PDA

View Full Version : Wireless use using apple ibook and airport extreme router

David65
19-03-2009, 10:48
Hi,

After a couple of years of poor connection using a Scientific Atlantic modem Virgin have now sent me a new modem (their own brand) which so far is working brilliantly (compared to the old one) apart from not allowing me to set up my wireless network. Using the old modem I had no problems with the wireless network using a Apple Mac iBook G4 and an Airport Extreme router. However since receiving the new modem I just can't get my wireless set up to work. It works fine connecting the virgin modem directly to the iBook using an ethernet cable. I have noticed a thread discussing how to set up a wireless network using the router supplied by Virgin but before having to give up on my aiport extreme router was hoping someone could help me setting this up.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Stuart
19-03-2009, 10:53
:welcome: to the forum.

First, you need to unplug the VM modem from the mains, leave it about 30 seconds then plug it in.

Then , when the modem lights have settled, plug the Airport into the modem and unplug that from the mains and plug it back in. Now connect the Airport via Ethernet to the Mac. Can you access the internet if connected via Ethernet to the Aiport?

If you can, try a wireless connection.

Peter_
19-03-2009, 10:55
It should just work if you do as Stuart C says as most Apple products are plug and play.

David65
19-03-2009, 11:17
I tried the above suggestion to no avail. Just to check what you asked me to do, am I meant to be connected by ethernet both to the airport and to the modem at the same time as I don't appear to have enough ports for this?

Chris
19-03-2009, 11:22
Nope, just run your ethernet cable from the Mac to the Airport, to make sure you can at least get a wired connection from it.

Peter_
19-03-2009, 11:23
Airport to modem and reboot them in sequence modem then airport and you should get a connection.

Pushkar
19-03-2009, 11:46
Airport to modem and reboot them in sequence modem then airport and you should get a connection.

Yep, I have an Airport Express and You need to make sure the internet port is connected to the modem. Then you should have 4 other ethernet ports for direct connections while also having wireless facilities.

Obviously just connect the modem and router together, then run Airport Utility and use as Create a new wireless network as you probably know. If it doesn't work a reboot of the modem may be required.

Download Failed (1)

David65
19-03-2009, 16:48
Thanks for all the advice - it would help if I wasn't such an idiot! In my haste to follow the first set of instructions when I replugged the ethernet cable into the airport extreme base station I plugged it into the LAN port rather than the WAN port. Once I had retraced my steps and plugged the cables in correctly and followed the turn off and on procedures as described I was once again able to connect to my previously set up wireless network.

Thanks again - it always amazes me how much help you get from forums such as these.

Peter_
19-03-2009, 16:50
Thanks for all the advice - it would help if I wasn't such an idiot! In my haste to follow the first set of instructions when I replugged the ethernet cable into the airport extreme base station I plugged it into the LAN port rather than the WAN port. Once I had retraced my steps and plugged the cables in correctly and followed the turn off and on procedures as described I was once again able to connect to my previously set up wireless network.

Thanks again - it always amazes me how much help you get from forums such as these.
I bet you had a red face, most people have done similar.