PDA

View Full Version : Why hackers still here ?

telfordcable
19-03-2009, 23:47
I am fed up of cheat who had been hack the modem to get 50Mbps speed while the rest of us had suffer the speed and paying for the service.

I think Virgin Media should sort out the network and replace the modem (LOCKED) without re-config it is the best way forward !.

Welshchris
19-03-2009, 23:54
its not just these people that cause low speeds on the VM network. Its VM taking on to many customers hence over subscription and then cant be bothered to do anything about it and still expect the customer to carry on paying the same ammount and then wonder why the customer asks for a discount.

telfordcable
19-03-2009, 23:57
look like many of us all heading back to ADSL2+ sooner or later if the network still overload by 2010 and still not sorted out their network UBR problem - then virgin media will be in a big trouble.

Welshchris
19-03-2009, 23:58
telford i know of loads that have gone back to ADSL because of poor services or the STM limits on VM. A lot i know have gone to Sky or Tiscalli and claim the service is far better.

*sloman*
19-03-2009, 23:59
Guess what, reading some forums 50MB config are not working and are being closed down area by area!!!

It seems the 50MB configs are being encrypted...!!!! hahahahahaha

They have lost this round!

hackor_cable
20-03-2009, 00:06
I am fed up of cheat who had been hack the modem to get 50Mbps speed while the rest of us had suffer the speed and paying for the service.

I think Virgin Media should sort out the network and replace the modem (LOCKED) without re-config it is the best way forward !.

they are all locked m8 you got it wrong they don't reconfigure them that's why every customer gets a new one and old one get binned

but iv been asked nicely by mods not to say to much about technical details or even hint at them so that what im doing.

I just came here to explain the view form the darkside so to speek and show that virgin are pulling a fast one and shift the blame for the crap speeds.

---------- Post added at 23:06 ---------- Previous post was at 23:05 ----------

Guess what, reading some forums 50MB config are not working and are being closed down area by area!!!

it very expensive for virgin to implement that and believe or not that wont stop the problem

telfordcable
20-03-2009, 00:14

I hope this is true ! and how long will 50MB configs are being encrypted until the hacker find their way to crack it ?

*sloman*
20-03-2009, 00:16
Really?

(normal config) cmreg-ntlhm200-rts98.cm

(encrypted config) TDHBUBsgvxd69834acev999

wont say any more as i will break the rules

idontpirate
20-03-2009, 00:16
I hope this is true ! and how long will 50MB configs are being encrypted until the hacker find their way to crack it ?

Its possible to hack anything, if you think. I dont think it will EVER be sorted but it will definately reduce the amount of hackers if they attempt to sort it.

hackor_cable
20-03-2009, 00:17

there is already away around that,take my word for it.

Gary L
20-03-2009, 00:20
there is already away around that,take my word for it.

I know. I've just read it :)

telfordcable
20-03-2009, 00:21
just curious myself, why is there never be any hack on BT network but only on Virgin ? What the difference ?

Some say you can't hack sky, you can't hack BT but you can hack Virgin !

Surely BT is the most powerful monoply company and BT never had any phone call hack or broadband so far !

idontpirate
20-03-2009, 00:22
just curious myself, why is there never be any hack on BT network but only on Virgin ? What the difference ?

Some say you can't hack sky, you can't hack BT but you can hack Virgin !

Surely BT is the most powerful monoply company and BT never had any phone call hack or broadband so far !

Not possible to hack a router to get a better connection since the phone line determines it. With a modem, it determines your connection speed and sorts your connection.

hackor_cable
20-03-2009, 00:28
Its very interesting subject that's why people play with the modems. Its more about discovery and the puzzle that the end result.

like i said most hackers are paying for the service anyway

*sloman*
20-03-2009, 00:30
Not possible to hack a router to get a better connection since the phone line determines it. With a modem, it determines your connection speed and sorts your connection.

