PDA

View Full Version : Qos advice on WNR2000

pabscars
16-03-2009, 11:29
Has anyone any experience of using the Qos setup on the vm supplied Netgear WNR2000.

Im thinking of trying to setup the Qos feature on the above mentioned router, and as ive never used or come across this feature before and was hoping for a little help and advice on the best way to set it up.

Currently I have

1 x Laptop (wireless)
1 x PC (wireless)
1 x xbox 360 (wired)
1 x PS3 (wired)

All the above are on fixed ip address's set up in the router config, port forwarding and reduced MTU to 1400 has been done for the PS3, ive tried this for the xbox also but it hasnt improved at all, also tried dmz to no avail.

The main benefit's I,m hoping to glean from someone is how to limit the ammount of bandwidth used by the pc and laptop (or prioritise the consoles), for when online gaming as they effect my connection considerably eg when the wife is downloading from youtube etc.

Also in hopes to help stabilise my connection for online gaming purely on the xbox,

The PS3 is running beautifully so i dont want to change that if possible.

On the whole since I upgraded to XXL BB, online gaming has improved but not really on the xbox 360, The PS3 has massively improved, so i,m thinking the xbox is more fussy about fluctuations in bandwidth possibly but i dont know.

Any feedback is welcome

broadbandking
16-03-2009, 12:08
All it does is make sure one piece of a equipment doesnt hog all the bandwidth and also so you dont go over limits.

pabscars
16-03-2009, 12:16
All it does is make sure one piece of a equipment doesnt hog all the bandwidth and also so you dont go over limits.

Yes i kind of understand how it works in principle, but i,m not sure how to set it up, how much bandwidth i should alot to each piece of kit, eg how much is required for the pc's etc.

I read somewhere that it can be advantageous for gaming as some applications require constant speeds to operate effectively.

leexgx
16-03-2009, 16:09
if your on 50mb the seems the router can only handle 30-40mb speeds from my tests with QOS on, as my downloads would not go any faster then
4MB/s QOS + bandwidth set to 1mb or 1000kbs,
5mb if QOS only,
6.4MB/s QOS off (bandwidth control is tied into QOS option so if its off it turns off bandwidth even if its is ticked)

if QOS is turned on and your downloading at the speed of the router can handle when turned on the router will go very slow when trying to goto other pages on the router

guess we need to wait for the gigabit routers as thay have faster CPUs in them

on top of that the netgear router does not alow you to set it to your real upload limit as well on the throttler you can only pick 1mb or 1000kb
--------
make sure your not uploading, Xfire, p2p, bbc iplayer,DNA client (Hidden service) on any of them, if oyu are haveing ping problems allso make sure the router is set to WPA2 for best speed as WPA1 or web can only handle 3MB/s over Pre N stuff on this router

pabscars
17-03-2009, 08:16
if your on 50mb the seems the router can only handle 30-40mb speeds from my tests with QOS on, as my downloads would not go any faster then
4MB/s QOS + bandwidth set to 1mb or 1000kbs,
5mb if QOS only,
6.4MB/s QOS off (bandwidth control is tied into QOS option so if its off it turns off bandwidth even if its is ticked)

if QOS is turned on and your downloading at the speed of the router can handle when turned on the router will go very slow when trying to goto other pages on the router

guess we need to wait for the gigabit routers as thay have faster CPUs in them

on top of that the netgear router does not alow you to set it to your real upload limit as well on the throttler you can only pick 1mb or 1000kb
--------
make sure your not uploading, Xfire, p2p, bbc iplayer,DNA client (Hidden service) on any of them, if oyu are haveing ping problems allso make sure the router is set to WPA2 for best speed as WPA1 or web can only handle 3MB/s over Pre N stuff on this router

Thanks for the info, handy to know,

i dont do lots of downloading anyway, just to odd demo from xbox live or psn,

I,l just give it a go and see how it goes, and if if i make a town halls of it, so be it. :(