PDA

View Full Version : General Speed and Install Q's

Gavster2002
18-03-2009, 10:45
Hi guys, new to the forum so Hello All,

I have been reading the forum and seen lots of good tips about checking and improving you download sppeds etc, I have the 20MB package and tested my speed on speedtest. it reported 15MB ish down on 3 separate occassions with about 750k up.
I installed TCP optimiser and cranked the settings up to the 20MB end of the slider, and still getting same results. Any idea where i may be loosing my other 5MB. to my knowledge I am not a heavy user (approx 1GB a day) so should not be getting capped? My modem was new about 12 months ago so it should not be that causing speed problems, but my router is approx 5 years old, could this be where the bottleneck lies?

I am planning to upgrade to the 50MB when it hits Hemel Hempstead, so will get a new router then if that is what the prob is.

Also for those who have gone from 20MN to 50MB, does the engineer have to get to the wall socket at all? or does he use exsiting cables to swap out modem? just need to know whether i need to move my computer desk out so he can get to the wall socket or if its not needed?

Any advice would be appreciated and i give you my thanks,

Gav

Stabhappy
18-03-2009, 10:48
is it a stable 15mb? if so, it could be the router and would be worth trying another or direct to modem.

Peter_
18-03-2009, 10:49
Check out the link below, you can get the Netgear N router from Virgin for £25 as it is quite likely a 5 year old router is causing your speed issues and it could also be a wireless B router so not as secure as later routers.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33647028-virgin-media-n-router-available-all.html

Gavster2002
18-03-2009, 11:02
wow, I think those are the quickest replies I have ever got! Thanks guys.

is it a stable 15mb? if so, it could be the router and would be worth trying another or direct to modem.

I have not tried a direct connection, its a good idea to rule out any router bottlenecks. will give it a go and post back results when i go home for lunch.

you can get the Netgear N router from Virgin for £25 as it is quite likely a 5 year old router is causing your speed issues and it could also be a wireless B router so not as secure as later routers.

I think if i can be sure it is the router causing the problem, then I will wait and get the router for free when taking the 50MB package, but £25 is a great price if i decide to hold fire on the 50MB.
I think my security is ok as i use WPA with hidden ssid and DHCP locked down to my specific mac address of equiptment. I know WPA2 will be better but I will be upgrading with this wireless n router soon enough and can set WPA2 then.

Is there anything else I can check when bypassing my router at lunch?

Thanks

Gav
Gavster

Gavster2002
18-03-2009, 14:40
Yep, looks like it is my router. Connected directly to the modem via CAT5 and got my 20MB straight away. reconnected the router and down to 15MB. Looks like I need an upgrade... good job the new 50MB has a free router!

Thanks for all the help

Gav