BT homehub can be hacked for free internet max of 1mb

Sky can be hacked but very hard card pairing server connects etc... gets very messy

---------- Post added at 23:30 ---------- Previous post was at 23:29 ----------

Its very interesting subject that's why people play with the modems. Its more about discovery and the puzzle that the end result.

like i said most hackers are paying for the service anyway

Yeah 2mb and taking 20MB/50MB... joke

hackor_cable
20-03-2009, 00:36
nope i pay for 20 and probably will pay for the 50 as well when it live.

but im happy to do it to get around virgins ripoff traffic shaping that i never signed up for
as I said for most of us its not about free broardband

but virgin wants you to blame us and not them

xocemp
20-03-2009, 00:49
So a cmts is projected to run at best performance with X mount of modems running off it and with added cloned modems it doesn't impact on the QOS of cmts?
Could you explain how that works please?

Stabhappy
20-03-2009, 00:59

Inside ADSL routers are modems anyway. Modem just means modulation demodulation, i.e. transferring analogue signals to binary. Most internet services use a modem. I would say 100% but I can't back that up ;)

hackor_cable
20-03-2009, 01:07
So a cmts is projected to run at best performance with X mount of modems running off it and with added cloned modems it doesn't impact on the QOS of cmts?
Could you explain how that works please?
it does have an inpact

but a far smaller inpact that virgin not having enough bandwidth and serously oversubcribing the service

moaningmags
20-03-2009, 01:10
it does have an inpact

but a far smaller inpact that virgin not having enough bandwidth and serously oversubcribing the service

So, for example, VM have enough bandwith for 500 x 2Mb users, you and 3 of your friends ripping off 20Mb each will only have a small impact?

Mince!

xocemp
20-03-2009, 01:13
it does have an inpact

So lets assume your right and VM don't have enough bandwidth & oversubscribe, you taking more bandwidth than you pay for if you pay for any at all, that makes its better or the right thing to do?

And by better I mean the state of the service full paying customers get?

hackor_cable
20-03-2009, 01:17
So lets assume your right and VM don't have enough bandwidth & oversubscribe, you taking more bandwidth than you pay for if you pay for any at all, that makes its better or the right thing to do?

And by better I mean the state of the service full paying customers get?

how i taking more if i already pay for top tear service anyway like i said most of us do only advantage im getting is im getting the 20meg i pay for and not 5meg after a few downloads

I I wanted to be greeady I would hook up 4 modem and a quad wan router that load balances
now that would be greedy :D:D:D

hmm

170meg down 6meg up in bittorent and news groupes

Last Result:
Download Speed: 19448 kbps (2431 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 1644 kbps (205.5 KB/sec )
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/03/30.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

telfordcable
20-03-2009, 01:22
170meg down 6meg up in bittorent and news groupes

yeah rite .... don't believe you on this !

hackor_cable
20-03-2009, 01:27
yeah rite .... don't believe you on this !
never heard of load balanceing more than one conection

heres a link to a nice bit of kit that will load balance 4 conections
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor3300v.html

graf_von_anonym
20-03-2009, 01:29
The thieves are outweighed by the millions of legitimate subscribers, so, yes, those millions of people who are paying for their services are going to have more influence over the network as a whole, but their influence is going to be tightly constrained by what the hardware that Virgin have provided (and configured for) them can do. The elite hackers* who steal cable services interact with the network in ways Virgin can only attempt to prevent, or close off, but that doesn't mean their actions won't have consequences for legitimate users of services. The Cisco equipment ostensibly has the capability to balance load across different UBR/CMTS if the node connects to a big part of the network, and messing about with it won't do anyone any favours.

I mean, obviously, Virgin can spare the money. Their debt is being serviced with smiles and rainbows, and their staff are motivated by innate esprit de corps rather than by money. One of the first parts of Virgin Media induction, I believe, is having the appendix replaced so one can subsist on the colour red.

* I class those who pirate cable somewhere between the guy who used to steal electricity from a mate's flat and shoplifters. It's petty, trivial, pointless, an inconvenience to others, a symptom more of greed and an inability to control personal finances and desires than anything else. Cunning, yes, venal, even, but more pitiable than anything else. At least it keeps them in-doors, but it is a bit of a shame that unlike stealing electricity there's less risk of them cooking themselves.

telfordcable
20-03-2009, 01:32
hackor_cable - be careful virgin media staff are watching you and they could SWITCH OFF your connection !

xocemp
20-03-2009, 01:32
On your end, yeah that would work as would a piece of software and a little knowledge of IP & subnets, which is lot cheaper than a router, or didn't they teach you that in hacker school ;)
So educate me how you will manage from which DHCP you will be using network side?

hackor_cable
20-03-2009, 01:35
The thieves are outweighed by the millions of legitimate subscribers, so, yes, those millions of people who are paying for their services are going to have more influence over the network as a whole, but their influence is going to be tightly constrained by what the hardware that Virgin have provided (and configured for) them can do. The elite hackers* who steal cable services interact with the network in ways Virgin can only attempt to prevent, or close off, but that doesn't mean their actions won't have consequences for legitimate users of services. The Cisco equipment ostensibly has the capability to balance load across different UBR/CMTS if the node connects to a big part of the network, and messing about with it won't do anyone any favours.

