PDA

View Full Version : High packet loss

stevo17
10-03-2009, 23:27
hello, i have the 2mb service and experience high packet loss almost every night between 8pm and 12pm. I play online shooter games and get between 2% and 5% loss, which makes the games unplayable, also my ping can double .Are virginmedia services falling apart under the strain? We already have packet throttling!I think virginmedia's broadband service is only good for web browsing and nothing more. I read that they have a huge churn rate of customers and are losing a lot more than they are getting.I predict a very short future for VM.

The Jackal
11-03-2009, 00:10
LMAO 2-5% you call that high ? Count yourself lucky to have it that low.

I've had to endure 30% packet loss off this rubbish Virgin broadband.

leexgx
11-03-2009, 10:03
as your on 2mb service upload is quite low (as thats what you need when playing games) make sure that you are not uploading (Xfire torrents p2p apps make sure the the Hidden torrent DNA Client is uninstilled as that use bandwidth) uk servers as well when playing games

stevo17
11-03-2009, 13:02
Hi, i upgraded to the 10 meg service hoping it would solve the problem but it didnt, so i went back down to 2mb. I have no other services running when playing games .Packet loss only occurs at certain times , so its not a fault at my end.I live in Oxford if anyone else has the same problems.