PDA

View Full Version : Cost of 50Mbit upgrade!!

loiphin
12-03-2009, 14:35
Hi All,

I recently received a notice to say that I can upgrade to 50Mbit internet, from my current 20Mbit. So I phone them up, and I am prepared to pay £15 extra a month for the privilege. What I didnt realise is that they want to charge me £50 installation fee and £30 connection fee! So an additional £80 just for some poxy engineer to bring a new modem over and plug it into the existing cable feed.

I politely said no thanks and hung up.

What a bunch of......

Pushkar
12-03-2009, 14:38
The price is there, 50mb is a premium - if you want it go for it, if your not prepared to pay up then stick with 20mb.

broadbandking
12-03-2009, 16:11
As said before the 50Mb is classed by Virgin as a permium service which includes a new N wireless router and adaptor and the engineer will install everything for you, but if you dont want the charge then as tailz said either pay it or don't upgrade. (don't mean to sound blunt just the way it is)

deathtrap3000
12-03-2009, 16:21
So you are saying that the £80 for someone to plug a new modem in is acceptable.
Times have changed...

Mr_Moo
12-03-2009, 16:34
Not quite. I'm led to believe that a completely different line has to come down to your house.

Cost of research, testing & equipment VM has to pay prior to rolling out.

The routers retail at about £70.

General Maximus
12-03-2009, 20:25
Not quite. I'm led to believe that a completely different line has to come down to your house.

All the engineer did was get out of his van and walk into my house with the new modem. I connected everything and he made a phone call to get it activated. He ran a VM speed test which failed and then I ran one which was a success. Why did I have to pay £80 for that? I have no problemo paying £30 for installation/call out but if the routers and stuff retail at £70 they should offer you them at a discounted price of £50 instead of charging you for it anyway. I told them I didnt want one and they posted one anyway and not it is sitting on my desk still sealed in it's box.

Peter_
12-03-2009, 20:32

It is through your existing line unless the engineer feels you need a repull due to degraded cabling.

telfordcable
12-03-2009, 20:35
Are 50Mb on docsis 3 now ? if it was (yes) then how on earth it been upgrade ? to the house or at the end of the green big box or their new network upgrade ?

Didn't make any sense to me ?

broadbandking
12-03-2009, 20:39
Its all to do with the channels that are avaiable and using more that one channel to push a higher speed, its lots of new equipment

Noggo
12-03-2009, 21:06
I think that VM need to consider modifing the install charges for 50Meg. I don't mind paying for it, but £80 when I already have a wireless N router and wireless N built-in on the laptop :nono:.

e.g.:

£30 for install and new 50 Meg modem
£80 for install, new 50 Meg modem, Netgear WNR2000 and Netgear wireless N adapter

broadbandking
12-03-2009, 21:11
As its premium product they have to charge a premium price all tho I would say a premium product should have aleast a 5Mb upload

chuzzlemonkey
12-03-2009, 21:11
I think that VM need to consider modifing the install charges for 50Meg. I don't mind paying for it, but £80 when I already have a wireless N router and wireless N built-in on the laptop :nono:.

e.g.:

£30 for install and new 50 Meg modem
£80 for install, new 50 Meg modem, Netgear WNR2000 and Netgear wireless N adapter

It is a bit steep to be fair, the likeliness of the £80.00 overall charge being reduced is highly unlikely, though. The way they look at it is, if you want a premium service, pay a premium cost?

Why dont you pay it, get installed and then sell your current wireless router to recoup some £££ ?

I would advise to sell your new one but thats naughty...

telfordcable
12-03-2009, 21:41
I would advise to sell your new one but thats naughty...

You are NOT allowed to sell the modem as it belong to VM on their property.

chuzzlemonkey
12-03-2009, 21:42
You are NOT allowed to sell the modem as it belong to VM on their property.

I was talking about the router and clearly said so in my post??? ...and seeing as your new one remains VM property also, i said sell your current one.

piggy
13-03-2009, 10:20
Hi All,

I recently received a notice to say that I can upgrade to 50Mbit internet, from my current 20Mbit. So I phone them up, and I am prepared to pay £15 extra a month for the privilege. What I didnt realise is that they want to charge me £50 installation fee and £30 connection fee! So an additional £80 just for some poxy engineer to bring a new modem over and plug it into the existing cable feed.

I politely said no thanks and hung up.

What a bunch of......

poxy engineers going to vile ignorant customers! whatever next :erm:

beasty54
13-03-2009, 15:03
I agree it is a bit steep but people could say the same to me and what i charge for modding certain consoles, the choice is there though so if you dont like it dont upgrade. I had 2 engineers round today, sound guys and they seemed to know what they were talking about. I'll admit they didn't need to do much as i'd already hooked up the router but they did what they needed to do and were on their way pretty quick, overall i'm happy with the service and the equipment looks great so no complaints from me.