I mean, obviously, Virgin can spare the money. Their debt is being serviced with smiles and rainbows, and their staff are motivated by innate esprit de corps rather than by money. One of the first parts of Virgin Media induction, I believe, is having the appendix replaced so one can subsist on the colour red.

* I class those who pirate cable somewhere between the guy who used to steal electricity from a mate's flat and shoplifters. It's petty, trivial, pointless, an inconvenience to others, a symptom more of greed and an inability to control personal finances and desires than anything else. Cunning, yes, venal, even, but more pitiable than anything else. At least it keeps them in-doors, but it is a bit of a shame that unlike stealing electricity there's less risk of them cooking themselves.

You wont risk cooking your self stealing electricity if you know what you doing.

BRB goto go warter the plants. :D:D:D

Gary L
20-03-2009, 01:37
So, for example, VM have enough bandwith for 500 x 2Mb users, you and 3 of your friends ripping off 20Mb each will only have a small impact?

As it is it's only equivalent to an extra 30 people over the proposed 500. probably not half as much as what Virgin stick on top themselves.

xocemp
20-03-2009, 01:41
As it is it's only equivalent to an extra 30 people over the proposed 500. probably not half as much as what Virgin stick on top themselves.

Perhaps you can explain then. How does adding cloned modems make it better or acceptable?

moaningmags
20-03-2009, 01:41

So that makes it ok to steal it?

Genuine customers having issues with snr or power levels, call us, we send out a tech, these hackers have no way to correct these levels.
This causes interference on the network for genuine, paying customers.

hackor_cable
20-03-2009, 01:42
On your end, yeah that would work as would a piece of software and a little knowledge of IP & subnets, which is lot cheaper than a router, or didn't they teach you that in hacker school ;)
So educate me how you will manage from which DHCP you will be using network side?

very true wingate would work
and pfsense on a spare box is a nice soluton

but I find that bit of kit a lot nice to play with

xocemp
20-03-2009, 01:46
Indeed, so do tell I'm busting to know. What about the frequencies?

Gary L
20-03-2009, 01:46
Perhaps you can explain then. How does adding cloned modems make it better or acceptable?

Perhaps someone could explain how these extra modems that don't make Virgin money compared to those extra modems that are added on to the shared bandwidth that do make them money. makes it better and acceptable?

xocemp
20-03-2009, 01:48
Tut tut, answering a question with a question GaryL, you can do better than that can't you?

hackor_cable
20-03-2009, 01:50

Genuine customers having issues with snr or power levels, call us, we send out a tech, these hackers have no way to correct these levels.
This causes interference on the network for genuine, paying customers.

yes we do

i can control the downstream with self installed drop amp variable gain on incoming and return path

dont you know anyone can screw in a attuator

if it a snr problem the cab on the blink it aint us
pluss show me a engineer fitted modem that running at the ideal signal levels and Im the pope.

---------- Post added at 00:50 ---------- Previous post was at 00:49 ----------

Indeed, so do tell I'm busting to know. What about the frequencies?

what frequences ?

Gary L
20-03-2009, 01:52

I think the stealing of bandwidth is just adding to the problem of over subscription. and the focus is being shifted to the stealing part of it.

hackor_cable
20-03-2009, 01:54
I think the stealing of bandwidth is just adding to the problem of over subscription. and the focus is being shifted to the stealing part of it.

Gary Nail Head m8

Gary L
20-03-2009, 01:55
Tut tut, answering a question with a question GaryL, you can do better than that can't you?

Stealing doesn't make it better.
now you answer my question? :)

hackor_cable
20-03-2009, 01:56
now now girls handbags down play nice with each other. :D:D:D

xocemp
20-03-2009, 01:58
what frequences ?

