PDA

View Full Version : How much should i be Paying?

Bulky
15-03-2009, 15:56
I have 10mb broadband (cable not adsl) and am currently paying £24.47 a month for the privlege. It says on the virgin media website that 10mb is £15 for the first 6 months and then £20 a month after that . I tried ringing virgin today and got the usual excellent customer service , one told me it was because i was recieving anti virus ??? (never once got free anti virus) so i told him i never had it and didn't need it anyway as i always buy my own, he then put the phone down on me. The next person told it was right , they were just on a promotional amout for new customers , i understand the £15 is promotional but not the £20. I explained this to him and he said he couldn't help ??? , i would have to ring customer service which was shut ( i was speaking to billing) .
any help appreciated as always .

chuzzlemonkey
15-03-2009, 16:10
I think what they wanted you to speak with Customer Relations (retentions/disconnections) who don't open on a sunday. To be fair they'll be able to get you the £20.00 price but i wouldn't hold your breath for the initial 6 month discount.

The PC GUARD features such as anti virus aren't chargeable on BBI:L anyway so I can't see why that would be the reason. Check your bill, there shouldn't be any PCGUARD features on there. Might be useful if you could paste your service charges from the bill onto this thread?

Bulky
15-03-2009, 17:27
thanks for that , not bothered about the 6 month discount , just want to be paying what i should for 10mb, never heard of pcguard , will check my next statement , i recieve no other service from virgin so it just seems they 'forgot' to adjust my price :( . I would have thought i was also entitled to a refund for overcharging me for a period which i will find out ???

telfordcable
15-03-2009, 17:29
I am paying 10Mb for £10 a month (12 months contract deal) £11 a month but £1 discount with ebilling and direct debit. I am happy with £10 a month.

chuzzlemonkey
15-03-2009, 17:34
I am paying 10Mb for £10 a month (12 months contract deal) £11 a month but £1 discount with ebilling and direct debit. I am happy with £10 a month.

In which case you're on a deal that is no longer in existance.
Either that or you're confused over how much you're paying :D

At the end of your 12months you won't get that price renewed im afraid.

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:31 ----------

thanks for that , not bothered about the 6 month discount , just want to be paying what i should for 10mb, never heard of pcguard , will check my next statement , i recieve no other service from virgin so it just seems they 'forgot' to adjust my price :( . I would have thought i was also entitled to a refund for overcharging me for a period which i will find out ???

Its not a case of forgetting to adjust your price. As technically the £20 price is for new customers only. (Which also means no refund is likely either) But to be fair the company has taken a decent turn in allowing existing customers to take new customer costs upon acceptance of a new contract.

telfordcable
15-03-2009, 17:35
In which case you're on a deal that is no longer in existance.
Either that or you're confused over how much you're paying :D

At the end of your 12months you won't get that price renewed im afraid.

After 12 months I will be renewal 10Mb for £10 a month hopefully for another 12 months if I battle it out with disconection department supervisor as I will find a way to get myself a good deal. ! £10 a month is better than nothing and far sensible not to waste £40 extra a month of 50Mb. I don't need 50Mb speed, nor 20Mb.

chuzzlemonkey
15-03-2009, 17:37
After 12 months I will be renewal 10Mb for £10 a month hopefully for another 12 months if I battle it out with disconection department supervisor as I will find a way to get myself a good deal. ! £10 a month is better than nothing and far sensible not to waste £40 extra a month of 50Mb. I don't need 50Mb speed, nor 20Mb.

I deal with disconnections. I guarantee you that you will not get that price again. The company is set to have a more structured pricing scheme, whereby customers end up paying a similar amount to each other. If you wish to keep the services you'll need to pay the cost just like everyone else does :)

telfordcable
15-03-2009, 17:39
I deal with disconnections. I guarantee you that you will not get that price again. The company is set to have a more structured pricing scheme, whereby customers end up paying a similar amount to each other. If you wish to keep the services you'll need to pay the cost just like everyone else does :)

IF that in case, VM going to lose me as a customer ! Bye bye after my 12 months is up ! I do believe that they don't want to lose me and will offer me another deal again !

BenMcr
15-03-2009, 17:41
Minimum price for broadband now is £18 for BB S now isn't? And anyone who gets BB S must be bonkers

---------- Post added at 17:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:40 ----------

IF that in case, VM going to lose me as a customer ! Bye bye after my 12 months is up ! I do believe that they don't want to lose me and will offer me another deal again !
They may offer you another deal, but it wont be £10 for broadband

chuzzlemonkey
15-03-2009, 17:43

Paying what you're paying for the service you're getting. You may not be seen as a worthwhile customer to have to be honest. Sorry telfordcable.

---------- Post added at 17:43 ---------- Previous post was at 17:41 ----------

Minimum price for broadband now is £18 for BB S now isn't? And anyone who gets BB S must be bonkers

Indeed. they may aswell bring back the 512K service with the ridiculous STM levels on BBS.

telfordcable
15-03-2009, 17:44
They will !!!

Because next year there will be 10Mb, 20Mb and 50Mb and a trial of 100Mb as the lower at 10Mb is a minimum of £18 a month (lucky me of a deal of just £10 a month with ebilling discount) but that will fall the price next year ! Because of no longer on 2Mb, 4Mb!

