service).

So in summary, another case of the famous infallible database being wrong and, when you eventually get one, a very helpful spotter. Good luck if you are having similar problems.

lymmranger
04-06-2009, 12:39
Well done - you managed it quicker than me!

.....sounds like you had the same guy as me - all the installers know him, cant remember his name though!

katyvs1
18-06-2009, 11:13
Hello

I am about to move house to the NW6 area of London. As with most other people here, next door are apparently able to get cable but not me. I have left a message on the answerphone to have someone come over to check if I can get it, but have heard nothing back. Could someone please let me know the where I can find the online form as I have just spent the last hour trying to find it but in vain!
I dont know whether I have the persistence to keep pestering them for a year though!

Thanks

Katy

Peter_
18-06-2009, 19:36
Could someone please let me know the where I can find the online form as I have just spent the last hour trying to find it but in vain!

Thanks

Here you go http://allyours.virginmedia.com/forms/unserviceableLeads.html

katyvs1
19-06-2009, 16:41
Thanks!

Katy

Albert Fish
19-06-2009, 18:21
UPDATE:

After repeatedly filling in the web form (having apparently completely exhausted the 'help' provided by the moving team) we eventually got a call from a Spotter. This was after about 2.5 months trying. He was an extremely helpful chap from the Liverpool area, even offered to come round in the evening to see us at the property.

One look at our house and he said "you can definitely get cable".

Exactly the same experience we had. Live in a sparsely cabled area, neighbour has cable, computer said no, spods on the phone said no .. gave up.

I tried again a few months later and someone mentioned a "spotter" - Key word !

Spotter came round and said no problem.

Just over one week later we're cabled up.