PDA

View Full Version : 50MB install question

sallan2000
15-03-2009, 13:59
Hi,

I currently have 20MB BB and have recently bought a new router as my old one went pop!

What would be the costs of getting 50MB installed if I do not need the router and USB dongle?

My cable modem is in my bedroom currently (previous owners choice but seems to be fed from my living room???) but all my kit is my living room, would the engineer move the location of the cable modem as part of this upgrade if I asked the advisor at upgrade time?

My bill has my BB charged at £37 before any discounts are applied.

Thanks

Stevie

xocemp
15-03-2009, 14:11
Same cost with or without the router. The router is a freebie

BenMcr
15-03-2009, 14:17
You also don't say have if you only have Broadband.

If you do that it is worth asking them to put a phoneline in

BB XXL by itself is around £50

BB XXL with a phoneline is £46

Install would be £50 activation + minimum £30 install

sallan2000
15-03-2009, 14:21
whats the activation charge for?

If its like the last install they just called in for the switch to be flipped.

I had VIP package then dropped movies and sports, currently XL TV, XL BB and XL Phone V+box and second box in bedroom.

BenMcr
15-03-2009, 14:21
Sorry to sound blunt but the activation charge is for the 50Mbit to be activated.

Don't want to pay it - don't get 50Mbit

Best bundle would be Triple XL 50 + second STB @ £5 = £73 as long as you are paying £0 V+ rental

sallan2000
15-03-2009, 15:16
Thats a terrible answer! you are missing the point of my question.

I have always paid a premium for my services and I have no problems paying for engineer visits but a charge for what is at most a bit of account configuration is a bit grinding.

If I was asked for £50 for a new and impoved cable modem, I might not like it but at least you have something tangible for the expense. Are new customers asked for this activation cost?

BenMcr
15-03-2009, 15:17
Yes they are

And you do get a new cable modem - which is why the 50Mbit service can only (currently) be installed by an engineer

sallan2000
15-03-2009, 15:24
Out of interest, when I moved to 20MB a new cable modem had to be sent out to me as my old Motorola Surfboard could not handle the new rates, in your opinion why does an engineer have to install the new cable modems if they just shipped ones in the past?

Are VM just trying to extract as much dosh from customers as poss or is there any technical reasons for it?

chuzzlemonkey
15-03-2009, 15:31
Out of interest, when I moved to 20MB a new cable modem had to be sent out to me as my old Motorola Surfboard could not handle the new rates, in your opinion why does an engineer have to install the new cable modems if they just shipped ones in the past?

Are VM just trying to extract as much dosh from customers as poss or is there any technical reasons for it?

Virgin were giving customers the option at the time to either have a technician out and pay £25.00 for the privelage or have one posted out and set it up themselves.

You didn't have to have a technician out?

These days if you do have to have a manned modem swap due to your speed they'll do it for free.

---------- Post added at 14:31 ---------- Previous post was at 14:29 ----------

50mb has to have a technician visit, though.

Why?

At the moment VM have decided to go down the 'dedicated install' route. Where the tech will actually install the modem and the wireless home networking all for you.

I imagine in the future they may change this? Just a guess, though.

sallan2000
15-03-2009, 15:48
Interesting...

I cannot believe people are letting a VM tech setup their router for them!

I have taken my time to tweak settings to get the best balance of features and performance for my needs, I know most just want the networking to work and might be happy with the defaults.

It just seems strange sending someone out for what should be a simple task (barring any complications that is)

BenMcr
15-03-2009, 15:53
It's a case of it is a new product - a premium product - using new technology. They want to make sure it is done correctly - which is more likely sending a tech than not.

I don't doubt a somepoint in the future it will become as self install product. But not at the moment

Again, its a simple choice - no one needs 50Mbit, but if you want it be prepared to pay what Virgin ask

Also most people don't have an 'N' router/adapter. So even if you have tweaked your existing set up it is useless. G routers will no do 50Mbit

xocemp
15-03-2009, 15:54
It may not be just a simple "plug and go" install, maybe there will be a need to make an adjustment at the CAB.
Also not everyone is as technically skilled as you so setting up the router is just a nice gesture, if you want to set your router up just let the tech know, I'm sure he'll be delighted to get on his way faster.

chuzzlemonkey
15-03-2009, 16:32
if you want to set your router up just let the tech know, I'm sure he'll be delighted to get on his way faster.

Course he would! lol :p:

General Maximus
15-03-2009, 19:02
Yes they are

And you do get a new cable modem - which is why the 50Mbit service can only (currently) be installed by an engineer

that is where the rip off is. When I have received a new modem in the past it arrived in the post, i connected it and rang a number to register the MAC address and that was it. There is nothing the engineer did this time round that I couldnt have done myself, if anything he made things worse. He ran a speed test from the VM servers and I only pulled 26mbit and he was ready to log it asa fault and call his boss (which he said he had done for his previous visit that afternoon) and luckily i ran a test on speedtest.net and it was fine. The £50 charge really is a waste of VMs time/labour and my money.

BenMcr
15-03-2009, 19:05
Whatever it is, it's part of the charge for 50Mbit. Virgin don't have to justify it to anyone!

It's the price of early adoption!

Remember ADSL services used to have to be by tech install and cost around £50/£60 for activation and now they are all done by post