PDA

View Full Version : Sinclair C5

zing_deleted
11-03-2009, 14:53
Just seen this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SINCLAIR-C5-JET-CAR-ONLY-ONE-IN-THE-WORLD-COST-20-000_W0QQitemZ280320247529QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomo biles_UK?hash=item280320247529&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1318) from a link from another forum its a jet powered C5 selling for around 5 grand.

Now I know in its day this thing was mocked and derided by pretty much everyone. Do you think this would be the same if it was released today? We are at the beginning of an oil crisis it will run out and we are all aware of global warming (if we buy it or not) If something small like the C5 could be built today a lot more efficient than before with more of a range would anyone consider them? I actually think I would. I know there are electric cars and stuff like that but small individual transport not just for the less abled afterall we see electric scooters everywhere. I could well be on for a good pee take for my view on this but I got a thick enough skin

LondonRoad
11-03-2009, 14:57
They still look like death traps though which is what would put me off. Cars, vans etc seem to have got much bigger since the first time C5s came out so they're probably even more difficult to notice for your average shool run, 4X4 driver.

zing_deleted
11-03-2009, 14:59
I would not expect them to be the same as this. Point it chances are there are vehicles around that cover this. I think perhaps Clive Sinclair was ahead of his time

STONEISLAND
11-03-2009, 15:04
They still look like death traps though which is what would put me off. Cars, vans etc seem to have got much bigger since the first time C5s came out so they're probably even more difficult to notice for your average shool run, 4X4 driver.

It’s the exhaust pipe in your face that puts me off. :td:

zing_deleted
11-03-2009, 15:10
Found some nice electric motor cycles that would be ok for me but a lot of people like more wheels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrFPMLAfs3s

now look at what the japs have built http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUXhJZZRUIg&feature=related

shove an extra wheel on the back and what do you have? a higher up C5 :)

demented
11-03-2009, 15:35
A c5 redone today would be interesting. Outside a recession there is very much more disposable income today and gadgets knocking around. There are far more mobility scooters, mini motos and quad bikes so people are more used to the idea. Unfortunately whilst some cars have got bigger there are also more 3.5+ tonne vans and HGVs knocking around in the urban environment too.

Electric powered motorbikes is probably even more interesting a topic though!

zing_deleted
11-03-2009, 15:37
That sumo could be designed with 2 rear wheels for those not comfortable on 2 wheels.Electricity will be the future as more and more nucleur power stations are built to compensate for deminishing supplies of oil. I do wonder though what use the Arabs will be once its all dried up lol

demented
11-03-2009, 15:41
Yes that's true you could add an extra wheel but I wonder whether it is particularly needed, as the centre of mass looks quite a bit lower on that than more traditional designs. I suppose a third wheel might mean a shorter length vehicle though.

Chris
11-03-2009, 16:01
I only ever saw one C5 in the flesh so to speak, and I was a front-seat passenger in the car that was overtaking it on a main road. It just looked so exposed and vulnerable. Someone with a higher driving position might miss it altogether.

LondonRoad
11-03-2009, 16:14
I only ever saw one C5 in the flesh so to speak, and I was a front-seat passenger in the car that was overtaking it on a main road. It just looked so exposed and vulnerable. Someone with a higher driving position might miss it altogether.

Absoloutely right. I suspect that the plastic body may not have offered much protection against Mrs 4X4 putting make up on or Mr 4X4 reading his map.

I'm sure though I read somewhere that you could manipulate the statistics to "prove" that the C5 was the safest road vehicle.

The stats probably didn't inlude the people who died laughing when they saw one though. :)

altis
11-03-2009, 16:15
There's a few more ideas in this, similar, thread:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/22/33642249-electric-motorcycle.html

Chris
11-03-2009, 16:17
Absoloutely right. I suspect that the plastic body may not have offered much protection against Mrs 4X4 putting make up on or Mr 4X4 reading his map.

I'm sure though I read somewhere that you could manipulate the statistics to "prove" that the C5 was the safest road vehicle.

The stats probably didn't inlude the people who died laughing when they saw one though. :)

There were very few 4x4s on the road in the 80s, thankfully, and those few that were around were not being used for the school run.

It wouldn't be too difficult to show the C5 to be 'safe' as there were so few of them on the road compared to other vehicles. So long as the few in use kept out of trouble it would be easy for them to appear to have a very good record. Pretty much like Concorde actually, which was the world's safest civilian airliner until one crashed, when it became one of the world's most unsafe.

Pierre
11-03-2009, 16:24
I posted this link on another thread.

http://www.classic-wheels.co.uk/old_sinclair_c5.htm

They're considered classics now, and you can find them in several classic car publications.

Think about it in 70 years when we're all buzzin round in the latest electric/hydrogen or whatever cars the poor old unloved C5 will be a bonfide "vintage" electric car.

I hope the national motor museum has one.

LondonRoad
11-03-2009, 16:26
I posted this link on another thread.

http://www.classic-wheels.co.uk/old_sinclair_c5.htm

They're considered classics now, and you can find them in several classic car publications.

Think about it in 70 years when we're all buzzin round in the latest electric/hydrogen or whatever cars the poor old unloved C5 will be a bonfide "vintage" electric car.

I hope the national motor museum has one.

Thet certainly have one in the transport museum in Glasgow.

Russ
11-03-2009, 17:24
When I was younger I went with my parents to a campsite for a week and they had C5s for hire - you couldn't keep me off the thing. Only problem was the chain had a tendency to come off a lot. To get the most out of the battery they suggest that you pedal for 30 seconds, then use the motor for 30 seconds, then back to the pedals and so on.

Absolutely zero safety rating though.

Chris
11-03-2009, 18:11
Thet certainly have one in the transport museum in Glasgow.

I thought I remembered seeing one in there. Edie McCreadie's bus is more exciting though. :D

rogerdraig
11-03-2009, 18:16
one wonders how the c5 doesnt melt or break up at speed lol

come back uncle clive ;)

Hom3r
11-03-2009, 18:22
I believe it is called a Goblin engine.

LondonRoad
12-03-2009, 11:37
one wonders how the c5 doesnt melt or break up at speed lol

come back uncle clive ;)

It could only do 15mph max ( i think something to do with license requirements)

That, coincidentally is my average speed on the odd occation I have to bring my car to work in the centre of Glasgow. I average 17 mph on my preferred method - bicycle. :)