PDA

View Full Version : extension for fibre-optic cable??

ianbrod
13-03-2009, 12:12
Hi,
This may sound like a silly question but I'm very very ignorant about these things!:erm:
I want to move my computer to another room, so I need some more virgin fibre-optic cable. Can I just put the old bit into a longer bit like television ariel? Is this stuff readily available?
All advice welcome!
thanks,
Ian:confused:

TheDon
13-03-2009, 12:22
The cable that's coming out of the wall socket into the modem isn't fibre optic, it's just standard coax cable.

You can either get another piece of coax with f-plugs on each end, and a f-plug coupler to extend it, or just replace the cable with one the right length.

*sloman*
13-03-2009, 12:22
Yes its called COAX cable.

From the Green box back to VM is fibre, From the green box to you its COAX.

When i moved my modem i just used some tv coax and brought a gold plated splitter off eBay it worked a treat.

broadbandking
13-03-2009, 12:58
Virgin can arrnage a tech for you to do that but it will cost £99.00, be careful changing it yourself because if you damage the connection Virgin will charge you £99.00 to fix the connection.

Chris
13-03-2009, 13:21
Hi,
This may sound like a silly question but I'm very very ignorant about these things!:erm:
I want to move my computer to another room, so I need some more virgin fibre-optic cable. Can I just put the old bit into a longer bit like television ariel? Is this stuff readily available?
All advice welcome!
thanks,
Ian:confused:

You need one of these:

http://images.maplin.co.uk/full/qq78.jpg

Available from here: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29537

5 metre or 1.5 metre lengths. If 5 metre isn't long enough, buy two of them. These are better because the correct 'f' type connectors are moulded on. You can buy a reel of cable and screw connectors onto the exact length you need, but you risk degrading the cable signal unless you do a very neat job. And if you degrade the signal, you'll end up needing a visit from a VM tech, at a cost of £99.

Hope that helps. :)

ianbrod
13-03-2009, 16:20
God this forum is good! Thanks everyone!:)