PDA

View Full Version : Millenium Stadium Hotels

LSainsbury
16-03-2009, 20:54
Hey all,

I know a few of you here are from Cardiff and the surrounding area so I'm after some advice!

We are planning to get U2 tickets for Cardiff and I was wondering where the nearest hotels are - if they have any rooms left that is.

Failing that, some were else in the city or just outside.

Also - what about parking around the stadium?

Cheers

Lee

Russ
16-03-2009, 20:55
I'd go by train if you can - Cardiff Central is dead opposite it.

There are loads of hotels within half a mile of the Millenium, there's a Marriott Hotel about a quarter of a mile away too.

superbiatch
16-03-2009, 21:01
A bit unrelated, but do you know when the tickets go on sale? I saw them a few years back and it deffo goes down as one of the best concerts I've EVER been to - you won't be disappointed :tu:

LSainsbury
16-03-2009, 21:02
Train is not really an option - we'd have to get to Reading for a direct train and it'll be late coming back - can't be doing with the hassle and spending £60+ on fare - we'd rather drive and stop overnight.

I've checked a few sites - including The Parc (Thistle group) - how far away is that?

---------- Post added at 21:02 ---------- Previous post was at 21:01 ----------

A bit unrelated, but do you know when the tickets go on sale? I saw them a few years back and it deffo goes down as one of the best concerts I've EVER been to - you won't be disappointed :tu:

For Wembley and Cardiff - this Friday we think!

superbiatch
16-03-2009, 21:06
For Wembley and Cardiff - this Friday we think!

It is, says so on ticketmaster website. Thought they were playing Manchester again, looks like i'll have to go to Sheffield :rolleyes:

Use Booking.com and state near to millennium stadium - will show you how far away the hotels are, and prices at a glance.

Russ
16-03-2009, 21:11
The Parc is a good idea, about half a mile away so that's about a 15 minute walk. It also has a NCP near it too.

LSainsbury
16-03-2009, 21:26
The Parc is a good idea, about half a mile away so that's about a 15 minute walk. It also has a NCP near it too.

It also has no rooms available...

Think we may have left this organisation a bit late! :rolleyes:

Russ
16-03-2009, 21:30
You can always try somewhere like Bridgend, it's 15 miles away with very easy access.

http://www.conferences-uk.org.uk/Conference_Venues_Wales_Mid_Wales.asp?venue=Expres s%20By%20Holiday%20Inn%20BRIDGEND - the top one is right on the M4 junction.

cookie_365
16-03-2009, 21:30
I usually try to stay in the Novotel which is about 10 minutes walk away though not through the best part of Cardiff :) It's also a bit pricey but there's a budget hotel from the same chain right next door; I can't remember which brand it is.

The Marriott and Holiday Inn and Jurys are right in the city centre 5 mins away from the stadium and they're fine too.

Or you could stay at an out of towner and get a cab to/from the stadium - the Copthorne is quite good.

LSainsbury
16-03-2009, 21:34
I usually try to stay in the Novotel which is about 10 minutes walk away though not through the best part of Cardiff :) It's also a bit pricey but there's a budget hotel from the same chain right next door; I can't remember which brand it is.

The Marriott and Holiday Inn and Jurys are right in the city centre 5 mins away from the stadium and they're fine too.

Or you could stay at an out of towner and get a cab to/from the stadium - the Copthorne is quite good.

None of those have any rooms either - we're now looking at out of city options and driving in and parking.

So where's closest parking to the stadium? I'm aware that this might cost a small fortune as it's a major city!

Russ
16-03-2009, 21:35
None of those have any rooms either - we're now looking at out of city options and driving in and parking.

So where's closest parking to the stadium? I'm aware that this might cost a small fortune as it's a major city!

Mate go for Bridgend! Cheaper and pretty close! Link above.

There's an NCP carpark a few hundred yards away, there's also a carpark in the railway station but that's likely to be full anyway.

superbiatch
16-03-2009, 22:12

Going from whats happened to you, i've just booked a hotel right near to the don valley stadium - now i've just gotta get tickets to the concert :dozey:

LSainsbury
17-03-2009, 09:07
Going from whats happened to you, i've just booked a hotel right near to the don valley stadium - now i've just gotta get tickets to the concert :dozey:

Nice one! Fully refundable I hope? :)

---------- Post added at 09:07 ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 ----------

Going back to my issue, probably one for RussB - how much would a taxi be from the outskirts of the city to the stadium - 4.5 / 5 miles?

Russ
17-03-2009, 09:10
Hard to say really, plus Cardiff isn't all that car-friendly when it comes to moving about in the city centre. I'd say around a tenner.

LSainsbury
17-03-2009, 09:22
Hard to say really, plus Cardiff isn't all that car-friendly when it comes to moving about in the city centre. I'd say around a tenner.

That's not bad split between 4 of us....

---------- Post added at 09:22 ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 ----------

What will be the chances of actually getting a taxi after the concert - advisable to book it?

Russ
17-03-2009, 09:42
Extremely adviseable.

LSainsbury
17-03-2009, 10:20
Looks like that's sorted then!

Thanks Russ

superbiatch
17-03-2009, 10:57
Nice one! Fully refundable I hope? :)

Of course ;)

superbiatch
20-03-2009, 08:56
Good luck getting your tickets - I'm poised ready to go for mine :dozey:

Correction - I now have my tickets purchased :D

Will21st
21-03-2009, 09:24
Going to Cardiff as well,GA! :D:D

Taf
21-03-2009, 10:20
The main centre hotels fill up quickly... even the Hilton, so I would suggest trawling the B&Bs on either Cathedral Road or Newport road... both within easy walking distance, usually with on street (free) parking.