BenMcr
15-03-2009, 17:45
You will not get a broadband deal for £10!!! It doesn't exist

Oh and 10Mbit will be minimum of £20 a month (excluding short term offers) on e-billing from 1st May

chuzzlemonkey
15-03-2009, 17:46
lol telfordcable...you won't get 10mb for £10 again. They're phasing out retention discounts for solus broadband customers.

telfordcable
15-03-2009, 17:48
Virgin Media should be fair play to everyones on longer term contract rather than new customer!

Price for 2010/11:

10Mb M - £11
20Mb L - £ 22
50Mb XL - £43
100Mb XXL - £64

BenMcr
15-03-2009, 17:50
Well whatever they do with the speeds the standalone prices will stay:

M - £20
L - £20/£25
XL - £35/£37
XXL - £50

You will only get a better deal if you take additional services i.e a phoneline

chuzzlemonkey
15-03-2009, 17:50
They won't offer new customers BBI:L on its own for £10 either, though. Like we've said. IT DOESNT EXIST.

Some offers may arise like £10 when you take a telco line...but not on its own.

telfordcable
15-03-2009, 17:54
Here is my ebilling:

Description Date/period Amount
Broadband Size: L 21 March - 20 April £18.00
Loyalty Discount 21 March - 20 April £-7.00

Service other £-1.00
Description Date Amount
E Bill Discount 21 March £-1.00

Amount due £10.00
Direct debit date 20/03/2009

chuzzlemonkey
15-03-2009, 17:57
Right ok. Well you have 2 deals applied to your account. Which in all fairness you shouldn't have. And i wouldn't be surprised if the account integrity team picked this up (eventually) and put you back up to the correct loyalty cost, which is £17 with ebill.

BenMcr
15-03-2009, 17:58
Yup, the discount that makes BB L show as £18 lasts a maximum of 12 months, and usually only 6 months.

The £7 discount will remain though

chuzzlemonkey
15-03-2009, 18:00
yup

telfordcable
15-03-2009, 18:05
Well I had a letter of new 12 months contract showing of £18.00 per month of L size broadband only with a loyalty discount -£7.00 per month for 12 months deal.

So, VM cannot change it now as it was too late after we had agreement in a new 12 months deal of £11.00 per month for L broadband until March 2010.

BenMcr
15-03-2009, 18:07
As has been said, you may well keep the price to 2010, but you will not get it again.

chuzzlemonkey
15-03-2009, 18:08
They've only just put that deal on? They really shouldn't have to be fair.

And i agree with you that they will now need to honour that price till the end of the 12 months. After which time you wont get that again.

Also don't be surprised if you find yourself calling up to get the discount reapplied as usually this is taken off (part of the discount) as your not supposed to have it. :td:

When it happens don't say i didn't warn you :)

telfordcable
15-03-2009, 18:09
As has been said, you may well keep the price to 2010, but you will not get it again.

Fair enough ! How much will the 10Mb become to in 2010 ?

BenMcr
15-03-2009, 18:10
Er, how am I supposed to know?

What we are talking about is the discounts you are getting, not the price.

You will get £7 off whatever standard price BB L is when the other offer expires

Based on the fact that the standard price for the BB L tier has not ever changed (it has always been £25) I doubt it will

telfordcable
15-03-2009, 18:11
They've only just put that deal on? They really shouldn't have to be fair.

And i agree with you that they will now need to honour that price till the end of the 12 months. After which time you wont get that again.

Also don't be surprised if you find yourself calling up to get the discount reapplied as usually this is taken off (part of the discount) as your not supposed to have it. :td:

When it happens don't say i didn't warn you :)

I know this is why I am very lucky indeed after agreement with manager of VM to offer me this deal for 12 months (on the credit crunch reason)

chuzzlemonkey
15-03-2009, 18:15
You are lucky...but jsut because a manager applied it doesn't mean they wont take it off, leaving you with a mess to sort out later on. But yea, best advice i can give with that is if it happens just call them and they'll apply credits to cover the remainder of the contract for you.

---------- Post added at 18:15 ---------- Previous post was at 18:14 ----------

Er, how am I supposed to know?

What we are talking about is the discounts you are getting, not the price.

You will get £7 off whatever standard price BB L is when the other offer expires

Based on the fact that the standard price for the BB L tier has not ever changed (it has always been £25) I doubt it will

You mean you dont have a crystal ball? :D

telfordcable
15-03-2009, 18:29
Nah, I won't ring them up. I am happy with what I got now until March 2010 then I will decide myself if I carry on with 10Mb or upgrade to other special offer deal. Who know ?

chuzzlemonkey
15-03-2009, 18:31
Nah, I won't ring them up. I am happy with what I got now until March 2010 then I will decide myself if I carry on with 10Mb or upgrade to other special offer deal. Who know ?

No what i was saying was if the discount does get removed within the 12months (which could happen) then make sure you call them because they will reapply it for you for the remainder of the contract.

telfordcable
15-03-2009, 18:37
No what i was saying was if the discount does get removed within the 12months (which could happen) then make sure you call them because they will reapply it for you for the remainder of the contract.

Ok thank for the advice ! I shouldn't be too worrying because I had the agreement letter in my hand ! I can fax them through to them if they took that discount off within the next 12 months to reapply my claim back.

Wish I could have 50Mb for £5 a month (12 months) I know I sound bit tight git ! :)

chuzzlemonkey
15-03-2009, 18:40
lmao! a bit tight AND a bit of a wishful thinker aswell mate! lol.

Keep hold of that letter aswell! :tu: