PDA

View Full Version : Going From Constant 50 Mb to 3-10 Mb?

shiwayb
14-03-2009, 12:50
ok 2 days ago i had the 50 mb Installed.

Constant 50 Mb but yesterday night and today its dropped right down to 3-10 mb.

Anyone got any ideas???

Upload remains about the same.

Raistlin
14-03-2009, 12:51
How hard have you been hitting the downloads? How much have you been downloading?

shiwayb
14-03-2009, 12:58
How hard have you been hitting the downloads? How much have you been downloading?

At MOST i downloaded about 60 Mb.

Surfed online for like 5 hours

Played online on the Xbox 360 + PC for like 4 hours each.

This is across the 3 days.

Thats about it.

telfordcable
14-03-2009, 13:01
lol - you are throttling down 3-10Mb !! That Virgin for you !!

chuzzlemonkey
14-03-2009, 13:02
I'd keep an eye on it if i were you. If it happens just once more get on the phone to VM.

Your speed should be maitnained at around 50mb.

telfordcable
14-03-2009, 13:07
I'd keep an eye on it if i were you. If it happens just once more get on the phone to VM.

Your speed should be maitnained at around 50mb.

it pointless to phone vm as they don't care about your 50mb speed. you are throttling !!! there is nothing they can do about it !!! or you could downgrade to 10Mb.

shiwayb
14-03-2009, 13:11
it pointless to phone vm as they don't care about your 50mb speed. you are throttling !!! there is nothing they can do about it !!! or you could downgrade to 10Mb.

phoning them right now

chuzzlemonkey
14-03-2009, 13:17

As i said, his speed should not have been affected.

And it doesn't matter if they care or not. Its their job to sort it out.

xocemp
14-03-2009, 13:21
lol - you are throttling down 3-10Mb !! That Virgin for you !!

There is no STM on 50 Mbit

chuzzlemonkey
14-03-2009, 13:22
There is no STM on 50 Mbit

True. Check your small print, though. Its subject to trials for the STM.

telfordcable
14-03-2009, 13:27
Ok, let me tell you this, my brother's best mate Rob is work for Virgin Media installation tech, as he told my brother and me not to bother with 50Mb as VM had a secret trial of STM on 50Mb area by area time to time wouldn't NOT tell you because they want money off you to upgrade to 100Mb in 2011/12. Once all the 50Mb is complete by late September 2009 then it will added STM for XXL on the site with 85% throttling speed on XXL, 75% throttling speed on XL and 70% throttling speed on L and all of it with 24-7 STM from October 2009.

chuzzlemonkey
14-03-2009, 13:42
As I just said its not a SECRET as its highlighted in your terms of service that your 50mb service is subject to trials.

Good rant though :tu:

shiwayb
14-03-2009, 13:56
Ok been on the phone.

It was an english guy!!!!!!

They have a "special" call centre for 50 Mb Customers :p:

He was very helful.

The fix was to install "TCP Optimiser" evertime i tunr on the modem.

Getting Constant 5.4 Mb download again.

However the guy said that you have to accept fluctuations on your connection.

Ignitionnet
14-03-2009, 14:00
Ok, let me tell you this, my brother's best mate Rob is work for Virgin Media installation tech, as he told my brother and me not to bother with 50Mb as VM had a secret trial of STM on 50Mb area by area time to time wouldn't NOT tell you because they want money off you to upgrade to 100Mb in 2011/12. Once all the 50Mb is complete by late September 2009 then it will added STM for XXL on the site with 85% throttling speed on XXL, 75% throttling speed on XL and 70% throttling speed on L and all of it with 24-7 STM from October 2009.

Because of course installation techs half of whom are outsourced would know what the Data and IP engineering teams are doing to the CMTS. :rolleyes:

A chat with one of the guys in the team that would be implementing it says nothing has been played with as yet.

broadbandking
14-03-2009, 14:17

I don't think you brothers mate has any idea of what he is talking about, as the new STM trials don't have daytime STM so your 24/7 throttling comment is wrong, as for limits pretty muich the same as now, but 50Mb throttled speed has not yet been confirmed I would guess its between 10Mb and 15Mb but thats me guessing.

Monkey is correct STM trials are covered in T&C's

telfordcable
14-03-2009, 14:28
where are the T&C's then ?

broadbandking
14-03-2009, 14:30
On the website

shiwayb
14-03-2009, 14:30
wow it fluctuatues sooooo much....

broadbandking
14-03-2009, 14:39
We reserve the right to remove by immediate notice material placed on our servers by you or other users which we, in our reasonable opinion, believe violates this agreement or is otherwise harmful to our interests or the interests of other users of the interactive services and/or internet access.
We reserve the right to monitor and control data volume and/or types of traffic transmitted via the interactive services on your Virgin TV and/or Internet access. In the event that you exceed any usage allowance applicable to your Internet access or your use does not comply with the 'acceptable use policy' which you can read on the Virgin Media website, we reserve the right (at our sole discretion) to reduce, suspend or terminate your Internet access. During any time of reduction or suspension, you will remain liable for the payment of your original level of Internet access charge. We also reserve the right (at our sole discretion) to re-grade your Internet access to a different speed and/or usage allowance at the appropriate charge. If we make such changes we will notify you as soon as possible.
There you they reserve the right so that means trials can be run because they reserve the right to restrict you service where they deem acceptable.

shaggybpc
14-03-2009, 15:04
If all is gonna be STM'd 24/7 then that would be commercial suicide for Virgin.

Sirius
14-03-2009, 15:11

Are you confirming that 50 meg is having STM tested on it ????. Because i have it directly from the team at VM who manage and control 50 meg that its not, so who is correct. Will have to have a chat with them on Monday when i am back in work.

chuzzlemonkey
14-03-2009, 15:12
Are you confirming that 50 meg is having STM tested on it ????

As far as i'm aware at the moment there are no STM trials in place at the moment.

There will be at some point, though.

broadbandking
14-03-2009, 15:18
Are you confirming that 50 meg is having STM tested on it ????. Because i have it directly from the team at VM who manage and control 50 meg that its not, so who is correct. Will have to have a chat with them on Monday when i am back in work.

You know aswell as me there will be STM introduced on 50Mb I was just suggesting they can trial STM on 50Mb as covered by the T&C's

shiwayb
14-03-2009, 15:21
down to 1 mb.....

Not good after 2 days....

Sirius
14-03-2009, 15:22
However this was written so as to make people believe it was on now.

I took that as 50 meg is subject to trials now. I know they will be doing it in the future however i know they are not doing it at the moment and you "broadbandking" know why i know.

broadbandking
14-03-2009, 15:22
If all is gonna be STM'd 24/7 then that would be commercial suicide for Virgin.

There won't be 24/7 STM otherwise OFCOM won't allow this or the ASA as the complaints that would roll in would cause a massive uproar and Virgin would have alot of disconnections

Sirius
14-03-2009, 15:24
down to 1 mb.....

Not good after 2 days....

Yep mine is down to 3 meg at the moment. Not impressed one little bit.

Edit

Now back up again, I don't know why it fluctuates so much

chuzzlemonkey
14-03-2009, 15:25

It wasn't written as to make people believe that Sirius. It was your interpretation of it. Sorry if you misunderstood :tu:

broadbandking
14-03-2009, 15:25

I took that as 50 meg is subject to trials now. I know they will be doing it in the future however i know they are not doing it at the moment and you "broadbandking" know why i know.

I know why but they most likely won't annouce trials you enjoying your 50Mb Sirius

chuzzlemonkey
14-03-2009, 15:26

And just to confirm, this was my response to the person who said there was no traffic management....clearly agreed with him ;)

Ignitionnet
14-03-2009, 16:03
Yep mine is down to 3 meg at the moment. Not impressed one little bit.

Edit

Now back up again, I don't know why it fluctuates so much

Warrington should be great considering the work that went into it, as you know :(

I can't wait for the next gen CMTS here, I'm on my 3rd upstream SNR issue in a month in an area that sits below VM's recommended level for 16QAM, the standard NGCMTS config, so once I'm on a nice heavily combined service group it'll rock. May be why it's so far over 3 weeks past initial plan, waiting until they've sorted it.

GazCBG
14-03-2009, 16:21
Hi,

I noticed my 50mb is dropping down to between 1-15mb sometimes.

I mainly notice it when on the newsgroups as it has the speed in NewsBin.
When my speed does drop I go to speedtest.net and run a test and that normally matches what NewsBin says, I also have a speedtest mini on my VPS which also matches what the other 2 says.

But within 10 minutes it back to normal, I would say it happens maybe once, twice at max per day

Overall I am happy with the 50mb service

shiwayb
14-03-2009, 17:06
phoned up VM

Very Helpful.

Going to send round a Engineer to have a look.

At least they are doing something unlike my previous ISP.

chuzzlemonkey
14-03-2009, 17:13
Don't be afraid to ask the tech as many questions as you like when he turns up. You can learn a thing or 2 off them!

telfordcable
14-03-2009, 17:17
you are waste of time of send an engineer round as what he would do ? he will look at it and will doing nothing. Last time i had 3 tim,es engineer come round to my house, they kept replaced modem and off he went, he never bother to check speed or cable box outside.

Waste of time.

broadbandking
14-03-2009, 17:18
you are waste of time of send an engineer round as what he would do ? he will look at it and will doing nothing. Last time i had 3 tim,es engineer come round to my house, they kept replaced modem and off he went, he never bother to check speed or cable box outside.

Waste of time.

Your not on 50Mb tho

telfordcable
14-03-2009, 17:23
if it was 50mb then they would the same thing all over again. i can see the newsgroup of many fed up vm customers of kept repeating send out engineer at all times, saw one of them had 12 times engineer send out and still doing nothing.

VM need to re-training many awful poor tech men as they don't do their job proper.

shiwayb
14-03-2009, 17:26
Your not on 50Mb tho

LOL!

Yes we get English Tech Support :angel:

And i was told he will do speedtests and replace modem etc.

I have conifdence in them!

I will not let him leave untill its sorted :p:

telfordcable
14-03-2009, 17:27
I will not let him leave untill its sorted :p:

How u gonna to hold him until it sorted it out ?

shiwayb
14-03-2009, 18:00

it was joke....

chuzzlemonkey
14-03-2009, 18:36
Sheesh! lol

broadbandking
14-03-2009, 18:38

People have done that trust me