:LOL:

Go back to your forum and read what the real hacker may have posted ;)
Epic Fail.

hackor_cable
20-03-2009, 01:59
and whitch one would that be?

xocemp
20-03-2009, 02:04
Where did I say that VM adding paid for modems to a struggling network was ok? Please don't put words into my mouth then try and twist them. ;)

hackor_cable
20-03-2009, 02:06
xocemp answer the question then.

xocemp
20-03-2009, 02:08
xocemp answer the question then.

I have no idea which hax forum you read/post on, there are a few. ;)

Gary L
20-03-2009, 02:11
Where did I say that VM adding paid for modems to a struggling network was ok?

Nowhere.

Please don't put words into my mouth then try and twist them. ;)

I didn't. please don't panic.
any thoughts yet? :)

xocemp
20-03-2009, 02:13
No panic here sir!
Thoughts on?

Gary L
20-03-2009, 02:16
No panic here sir!
Thoughts on?

Thoughts on how these extra modems that don't make Virgin money compared to those extra modems that are added on to the shared bandwidth that do make them money. makes it better and acceptable to the paying customer and not Virgin. or Virgin and not the paying customer.

xocemp
20-03-2009, 02:23
Non what so ever, I'd paid it no mind. Plus I don't know if VM plan to oversubscribe and hope to get away with it, I'm not sure that is set as part of their business plan, however, I should think they don't project for having cloned modems stealing paid for bandwidth.

hackor_cable
20-03-2009, 02:25
or course they do as they know we been hear all along

xocemp
20-03-2009, 02:29
LOL, you still here?
Should you not be off asking someone about jtag?

hackor_cable
20-03-2009, 02:31
you going top get your self ban lol in a min

LMAO :D:D:D

you crack me up man

Gary L
20-03-2009, 02:35
Non what so ever, I'd paid it no mind. Plus I don't know if VM plan to oversubscribe and hope to get away with it, I'm not sure that is set as part of their business plan, however, I should think they don't project for having cloned modems stealing paid for bandwidth.

I pay for mine too (my work does) but I don't personally have a problem with someone stealing the bandwidth allocated to a set number when I think that it's an excuse for Virgin to shift the blame on them as to why the speeds are not sufficient to others that do pay, and not themselves for over subscribing the bandwidth in the first place.

boo hoo for them having to supply something that they can't have complete control either and hasn't even tied you into a nice 12 month contract to.

xocemp
20-03-2009, 02:44
"Think" being operative word.

you going top get your self ban lol in a min

LMAO :D:D:D

you crack me up man

I doubt it, though if a Mod wants me to remove a word then I will, it takes more than that to 'hack' a modem, you should know this, its likely you followed someones step by step guide.

hackor_cable
20-03-2009, 02:46

I doubt it, though if a Mod wants me to remove a word then I will, it takes more than that to 'hack' a modem, you should know this, its likely you followed someones step by step guide.

keep diging m8

Gary L
20-03-2009, 02:46

I know. I should have said I know but you know what people are like. they use little things as to not answer anything. they just say what they want to say and think they're right, but can't answer any questions to see where they might not be.

Mick
20-03-2009, 02:50
Oi hackor noob - give me one good reason why I shouldn't kick your arse off this forum?. I have very little tolerance for thieving scumbags.

xocemp
20-03-2009, 02:51
Apart from the "I know" the rest makes no sense. Apologies my understanding for what you are trying or not trying to say just isn't clear GaryL.

Could you please expand on the part I do understand the "I know" part.

hackor_cable
20-03-2009, 02:53
Oi hackor noob - give me one good reason why I shouldn't kick your arse off this forum?. I have very little tolerance for thieving scumbags.

because I havent broke any rules

mick serous question what do you think the bigest problem with virgins network is oversubcription or a few cloned modem ?

Mick
20-03-2009, 02:58
Seeing as I wrote most of the rules I suppose there is no harm in making another one. ;)

"People who admit to or we suspect are stealing services are not welcome and are prohibited from using CF".

Why should we provide you with a service that we give freely to paying customers?

xocemp
20-03-2009, 02:59
But clearly fanning flames by posting on a forum where fully paid for service customers post. I think this forum has enough trolls that don't steal their service and may have speed issues without having you here waving your free service, no STM modem in people's faces.

hackor_cable
20-03-2009, 03:04
mick I pay for the top tear service

whats the harm in playing with a spare modem If you read my post you would see I had said that

hacking them is a bit of fun

Gary L
20-03-2009, 03:07
But clearly fanning flames by posting on a forum where fully paid for service customers post. I think this forum has enough trolls that don't steal their service and may have speed issues without having you here waving your free service, no STM modem in people's faces.

Oh come on. do we have to scrape the bottom of the barrel already? :) he hasn't broken any of the T&C's and he may be a different view to what we want. but smoking is bad and smoking is good. there's 2 sides always. otherwise it's biased. :)

Mick
20-03-2009, 03:10
What's the harm...? Ooh let me think..

You are taking extra broadband that you haven't paid for and isn't rightfully yours.

Just because it is currently possible to do what you are doing doesn't make it a right.

---------- Post added at 02:10 ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 ----------

he hasn't broken any of the T&C's .

I'll be the judge of that thanks.

hackor_cable
20-03-2009, 03:12
What's the harm...? Ooh let me think..

You are taking extra broadband that you haven't paid for and isn't rightfully yours.

Just because it is currently possible to do what you are doing doesn't make it a right.

how am taking extra when Im already paying for the fastest service they do

buy pluging my own modem in ?

---------- Post added at 02:12 ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 ----------

mick by they way have you guest who i am yet ?
do you remember me yet?

xocemp
20-03-2009, 03:18
Oh come on. do we have to scrape the bottom of the barrel already? :) he hasn't broken any of the T&C's and he may be a different view to what we want. but smoking is bad and smoking is good. there's 2 sides always. otherwise it's biased. :)

And after reading your many posts GaryL do we have to go in the direction of you siding with whatever will draw the most amusement for you to side with weather you believe in the cause or no. And then drawing debate to it for your own pleasure?
Not my kind of game sir. I'll beg your forgiveness and decline, good look fishing :)

hackor_cable
20-03-2009, 03:28
beds time i guess school day ?

Gary L
20-03-2009, 03:33
And after reading your many posts GaryL do we have to go in the direction of you siding with whatever will draw the most amusement for you to side with weather you believe in the cause or no. And then drawing debate to it for your own pleasure?
Not my kind of game sir. I'll beg your forgiveness and decline, good look fishing :)

I am not siding. I have an opinion.
but it's too late now, I see the signs of can we please close this thread it's not going the way I want it to go. others have an opinion not confirming to mine.

:(

---------- Post added at 02:33 ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 ----------

beds time i guess school day ?

English tomorrow :(

xocemp
20-03-2009, 03:41
Which opinion Gary L?
The "scraping the bottom of the barrel" or the opinion sorry "knowing" you have of VM knowingly oversubscribing?
I refer you to post # 66 :)

English tomorrow :(

Come on, scraping the bottom of the barrel already? Mocking the mans English, and after you defended his English skills in another thread.

hackor_cable
20-03-2009, 03:41
Lmao

Gary L
20-03-2009, 03:53
Which opinion Gary L?

My opinion I have on this subject and its contents.

The "scraping the bottom of the barrel"

That was way later and of no relevance.

or the opinion sorry "knowing" you have of VM knowingly oversubscribing?

I do know that they oversubscribe. I know from being told by support in the Virgin media news groups where support have openly stated that this is the case in some areas.

I refer you to post # 66 :)

Not my kind of game sir. I'll beg your forgiveness and decline, good look fishing

Post 66 was where you say to everyone that GaryL should be hanged because I can put the questions, but when asked I need a get out clause. :)

xocemp
20-03-2009, 04:04
I hardly think that VM N|group support know if a business model is proposed and actioned to knowingly oversubscribe a network. Do you think they would be privy to this information?

hackor_cable
20-03-2009, 04:19
yes they do that is the buissness model

thats how they make there dam money

if they sell 20meg cons for they current price and every one uses there 20meg to capacity they lose money.

they rely on those that only use it for www and email for a few hours a day

buy over subscribing they increases there profit margin more

they truth is they can not provide a 24/7 20meg connection and make any money out at the subscription price.

the bottom line in case as with anything.
hence why they dont bother with cloners much is because i cost more to stop em that it will cost to stick there heads in the sand.

what they will do is blame us till they sign up more on 50meg then add inprove the network a bit an pretend there aint no clones

like they did last time when the 20meg was launched

Raistlin
20-03-2009, 08:21
Clarification: A Person who cracks/reflashes a cable modem to steal services from any company is not a 'Hacker'. At best they are a 'Cracker', if people really must romanticise these things, in reality though they are nothing but a 'Thief' (or T413f if you will).

