PDA

View Full Version : New Sunny Delight!

m419
13-03-2009, 20:48
The Gerber Juice company which took over the UK operations of Sunny Delight Beverages from Procter and Gamble has launched a newer version of Sunny Delight in the UK.

The latest version is made with proper fruit juices(80%),no added sugar and no added artificial colours or sweetners. This is a good move for a brand/product that gained a bad reputation! And beats Robinsons and Fanta as it has more fruit juice and no sweetners or added sugar.

In 2006 they brought out a version which had less sugar and less crazy ingredients, the orginal Sunny Delight when it came out had Vegetable oil in it!!!! What the hell was that for because it didnt harm the flavour without it!

And that story will always make me laugh when that stupid girl turned Orange, she was 4 years old and her mother gave her nearly 14 litres of Sunny Delight in a 24 to 36 hour period, she turned orange because she had a high intake of the natural colouring (Beta-Caratene) which is found in most orange coloured drinks including Robinsons and Fanta, apparently its formed from oranges and carrots and is a rich source of vitamin A. Everything should be done in moderation, they where stupid to give a child that much anyway!

After visiting the American site, the drink hasnt improved much at all. No lessons learnt there! And the French version is just the same as the American one!

I wonder why those countries dont complain about the high sugar content ect..... like they did here? Thought the french would be! lol

The new website is here:
www.sunny-d.co.uk

Whats your views on this?

Maggy
13-03-2009, 20:51
I don't care what they add or take away I'm never going to drink the muck.

superbiatch
13-03-2009, 20:53
They always tasted concentrated and horrible to me :dozey:

m419
13-03-2009, 20:54
I don't care what they add or take away I'm never going to drink the muck.

To be honest I think its just the same brand name they are using,i bet it doesnt even taste the same.

I think its a bad move using the same name, they should use another name, according to Gerber,they hold the licence to use Ocean Spray,they should have used that!

Chris
13-03-2009, 21:00
I always thought it was far too gloopy and sweet. Mrs T and I will never allow it in the house, no matter what they do to the formula. I can't help wondering why they think there's money to be made out of pushing this brand in the UK. It's pretty well discredited. Surely it's better to forget it and start something new?

chuzzlemonkey
13-03-2009, 21:03
Trying not to be inappropriate here..but once i drank a big bottle of the limited edition 'KIWI' flavour Sunny D.

My wee was green for 2 days! I even went to the doctors with green wee!

I never want to wee green again...therefore Sunny D can do whatever they like to their ingredients, I'm stearing clear!

papa smurf
13-03-2009, 21:05
it was banned in my house years ago, its rubbish with a happy name.

cimt
13-03-2009, 21:26
Am I the only one who actually liked Sunny Delight?

m419
13-03-2009, 21:30
I had to go out and try it, bought some just now from Morrisons, and its selling! It tastes like a watery version of Tropicana,in other words it does taste more pure and its not as thick as it was LOL. They also had Apple and blackcurrant, and that was kinda see through so its nothing like the thick one. Like I said they have just adopted the name. I kinda like this new one!

---------- Post added at 20:30 ---------- Previous post was at 20:28 ----------

Am I the only one who actually liked Sunny Delight?

Well I have been drinking it since it launched and liked the taste but not the ingredients, but its forever changing in this country! Its practically pure juice now.

homealone
13-03-2009, 23:39
Well I have been drinking it since it launched and liked the taste but not the ingredients, but its forever changing in this country! Its practically pure juice now.

There is nothing 'wrong' with the ingredients, but it begs the question why they think this product will compete with natural fruit juice.

It should be borne in mind that even 'pure' fruit juice can contain relatively high levels of sugar & is usually fairly acidic - not a good combination for your teeth.

Flavour-wise a 'not from concentrate' pure fruit juice wins every time, in my opinion...

danielf
13-03-2009, 23:44
Flavour-wise a 'not from concentrate' pure fruit juice wins every time, in my opinion...

Hmm, grape juice in particular. Fermented... ;)

homealone
14-03-2009, 00:20
Hmm, grape juice in particular. Fermented... ;)

well that reduces the sugar content - less tooth decay ;) :D

Chris
14-03-2009, 00:27
but more liver decay ... :D

homealone
14-03-2009, 00:58
but more liver decay ... :D

Livers allegedly can regenerate ;)

Chris
14-03-2009, 01:02
I'd better go to bed so mine can get started then ...

papa smurf
14-03-2009, 11:30
well that reduces the sugar content - less tooth decay ;) :D

so alcohol is just good sugar ----result;)

Chris
14-03-2009, 12:56
Funnily enough I remember my dentist telling me years ago one of the good things about going to university was that you tend to stop drinking coke and start drinking beer, which is a good thing from a dental health point of view. :D

Nidge
15-03-2009, 10:27
Why can't people just buy fresh Orange Juice from their local supermarket, it's cheaper and better than Sunny D. I gave my yougest lad some when it first came out, he was on the ceiling for over an hour, talk about spinning.

lauzjp
16-03-2009, 13:55
I went to a retail show recently, and there was no interest in their little stall whatsoever every time I went past it. And all their drinks were in a cabinet, unavailable for sampling. Looked the same boring old Sunny D.

Personally I don't drink it, as the oil thing freaked me out. I read more ingredients labels now though - so I am at least grateful to Sunny D for that. :erm: