PDA

View Full Version : Virgin to throttle BitTorrent.

andrew.shearman
12-03-2009, 15:44
Virgin to throttle BitTorrent WHY?

BenMcr
12-03-2009, 15:51
They aren't

broadbandking
12-03-2009, 15:59
Virgin to throttle BitTorrent WHY?

They aren't at the moment weather that is true in a few months I don't know and why have you posted this in the TV section of the forum lol

MovedGoalPosts
12-03-2009, 16:04
Thread moved to VM Internet Services ;)

Toto
12-03-2009, 17:47
Would be nice for a source to substantiate the torrent throttling claim. :)

telfordcable
12-03-2009, 18:13
I hope they will do ! I am fed up of those of illegal downloading torrent site ! That's should be BANNED !!

It not fair on other and including myself as a good boy respect the film industry and music industry to get paid well. No wondering they are now losing their money cos of this torrent sites and p2p.

VM will bring p2p heavy throttling soon. I thought they start to send out letter to warn customers to stop downloading illegal as a 3 strike warning !

garak112
12-03-2009, 18:23
I hope they will do ! I am fed up of those of illegal downloading torrent site ! That's should be BANNED !!

It not fair on other and including myself as a good boy respect the film industry and music industry to get paid well. No wondering they are now losing their money cos of this torrent sites and p2p.

VM will bring p2p heavy throttling soon. I thought they start to send out letter to warn customers to stop downloading illegal as a 3 strike warning !

Not everything on Bittorrent is illegal, so why should I have my downloading throttled when I am not doing anything wrong?

Toto
12-03-2009, 18:25
Not everything on Bittorrent is illegal, so why should I have my downloading throttled when I am not doing anything wrong?

Its a fair comment, and also worth bringing into the mix are software updates that use torrents, such as World of Warcraft.

That said, no proof from the O/P, so perhaps walking before running is a better stance. :)

Gary L
12-03-2009, 18:29

ISPs depend on people downloading illegal content. it keeps them in business.

garak112
12-03-2009, 18:29
Its a fair comment, and also worth bringing into the mix are software updates that use torrents, such as World of Warcraft.

Thats exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote that. I takes long enough to download a large WoW patch with STM coming on without having it throttled seperatly just because of the protocol I am using to get the data.

Turkey Machine
12-03-2009, 18:52

They can't tell because customers use encryption and proxies. Only with DPI (deep packet inspection) could they possibly tell who downloads illegally.

I can't understand those people who think they're getting shaped because they're using BitTorrent. I set torrents to go on after 10-11pm, they go off at about 9-10am. I get full speed, I pick torrents that are well seeded. So those who claim they're shaped should check VERY carefully which trackers they use, what settings they're using in their client and whether they're likely STM'd - I use NetMeter on my laptop so I know when NOT to set uTorrent going.

xocemp
12-03-2009, 18:52
ISPs depend on people downloading illegal content. it keeps them in business.

Could you expand on that please Gary?

telfordcable
12-03-2009, 18:53
I fetch my 6 years old son from his friend's house and I was shocked as his father had virgin media with computer downstair and he show me that he had 100's film from torrent sites, over 50's cd of music, loads of copies for playstation, dslite and wii games !!!

He also got a piracy copy of windows - he never paid it as he metion to me and also he got a hack on his modem using his 10Mb package but got his 50Mb speed and also got a special tv box with connect to cable and watch free sky tv and any channels whatever he want !

That's is illegal and cheat ! Maybe I should report this to Virgin Media for his illegal use and modification of the digital television set-top boxes to receive paid-for channels.

I pay for my VM cable and I pay for Sky TV, and I pay for my windows license and I pay for my music and dvd film. I think it isn't fair !!!