Thank you. This has been a public service broadcast on behalf of real Hackers everywhere.

Zhadnost
20-03-2009, 09:49
mick I pay for the top tear service

You have already admitted that you use it to avoid STM, If you want a servcice without STM, you should pay the premium to have the Business version.

You have also admitted that you have managed to use one of the 50Mbit profiles in a non 50Mbit area, how's that only getting the service you pay for?

Milambar
20-03-2009, 09:56
Clarification: A Person who cracks/reflashes a cable modem to steal services from any company is not a 'Hacker'. At best they are a 'Cracker', if people really must romanticise these things, in reality though they are nothing but a 'Thief' (or T413f if you will).

Thank you. This has been a public service broadcast on behalf of real Hackers everywhere.

I felt like making this clarification myself, but I figured it was pointless as the mass media has repeatedly tarred both hackers (people who push the limits of their own computers and systems without harming or stealing from others) and crackers with the same brush for so long, 99% of people probably wont accept theres a difference anymore.

jamiefrost
20-03-2009, 10:10
they truth is they can not provide a 24/7 20meg connection and make any money out at the subscription price.

Could you please let me know who this mythical ISP is please!

Face it no matter how you try to justify it you're stealing and that makes you a thief.

'I pay for the top tier......' just does cut it, you already admitted that you use it to bypass STM and your using a 50Mb config file.

By the way you have signed up for STM it was part of the T&C's if you didn't like when it came into force you should of canceled you account. But then you wouldn't be able to use your pitiful excuse of 'I pay for the top tier'

JJ

hackor_cable
20-03-2009, 10:42
You have already admitted that you use it to avoid STM, If you want a servcice without STM, you should pay the premium to have the Business version.

You have also admitted that you have managed to use one of the 50Mbit profiles in a non 50Mbit area, how's that only getting the service you pay for?

why pay for what you can get for free i usually use Business version for free anyway

Zhadnost
20-03-2009, 10:44
Err, can you please learn to quote correctly, that looks like I'm admitting to stealing a service.

Raistlin
20-03-2009, 10:49
I've fixed the quote for you.

hackor_cable
20-03-2009, 10:53

---------- Post added at 09:53 ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 ----------

Err, can you please learn to quote correctly, that looks like I'm admitting to stealing a service.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34757730-post67.html you already did admit it

not that bright as technically you still broke Da law.
Da law is Da Law after all :D:D:D

and admitted it to vermin at the same time with a IP that traceable to your address

zing_deleted
20-03-2009, 11:05
I have to admit I quite admire the script writers that can crack code or find exploits. Not impressed with those that use their skills to write malicious code though. I quite like the arguements that go around the scene in the NFOs of certain things when someone propers someone elses cracked release. lol

I also do no judge harshly those who modify cable boxes or buy those capable with regular firmware updates also I do not really care about those who use cloned modems. I partly blame VM for making it easy anyway the modifications to the boxes have been around for years specially if you do include the chipped analogue boxes.
I am on a retention deal which is good enough value so I do not feel the need to get it free.

The thing is this (and this is directed to those who come here and brag about their so called skills) cableforum has close ties to VM it liaises with some staff to offer support to those who need it. Because of this tie those who come here and brag or whatever they do are going to be met with hostility and at the end of the day just stir it up for the rest of us. You have you own underground your own forums why do you feel the need to stir up crap here? its not big and its not clever

*sloman*
20-03-2009, 11:08
how am taking extra when Im already paying for the fastest service they do

buy pluging my own modem in ?

