PDA

View Full Version : Do you feel safe?

lucy7
10-03-2009, 17:29
Not as in personal safety!

Two years ago, we did not know anyone who had been made redundant, lost their job, business gone bust, or had their working week cut down.

Now, personally we have 3 friends whos companies (long established) have now folded, people have lost their jobs, and they owe money all over.

My daughters boyfriend is now on a 3 day week.

My hubbys business went through a year of tough times and after 30 years of trading, they were discussing redundancies for the first time ever.
They have turned the corner, and now making profit again now though.

In my business, I can not find any more work, as others will do my type of work cheaper.
I do feel fairly safe and secure though, as I provide a better service, even though I charge a higher price!;)

Do you worry about your job/work security, or just get on with it, and take each day as it comes?

superbiatch
10-03-2009, 17:32
I take each day as it comes, who knows whats round the corner and I've spent too many dark days wondering what *might* go wrong in the past :shrug:

Raistlin
10-03-2009, 18:04
Luckily my job is safe, and I know that (provided I stay where I am) I won't lose it.

I know the same can't be said for others though, so I'm thankful for the fortunate position that I find myself in.

zing_deleted
10-03-2009, 18:07

Two years ago, we did not know anyone who had been made redundant, lost their job, business gone bust, or had their working week cut down.

Now, personally we have 3 friends whos companies (long established) have now folded, people have lost their jobs, and they owe money all over.

My hubbys business went through a year of tough times and after 30 years of trading, they were discussing redundancies for the first time ever.

In my business, I can not find any more work, as others will do my type of work cheaper.
I do feel fairly safe and secure though, as I provide a better service, even though I charge a higher price!;)

Do you worry about your job/work security, or just get on with it, and take each day as it comes?

your not a high class call girl are you? hehehehehe I could imagine them being hit pretty hard ..........or softly whatever the kink lol lol

Maggy
10-03-2009, 18:11

My husband was made redundant three summers in a row..the last time was nearly two years ago so I can only say that the recession has been a long time coming...At least this last time he got a much better job with a civil service pension and more job security.

Hom3r
10-03-2009, 18:20
I guess my is a secure as any job.

Luckily I am the only one who can do my job in the UK :), but if the company wanted to they could tranfer it to the main base in Belguim.

The CAA might have a say though, as I come under Part-145 regulations (Maintenance) and Belguim Part-66 (Operator), but the Belgians could apply for a part-145 but this would take ages.

Sirius
10-03-2009, 18:29
The company i work for has said they are making at least 2000 redundant over 2 years, The problem is working out if i will be one of them. :erm:

lucy7
10-03-2009, 22:39
your not a high class call girl are you? hehehehehe I could imagine them being hit pretty hard ..........or softly whatever the kink lol lol

No !!!!

:)

tweetypie/8
11-03-2009, 14:56

whatever will be will be,worrying about it is a total waste.

LondonRoad
11-03-2009, 15:32

Wise words Doris Day..... sorry, I mean Tweetypie. I wasted too many hours in my 20s worrying about redundancy and when it came I dealt with it. Now I take the view that there's no point in expending energy worrying about something that you can't influence.

papa smurf
11-03-2009, 18:08

to true --just take life one day at a time its too short for worrying

oh yea i work for VM they don't do loyalty to the staff .

Hom3r
11-03-2009, 19:05
The best adivise is don't go out and buy anthing that you can really do without or impulse buys.

The other thing is don't worry about bing made redundant. It is outside your control and you will only make yourself ill, if your name is on the list you can't do diddly.

I should know I've been there three times and only survivied once but went the following year.

DRZ400
11-03-2009, 19:13
I'm being made redundant after working for Ericsson for 16 years.

It's a miserable experience .... but I'm in a better situation than most as I'm getting a large severance payment. One of my friends works for a company that went bust and he's out with nothing.

MickW
11-03-2009, 23:26
Well if he's got a family then he can look forward to living on £95 a week (it's ****in hard!) and going to the Joke Centre (I mean Job Centre) and having to answer stupid questions like "are you looking for work..?" every time. I know from personal experience, I lost my job back in October when things didn't work out and it's hell out there.

Like everyone else says just live one day at a time and try to not let it get you down.

mr,m
11-03-2009, 23:59
Got made redundant last October after 15 years of what I thought was a safe(ish) job.
Yikes! It's pretty scary in the real world,got a good payout but will run out of money come August,not been out of work in over 30 years, it sucks!

Scarlett
12-03-2009, 07:46
I'm a contractor, I currently feel safe for the next 3 months but my company (not BT, not quite that bad yet) is just desperatly trying to cut costs and that includes throwing out as many contractors as possible. Some of us work in positions that should not be left empty and at the moment they are just throwing them out... on the other hand there is still work out there so I'm not to concerned when I need to go looking (frankly, I'm looking forward to the change)

I was made redundent 5 years ago and it was probably the best thing that ever happened to me job wise. Looked at the situation I was in and took the oppotunity to move on to better things (contracting).

There are jobs out there and the job centre themselves have said although there is a rising number of unemployed, there are also a lot of people finding new jobs so they're not the same people each month.

Worth having a good hard think about what you want to do and see what you can do to make it happen now. If you view redundency as an oppotunity then you might just suprise yourself.

mr,m
12-03-2009, 08:31
There are indeed plenty of jobs out there, if you want to work yourself to death for £5.70 an hour.

lauzjp
12-03-2009, 16:18
There are indeed plenty of jobs out there, if you want to work yourself to death for £5.70 an hour. :erm:

... £5.70 an hour, or less, in some cases... :tiptoe: but still more than JSA or whatever it's called now, even with paying tax & NI. ;)

alferret
13-03-2009, 18:11
The company I work for has tenders in for jobs which if successful would see us having work + OT for about 3 years. As it stands at the moment we are finishing up on 1 big job job for a hotel in Leeds and just about to start another in docklands (when the client signs off on the final spec) If we don't get the tendered jobs then there is the distinct possibility that there may be some redundancies and\or short time.