PDA

View Full Version : VM newsgroup Q

*sloman*
17-03-2009, 13:22
Hi All

Does anyone know if i download from VM's newsgroup will this trigger STM?

Thanks
*sloman*

jellybaby
17-03-2009, 13:29
Yes. Its all included in the calculations

*sloman*
17-03-2009, 13:34
**** bags its internal is it not?

No problem thanks for the reply jellybaby

Kymmy
17-03-2009, 13:38
Nope, it still goes throught the main bottleneck which is at the UBR...the news servers are provided by a 3rd party company

General Maximus
18-03-2009, 18:56
they have made it crystal clear that anything and everything you do will count towards your ass being traffic managed even if it is something as trivial as browsing webpages.

Milambar
18-03-2009, 19:10
Hmm, that "anything and everything" makes me wonder if the ARP traffic is also counted? Yanno, the "WHOHAS ..... TELL ....." stuff you see when an ethernet card is in promiscuous mode.

Ignitionnet
18-03-2009, 20:05
Hmm, that "anything and everything" makes me wonder if the ARP traffic is also counted? Yanno, the "WHOHAS ..... TELL ....." stuff you see when an ethernet card is in promiscuous mode.

I'm not sure if broadcasts are counted but I wouldn't have thought so, everything else though certainly. Port scans, old torrent traffic bouncing off your router, whatever so long as its' destination is your IP address.

If you were cynical enough and had access to the bandwidth you could certainly throw garbage traffic at a Virgin user until they triggered STM.