---------- Post added at 02:12 ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 ----------

mick by they way have you guest who i am yet ?
do you remember me yet?

funcard_4 ?

hackor_cable
20-03-2009, 11:22
[/B]

funcard_4 ?
nope

Mick
20-03-2009, 11:23
:zzz:

hackor_cable
20-03-2009, 11:24
I have to admit I quite admire the script writers that can crack code or find exploits. Not impressed with those that use their skills to write malicious code though. I quite like the arguements that go around the scene in the NFOs of certain things when someone propers someone elses cracked release. lol

I also do no judge harshly those who modify cable boxes or buy those capable with regular firmware updates also I do not really care about those who use cloned modems. I partly blame VM for making it easy anyway the modifications to the boxes have been around for years specially if you do include the chipped analogue boxes.
I am on a retention deal which is good enough value so I do not feel the need to get it free.

The thing is this (and this is directed to those who come here and brag about their so called skills) cableforum has close ties to VM it liaises with some staff to offer support to those who need it. Because of this tie those who come here and brag or whatever they do are going to be met with hostility and at the end of the day just stir it up for the rest of us. You have you own underground your own forums why do you feel the need to stir up crap here? its not big and its not clever

At one time half of em were trading doggy box in private forums while spouting the usual in public here there properly still doing it.

zing_deleted
20-03-2009, 11:26
I know of VM staff that do it also but this is a tech support forum . If you have the skills you say you do put them to good use and help people here with netwrok problems and the like

hackor_cable
20-03-2009, 11:28
:zzz:
hey mick you remember last time you got the gob on

and I give some work to do by screwing up the forum for you
and the nthell clan server got rooted

remember mr clone :D:D:D

Wayfair
20-03-2009, 11:34
Got a feelin we are in for some fun... /me sits back and gets the popcorn out.

Gary L
20-03-2009, 11:36
Got a feelin we are in for some fun... /me sits back and gets the popcorn out.

They're going to get boring and start chatting about the good ole days :)

xpod
20-03-2009, 11:43
I need to play devils advocate i`m afraid.:erm:
No matter how many times these threads appear i can never get my head round it.....
How many of the people that call these guys thieves in these threads...which undoubtedly they are...use their paid for service to steal copious amounts of content from newsgroups & torrents sites etc?
Regardless of ones Copyright beliefs it`s still illegal to download Copyright is it not?
It`s completely Trollish to come boasting about it here on CF for sure but mabey some of those taking the bait need to think twice before responding the way they do in these types of thread.;)

Or do the two not compare in some peoples eyes??

Zhadnost
20-03-2009, 11:46
Totally agree, theft is theft.

Whether it's someone using a dodgy CM config to screw all other subscribers on the same UBR out of the bandwidth they have paid for, or from large faceless corporate entities, it's still theft and should be punished accordingly.

Oh, before anybody asks, no I have never stolen from the stationery cupboard at work.

Gary L
20-03-2009, 11:49
No matter how many times these threads appear i can never get my head round it.....
How many of the people that call these guys thieves in these threads...which undoubtedly they are...use their paid for service to steal copious amounts of content from newsgroups & torrents sites etc?
Regardless of ones Copyright beliefs it`s still illegal to download Copyright is it not?

Good point xpod.
I wonder if they have such a strong view to some of the things mentioned in the illegal thread that is running.

xpod
20-03-2009, 11:57
Good point xpod.
I wonder if they have such a strong view to some of the things mentioned in the illegal thread that is running.

You took the thoughts right outta my head.
I was wondering what would happen if we cross-referenced that particular thread with all the "which newsgroup/how do i speed my torrentz up" threads then cross-referenced all them with all the "Cable stealing scumbag" threads...

Mabey the "thieving scumbag" could write us a script to do the job for us.
No offense thieving scumbag;)

Horace
20-03-2009, 13:58
Good point xpod.

It's a good point if you're simple-minded and you consider all theft to be equal in effect. Would you compare a driver who kills someone in an accident to a cold-blooded murderer; it must be the same because they both take away a life. Would you stand back from criticising crack dealers because you drink coffee or smoke nicotine? It looks like Homer Simpson's logic has gone mainstream.

Copyright infringement *may* affect the company selling the product *if* you were intending to buy the product and even then it doesn't exclude the possibility of you buying the product if you decide you want a 'real' copy. Also, all file transfer protocols have legitimate uses and the use of them doesn't automatically mean you're transferring copyrighted material.

Most people stealing from VM are long term thieves who have no intention of trying before they buy and will continue to steal bandwidth from VM's legitimate customers for as long as they can get away with it.

