PDA

View Full Version : Linux + VM Tech Support

Mezzle
12-03-2009, 19:23
Ok, so I've had issues today with my connection. Still having them, they're sending a tech out on Saturday.

However, I did find listening to the CSR quite amusing. The thick liverpudlian accent, and the promise that he'd "See what he could do about me being a Linux"

I know that most ISPs CSR's aren't trained to support Linux, and that I can accept, but surely, it'd be nice if they could actually understand what Linux is?

Anyway, apparently I'm a Linux...

xocemp
12-03-2009, 20:02
So why was a tech booked?
My guess would be he/she didn't have an understanding of Linux is because.

Its not a supported OS

The agent though having 'some' knowledge of Windows ( because they have a MS PC ) and MAC because its also a better known OS than *NIX, just has not heard of *NIX.

Sadly, no matter what center, agents are employed not for their technical knowledge, because apparently that can be given through a few weeks training, but they are employed for their customer care skills.

Long gone are the days of the tech savvy only support centers.

Mezzle
12-03-2009, 20:14
The tech was booked because the connection went down fully during the tests, and also there seems to be issues with the power levels on the modem.

I personally find that "Yes, I use Linux, just give me the Windows steps and I'll do the equivalent" seems to work most of the time

I was just randomly chatting in IRC about this and one of the o2/be internet techy guys said

<pete> admittedly when I do things like asking people what version of windows they use, I do it on purpose
<pete> on the rare occasions I get someone who fearfully admits to using linux, I say, "and what version of windows is that?"
<pete> you can feel the rage on the other side of the phone. it helps me get through the day ;)
<pete> my point being that he probably said that intentionally.

Peter_
12-03-2009, 20:19
The tech was booked because the connection went down fully during the tests, and also there seems to be issues with the power levels on the modem.

I personally find that "Yes, I use Linux, just give me the Windows steps and I'll do the equivalent" seems to work most of the time

I was just randomly chatting in IRC about this and one of the o2/be internet techy guys said
The support is only for the connection and if the connection is at issue then a Tech will be booked regardless of what O/S you are using.

I use Linux myself on Virgin and I am on the other end of the phone.

Mezzle
12-03-2009, 20:23
I use Linux myself on Virgin and I am on the other end of the phone.

You're not liverpudlian with a sick sense of humor are you ? :P

Good to know that some of the VM Techs use a decent OS though. I should probably get your name for next time I call, ask to be put through to you :P

Peter_
12-03-2009, 20:28
You're not liverpudlian with a sick sense of humor are you ? :P

Good to know that some of the VM Techs use a decent OS though. I should probably get your name for next time I call, ask to be put through to you :P
I am not a football fan, and you get the next agent in line.:D

xocemp
12-03-2009, 20:58
Why a Linux user feels the need to announce they use Linux is beyond me. This is something I keep to myself if I should call, see little point in being told its not supported. If I'm asked to perform any tests, netstat, ping, trace and the likes I just do it and give the results.

I remember working a customer facing tech support role and to be quite honest I enjoyed getting the Linux users.

Customer: RAARRRHHHH blablahblah, its not my computer I use Linux
Me: Oh thats nice, so what Distro, kernal revision, Desktop manager, window manager?
Oh have you set your IPtables or you going through a router, NAT/PAT?
Customer: *silence*
Me: Hello?
<Click Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......>

I guess the moral of the story is, sometimes its better to say nothing and go with the flow till you know your safe ;)

Mezzle
12-03-2009, 21:36
Why a Linux user feels the need to announce they use Linux is beyond me. This is something I keep to myself if I should call, see little point in being told its not supported. If I'm asked to perform any tests, netstat, ping, trace and the likes I just do it and give the results.

I don't go mental, but I prefer not to have instructions like "ok, goto start run, type in cmd.exe" etc etc, whereas, if I tell them I use linux, and to give me the Windows instructions, I generally get stuff like "can you run a ping" "can you run a traceroute" etc etc

And I'd be happy with someone asking me those kind of questions :D

moaningmags
12-03-2009, 21:39
I always say Sorry, we don't support Linux, but can you do this, that and the other for me, like traces, pings etc.
Now, lately they can't do that as they're buying netbooks and haven't a clue. If I have no clue and they have no clue I can't help.

xocemp
12-03-2009, 21:56
Oh don't get me wrong friend, more is the time I've had a great conversation with a fellow *NIX user and we got places faster.
I don't know how but you can just tell sometimes that they are telling you their distro to impress or to try and get one over on you. Thats when a few simple questions brings things to light ;)

And I'd be happy with someone asking me those kind of questions :D

If I was in that kind of role I'm sure I'd enjoy listen to you answer and we'd waffle away for a good while.

