PDA

View Full Version : Upstream transmit Power Level

traction1
15-03-2009, 12:02
Hi, I was just wondering if the upstream transmit power level is too high or if it's ok.
Thanks for any suggestions in advance :)

Upstream levels:

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 6
Upstream Frequency : 22000000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 61.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Downstream levels:

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 6
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : -10.0 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 30.7 dB

scoobydoo[uk]
15-03-2009, 12:15
Way too high, you need an engineer out for that.

Although it depends on your service, are you getting speed issues?

Peter_
15-03-2009, 12:15
Yes you need to call Tech Support with that, are you having any issues.

traction1
15-03-2009, 12:18
The internet works, but does seem very slow, and is the Downstream Recieve power level ok or not?

Peter_
15-03-2009, 12:24
The internet works, but does seem very slow, and is the Downstream Recieve power level ok or not?
You will need a Tech Visit to sort out the power levels as both are out and will probably cause speed issues.

caph
15-03-2009, 13:35
Just a word of warning, I had three engineers out to sort out a similar upstream power level. Every single one of them said that they were unable to correct upstream power level issues using various excuses and every one of them left me with the same upstream power level as when they arrived.

Miraculously a few days after the last engineer visit, my upstream power level dropped from over 60 to it's current level of 55.5 - 56.5 (and I got a downstream speed test of just under 20Mb earlier today with those levels). The main thing I noticed was that my modem event log was filling up with "New UCD in effect" messages. When this happened my speed was around 1Mb (should be 20).

If it's any help, my upstream power jump (according to the engineer) coincided with my "exchange" (or whatever the correct term is) having its UBRs changed to the new units to support 50Mb broadband. It lasted for a few weeks only.

traction1
15-03-2009, 14:43
Thanks!, any other ideas to what might be causing the problem because it never used to be that high,could it be to do with crapy cable or something like that?

traction1
15-03-2009, 19:40
I tried connecting the modem before the splitter which splits the coax between the tv and modem. when I did this the uplink transmit poer went down to 55.0 dBmV and the downstream power level went to -3.0 dBmV, does this mean the splitter is the problem?

Axegrinder
15-03-2009, 19:50
Sounds like dodgy cable/connection somewhere, tighten all the connections up then check the levels again

Impz2002
15-03-2009, 19:52
that would suggest the splitter was the problem, maybe it needs replacing unless splitters use some sort of attenuation annd is boosting the signal.

traction1
15-03-2009, 20:01
Thanks, however I did have another splitter that i brought and tried that but the same happened again.

Peter_
15-03-2009, 20:54
Thanks, however I did have another splitter that i brought and tried that but the same happened again.
I really would advise you to call Tech Support so they can sort it for you, and I would not fit items that Virgin have not supplied as it could have an adverse effect on your equipment.

Ignitionnet
16-03-2009, 06:47
I tried connecting the modem before the splitter which splits the coax between the tv and modem. when I did this the uplink transmit poer went down to 55.0 dBmV and the downstream power level went to -3.0 dBmV, does this mean the splitter is the problem?

How many ports does this splitter have for output? A 2 port splitter should drop your signal no more than 3.5dB or so, a 3 port however if you're on the one of the two double split ports will do 7dB.

---------- Post added at 06:47 ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 ----------

I really would advise you to call Tech Support so they can sort it for you, and I would not fit items that Virgin have not supplied as it could have an adverse effect on your equipment.

Meh cable is cable, buy right, fit right, keep it tight, all is good. Bit like a marriage.

traction1
16-03-2009, 11:39
It's a small splitter with two outputs (2 port)