Gary L
20-03-2009, 14:16
It's a good point if you're simple-minded and you consider all theft to be equal in effect. Would you compare a driver who kills someone in an accident to a cold-blooded murderer; it must be the same because they both take away a life. Would you stand back from criticising crack dealers because you drink coffee or smoke nicotine? It looks like Homer Simpson's logic has gone mainstream.

So stealing from Virgin is different to stealing from another company. we know that.
but what is different to where one person is stealing from, compared to who you are stealing from? why should one thief think he is a lesser thief than the other?

Russ
20-03-2009, 14:21
I think it's also to do with behaviour. Many people who download films/music/games etc tend not to brag about it. As we've seen here and in previous threads, those who use cloned modems or 'chipped boxes' often do.

zing_deleted
20-03-2009, 14:22
grrrrrrr pet hate its modified boxes not chipped lol lol lol

Russ
20-03-2009, 14:25
Which is why I put inverted commas around it :angel:

Kymmy
20-03-2009, 14:27
:tu: Chipped comes from the old times when you had to add a piggyback chip or even change the eprom... These days it's all firmware based... even for the games consoles..

Chris
20-03-2009, 14:29
... just as 'debugging' used to be the process of literally scraping dead insects out of the innards of early computers, where their dead bodies had a tendency to cause short circuits and malfunctions.

zing_deleted
20-03-2009, 14:34
:tu: Chipped comes from the old times when you had to add a piggyback chip or even change the eprom... These days it's all firmware based... even for the games consoles..

hope you dont think your teaching me owt just posting that for everyone elses refference ;)

Chris
20-03-2009, 14:39
Look, here's granny learning to suck eggs:

http://www.ite.edu.sg/%7Ecrweb/itenews/Archived%20Issues/2004/Jun%2004/06_04_31.jpg

:D

Russ
20-03-2009, 14:41

It's still easier to call them 'chipped' as more people will understand it that way.

Kymmy
20-03-2009, 14:54
hope you dont think your teaching me owt just posting that for everyone elses refference ;)

Nah, if I wanted to teach you out I'd teach you how to fault find a multi-layered PCB and then the best techniques of hot air soldering;)

Mind you I've not done that now for about 10 years :(

zing_deleted
20-03-2009, 15:34
ive got enough hot air to get good at that lol

Raistlin
20-03-2009, 15:35
ive got enough hot air to get good at that lol

.....well I didn't want to be the one to have to say it :D

Zhadnost
20-03-2009, 15:48

The last Wii hack I saw was a chip that you soldered onto the board.

xpod
20-03-2009, 17:19

I did say..."Regardless of ones Copyright beliefs".
Theft is still theft is it not?
Is one "thieving scumbag" really so different from the other or is the copyright thief just a bit peeved because he wants an £££/STM free line too and he dont like Mr bandwidth thief to come boast about it in his forum?

Just talking about murderers in the same breath as Bandwidth/Copyright thieves is more akin to Homers logic if you ask me but then what would i know about either eh.....:erm:

Also, all file transfer protocols have legitimate uses and the use of them doesn't automatically mean you're transferring copyrighted material.

You dont say.And there was me thinking i`d been stealing Linux for the last 3 years.;)

EDIT:The last Wii hack I saw was a chip that you soldered onto the board.

Me too ;-)

Maggy
20-03-2009, 17:30
It`s completely Trollish to come boasting about it here on CF for sure but mabey some of those taking the bait need to think twice before responding the way they do in these types of thread.;)

Or do the two not compare in some peoples eyes??

Quite a few of us actually...As I regard both as theft.

I'm more upset by copyright theft though(which I've been told repeatedly is NOT a crime) than by people with battered,chipped,fried or otherwise fixed hardware attempting to gain something for nothing(note I didn't say it's stealing).However just because 'everyone' is doing it doesn't make it right,moral and if it's ever actually made a crime well I hope they enjoy their day in court...

xpod
20-03-2009, 18:08
Quite a few of us actually...As I regard both as theft.

Yeah,i class both as theft too(because that`s what the law says) but i would never slate someone for stealing the bandwidth when i`ve done just as bad(in my eyes) by downloading the odd thing i probably shouldn`t have.
That was what i was asking though so i`m sure your not actually one of those who do maggy.Unless it was the last part of my post you were refering to.:)