PDA

View Full Version : Bandwidth Usage

telfordcable
18-03-2009, 16:37
I think Virgin Media should add customer zone via member account to see their latest up to date usage allowance on their broadband before being STM on it for next 5 hours. How does virgin media know of every customer's usage allowance.

I haven't download anything from last night from 9pm until now but it appear that I am now on STM throttled. Seem very unfair if VM got it wrong.

chickendippers
18-03-2009, 16:55
Yes they should add a bandwidth tool into Selfcare. The limiting is administered via the hardware in the UBR I believe. Not sure how easy it would be to implement.

Ignitionnet
18-03-2009, 17:05
Yes they should add a bandwidth tool into Selfcare. The limiting is administered via the hardware in the UBR I believe. Not sure how easy it would be to implement.

Trivial, the functionality has been in IOS and the DOCSIS standard for years. VM probe every CMTS every 5 minutes and have a massive data store for this information, only remotely strenuous bit would be exposing these additional fields to the public.

Remember doing this wouldn't make Virgin any money or allow them to save money which is the major driver for anything that Virgin do.

Hugh
18-03-2009, 17:07
Trivial, the functionality has been in IOS and the DOCSIS standard for years. VM probe every CMTS every 5 minutes and have a massive data store for this information, only remotely strenuous bit would be exposing these additional fields to the public.

Remember doing this wouldn't make Virgin any money or allow them to save money which is the major driver for anything that Virgin do.
It would probably be fair to replace "Virgin" with "any company"...... ;)

Welshchris
18-03-2009, 17:18
actually what i would like to see instead of a bandwith tool is some kind of facility where u can login using ur user and password and see ur daily rates of usage.

telfordcable
18-03-2009, 17:22
actually what i would like to see instead of a bandwith tool is some kind of facility where u can login using ur user and password and see ur daily rates of usage.

Yes I agree! That's what I want as how we gonna to get a genuine proof of STM hit us if we never downloading anything and VM will tell us show me your proof ?

Ignitionnet
18-03-2009, 17:30
It would probably be fair to replace "Virgin" with "any company"...... ;)

Not really, there are companies that offer this or additional data without the requirement to do so and without making profit from it.

Perhaps I'm just feeling cynical having felt a lot of the VM sales machine recently. I am considering doing a bit of research into the CapEx Vs marketing spend that VM have relative to their peers in Europe and North America.