I found site here: http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/tv-fraud.php

Stuart
12-03-2009, 19:01
Would be nice for a source to substantiate the torrent throttling claim. :)

They aren't currently throttling BitTorrent, but they *are* looking at Application based throttling starting around the middle of this year, so it's entirely possible they are trying something.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/417/virgin-to-throttle-bittorrent

garak112
12-03-2009, 19:07
If the throttling involves any application I use I am going back to ADSL.

BenMcr
12-03-2009, 19:11
They aren't currently throttling BitTorrent, but they *are* looking at Application based throttling starting around the middle of this year, so it's entirely possible they are trying something.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/417/virgin-to-throttle-bittorrent
Though they have since denied that they will be.

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/12/virgin-media-de.html

"It's not true," Asam Ahmad, a company spokesman, said in telephone interview from London. "There are no changes planned in our traffic management policy."

telfordcable
12-03-2009, 19:16
If the throttling involves any application I use I am going back to ADSL.

Many isp's of ADSL will be involved same as VM too! UK will be torrent throttling by the time in this year and next year! Goodbye p2p and bit torrent.

Toto
12-03-2009, 19:45

LOL, its like a game of tennis isn't it?

Sirius
12-03-2009, 19:49

So let see if i am right here. they denied that they were going to introduce STM and then went ahead and did it.

They said we would have more HD by now and they have not done it.

So why should i believe they will not apply application management ???

telfordcable
12-03-2009, 19:54
So let see if i am right here. they denied that they were going to introduce STM and then went ahead and did it.

They said we would have more HD by now and they have not done it.

So why should i believe they will not apply application management ???

Well done !!! it about time you start to wake up call !!! Yeah VM is a lies and always does DENIED but closed the door and they did it and went ahead with it without telling us !!!

They did it on 2Mb, then 4Mb then 10Mb then 20Mb and will do next on 50Mb. I went for Sky HD because Sky always honest about HD more channels as a promise and they did PROMISE !!! But VM - nope they never promise!

buba3d
12-03-2009, 20:21
I fetch my 6 years old son from his friend's house and I was shocked as his father had virgin media with computer downstair and he show me that he had 100's film from torrent sites, over 50's cd of music, loads of copies for playstation, dslite and wii games !!!

He also got a piracy copy of windows - he never paid it as he metion to me and also he got a hack on his modem using his 10Mb package but got his 50Mb speed and also got a special tv box with connect to cable and watch free sky tv and any channels whatever he want !

That's is illegal and cheat ! Maybe I should report this to Virgin Media for his illegal use and modification of the digital television set-top boxes to receive paid-for channels.

I pay for my VM cable and I pay for Sky TV, and I pay for my windows license and I pay for my music and dvd film. I think it isn't fair !!!

I found site here: http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/tv-fraud.php

Wait a sec, so why don't you just report it instead of greeting like a wee lassie.

grow a set of balls and grass him in.:o:

telfordcable
12-03-2009, 20:26
I didn't report it, because I don't want to get INVOLVED ! If I did report, then he must have know it from me ! Not worth it.

martyh
12-03-2009, 20:41
They can't tell because customers use encryption and proxies. Only with DPI (deep packet inspection) could they possibly tell who downloads illegally.

I can't understand those people who think they're getting shaped because they're using BitTorrent. I set torrents to go on after 10-11pm, they go off at about 9-10am. I get full speed, I pick torrents that are well seeded. So those who claim they're shaped should check VERY carefully which trackers they use, what settings they're using in their client and whether they're likely STM'd - I use NetMeter on my laptop so I know when NOT to set uTorrent going.

couldn't agree more in my opinion any time after 9pm is the best time to download anyway regardless of throttling times it's usally when most of the usa is online

Stabhappy
13-03-2009, 01:55
I didn't report it, because I don't want to get INVOLVED ! If I did report, then he must have know it from me ! Not worth it.

Report it anonymously, if he was keen to show you all his films and illegal content he will have shown others. Just report suspected illegal use from his address and they'll probably get on the case. As far as he's aware, probably, they have detection methods in place. (obviously however they do not.)