Good luck with your builds/backports and I hope your connection issue is resolved quickly. :)

admars
12-03-2009, 23:31
I generally use Linux at home, just use XP for games, but when my broadband stops working, I go into XP for the tech support phonecall, as it's easier just to follow their instructions and do as told.

I work in IT so I know what it's like when you trying to help some-one who has called with a problem, but they think they're a know it all trying to be cleaver :)

Peter_
12-03-2009, 23:36
I generally use Linux at home, just use XP for games, but when my broadband stops working, I go into XP for the tech support phonecall, as it's easier just to follow their instructions and do as told.

I work in IT so I know what it's like when you trying to help some-one who has called with a problem, but they think they're a know it all trying to be cleaver :)
Its not worth trying to be clever as you can trip yourself up and look a fool.:p:

graf_von_anonym
13-03-2009, 03:21

I'm not sure that's right. Aren't you a GNU?

Mezzle
13-03-2009, 20:31
Good luck with your builds/backports and I hope your connection issue is resolved quickly. :)

Someone looked me up :)

KenK
13-03-2009, 22:48
I'm not sure that's right. Aren't you a GNU?Hands up everyone who can now hear Flanders and Swann singing "I'm a Gnu"!!

(If you didn't understand that comment, you're obviously younger than I am.)

Rik
13-03-2009, 23:14
Whos Flanders and Swann????

I thought I was the oldest person on these forums @ 35 ;)

PS I like Slackware, Debian & Gentoo :)

xpod
13-03-2009, 23:15
Why a Linux user feels the need to announce they use Linux is beyond me. This is something I keep to myself if I should call

I generally dont mention the OS unless the person on the other end asks or starts insisting i must scan for spyware & viruses then phone back.
Or to explain that i had checked my issue on Linux as well as Windows.

EDIT:PS I like Slackware, Debian & Gentoo

I`m a noob...i still use Ubuntu. :-)

Turkey Machine
13-03-2009, 23:30
Hands up everyone who can now hear Flanders and Swann singing "I'm a Gnu"!!

(If you didn't understand that comment, you're obviously younger than I am.)

I got the comment, and hands up, but I can hear my D+T teacher from middle school (yes, we had one of those where I lived) singing it.

Peter_
13-03-2009, 23:35
I like my distro to be Mint flavoured click HERE (http://www.linuxmint.com/) for a taste.

xpod
13-03-2009, 23:48
I like my distro to be Mint flavoured click HERE for a taste.

What...you cant install a few codecs n stuff?....bah....you even bigger noob you:p:

Peter_
13-03-2009, 23:56
What...you cant install a few codecs n stuff?....bah....you even bigger noob you:p:
I just try different distros, I had Ubuntu to clunky, Kubuntu odd graphics, Fedora was rather strange and very stuttery but Mint just works and even finds the correct drivers for your system saving you the bother.

Mint is stable and quite easy to mould to yourself, fast to boot up and runs well on my machine.

Plus I never partion, just wipe the old with the new.

xpod
14-03-2009, 00:28
I just try different distros, I had Ubuntu to clunky, Kubuntu odd graphics, Fedora was rather strange and very stuttery but Mint just works and even finds the correct drivers for your system saving you the bother.

Mint is stable and quite easy to mould to yourself, fast to boot up and runs well on my machine.

Plus I never partion, just wipe the old with the new.

I`ve tried much of distrowatch myself over the last 2 3/4 years but *buntu has always been around in some way,shape or form.It was the one i first Stumbled across(6.06) and it`s been the one constant since then.
I like Arch,Puppy and minimal *buntu installs for sheer speed and having only the essentials you need but the full blown *buntu just stays the OS of choice on my main PC .Gnome again atm.Sometimes XFCE but never KDE:)

xocemp
14-03-2009, 01:07
Slackware guy here, I like the add what you want distro rather than the you have it all remove what you don't want distro. Hope that makes sense? Though non is better than the other and it doesn't take a more advanced ( 1337 ) :erm: user to use a particular distro. :)

xpod. xfce for me I don't have money for a high spec PC so to save on resources :)
I guess thats another good point, make the distro/OS fit the hardware and budget and not the other way around.

The Jackal
14-03-2009, 01:37
I know that most ISPs CSR's aren't trained to support Linux, and that I can accept, but surely, it'd be nice if they could actually understand what Linux is?

I don't bother and just play along as a windoze user.

How the heck am I going to explain that the router is hand built with an OS that I've created based around linux and busybox.

So bring up a start>command > cmd

yes

tracert

yes ..........

Play the :dunce:

kpanchev
14-03-2009, 02:34
Slackware for me, thank you....

xpod
14-03-2009, 10:09
Slackware for me, thank you....

You should really wear a belt with those;)