PDA

View Full Version : Connectivity problem, very odd

Ryoden
15-03-2009, 08:21
Ok the brief history of my usage:

Started with virgin 7 years ago, I got a belkin router 6 years ago and started using utorrent around the same time. I have had no problems with anything up until recently (around January 2009).

Basically the problem is this - when I leave utorrent running during the day when I am at work or overnight when I am in bed (and even sometimes during the evening) the router suddenly drops all connection to the internet and the connected light which is usually solid, starts flashing.

Now at first I thought, "Oh the router is old and I had better get a new one"
So I ordered the free Netgear one that Virgin provides.

After spending 40 minutes on the phone with the helpdesk person trying to get it to work (it came with no instructions) he said he would get someone more intelligent to call me back in 2 hours. I thought "Frack that" and connected the modem directly to the PC, went online downloaded the instructions and managed to get it working in under 5 minutes.

So the new router is installed and working, oddly utorrent couldnt get off the red icon so it wasnt working very well but it was working well enough for a test and I left it on overnight.

When I rose in the morning I had the same problem, the new router had cut off all connection to the internet.....

Now what I want to know is, has anyone else encountered a similar problem or could anyone suggest any possible reason?

Thanks

Peter_
15-03-2009, 10:34
Post what modem you have and your power levels from your config pages of your modem. The should be a sticker on the bottom saying what model.

Open a browser and in the address bar put or click the link > http://192.168.100.1/ the password and username are both root if required.

What I want you to post is the Downstream power levels including the SNR and the Upstream power levels for me thanks.

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER

Ryoden
15-03-2009, 14:31
Post what modem you have and your power levels from your config pages of your modem. The should be a sticker on the bottom saying what model.

Open a browser and in the address bar put or click the link > http://192.168.100.1/ the password and username are both root if required.

Modem data below:-

Name
WebSTAR DPX100

Hardware Version

Software Version
1.0.5 r1.1.3 (cm.update.bin)

Receive Power Level
0.45 dBmV

Transmit Power Level
38.50 dBmV

Cable Modem Status
operational

What I want you to post is the Downstream power levels including the SNR and the Upstream power levels for me thanks.
DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER

I hope the above data is what you needed. Below is the router I am currently using.

Belkin wireless G router
Model F5D7230-4
Version 2001UK
I am using an ethernet cable not wireless though.

I switched back to the belkin since the new router was causing an issue in utorrent in that the normally green smiley was now red and stayed red despite port forwarding. I gather the router info was not what you asked foe but i thought I would mention it in case it was relevant.

Peter_
15-03-2009, 14:43
Can you check the Downstream frequency as it should be either 331000000 or 339000000 if it is neither of the above then click http://192.168.100.1/gscan.cgi?freq=0 and your modem frequency will set to 0, reboot and cycle to the correct frequency.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can call Tech Support on the numbers below and speak to an agent about your modem.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 3 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ryoden
15-03-2009, 15:25
How do I check my downstream frequency?

Peter_
15-03-2009, 15:32
How do I check my downstream frequency?
That should be 192.168.100.1/gscan.htm for a DPX100, or you can do http://192.168.100.1/gscan.cgi?freq=0 even click if you want and your modem frequency will set to 0, reboot and cycle to the correct frequency.

Ryoden
15-03-2009, 15:41
That should be 192.168.100.1/gscan.htm for a DPX100, or you can do http://192.168.100.1/gscan.cgi?freq=0 even click if you want and your modem frequency will set to 0, reboot and cycle to the correct frequency.

Downstream Frequency
331250000 Hz

so do I need to click the other link you gave me to reset it?

Peter_
15-03-2009, 15:46
Downstream Frequency
331250000 Hz

so do I need to click the other link you gave me to reset it?
Yes or try and change it in the lower box to 331000000 and click the restart button, check it has reset if not call Tech Support as the modem will require replacement.

Ryoden
15-03-2009, 15:58
Ok I changed the lower value and now both of them read

Downstream Frequency
331000000 Hz

I assume now I just wait and see if that makes any difference yes?

Peter_
15-03-2009, 16:00
Ok I changed the lower value and now both of them read

Downstream Frequency
331000000 Hz

I assume now I just wait and see if that makes any difference yes?
Yes if you have to reset it frequently the call Tech Support but at least you can reset it as a temporary measure.

Ryoden
16-03-2009, 07:14
Amazing, it seems to have worked. 24 hours with no connection dropout, thanks for the tip.

Can you explain why that works exactly as I have never even heard of it before and i like to know why things work for future reference if its not to much trouble.

Stabhappy
16-03-2009, 07:21
It tells the modem to get back in sync with the exact channel frequency, the problem is that if it shifts again there's a problem with the service (perhaps power levels variating wildly in spikes) which causes the modem to resync to a slightly off frequency - it'll work, but is unstable. A bit like being a few hertz off a radio station, you get interference.

Ryoden
16-03-2009, 07:38
Ahh I see thanks, I was wondering why it was the router that appeared to drop the connection (connection light flashing) rather than the modem, which is why I initially focussed on the router.

Peter_
16-03-2009, 07:55
It tells the modem to get back in sync with the exact channel frequency, the problem is that if it shifts again there's a problem with the service (perhaps power levels variating wildly in spikes) which causes the modem to resync to a slightly off frequency - it'll work, but is unstable. A bit like being a few hertz off a radio station, you get interference.
It is the modem that is the problem not the service, the frequency drift is a known issue with DPX100 models and if a regular occurrence will need replacing.

Ryoden
16-03-2009, 08:31
OK cheers.