PDA

View Full Version : Which Would You Rather Have Longer?

shiwayb
10-03-2009, 11:38
Also which would you rather have longer the firbre optic wire to the modem or the ethernet wire connecting to devices (would be under 10m) ?

Druchii
10-03-2009, 11:40
Ethernet is good upto around 100m.
Fibre is good for... Well, miles.

It doesn't matter much. Personally, i'd take the longest ethernet. This way, replacing for wireless is easy, and Cat5/6 is far cheaper than fibre.

However, if you're referring to a VM Modem, they use Co-Ax, not fibre.

shiwayb
10-03-2009, 11:43
Ethernet is good upto around 100m.
Fibre is good for... Well, miles.

It doesn't matter much. Personally, i'd take the longest ethernet. This way, replacing for wireless is easy, and Cat5/6 is far cheaper than fibre.

However, if you're referring to a VM Modem, they use Co-Ax, not fibre.

Thats the one i meant :p:

So i heard that having the Co-Ax wire shorter would be better and having a longer Ethernet wire would be more beneficial?

Or does it not matter ???

AbyssUnderground
10-03-2009, 11:43
To make it clear VM often use fibre to head-end cabs (not necessarily the one in your road though).

VM also use coax to the home.

Ethernet is cheap and fine for runs up to 100m and up to 1Gbps.

Fibre is more expensive but good for 10's of miles without boosters and speeds of 10Gbps or more.

GazCBG
10-03-2009, 12:26
I thought it was Fibre to the cabinet on the road then co-ax from the cabinet to your house.

Is that not correct ?

idontpirate
10-03-2009, 12:39
If im thinking correctly. Its Co-Ax (Home>Green Cabinet>Exchange) Then fibre between all exchanges. Although it could be Co-Ax (Home>Green Cab) then Fibre (Green Cab>Exchange>Exchange)

chickendippers
10-03-2009, 12:53
If im thinking correctly. Its Co-Ax (Home>Green Cabinet>Exchange)
That's ADSL

It could be Co-Ax (Home>Green Cab) then Fibre (Green Cab>Exchange>Exchange)That's cable :)

Chris
10-03-2009, 12:58
I thought it was Fibre to the cabinet on the road then co-ax from the cabinet to your house.

Is that not correct ?

Usually it's fibre to a main district cabinet (a 'node') then coax to the street cabinets, then coax to the homes.

edit

I think if you have a large cabinet on your street, that hums quietly, then it may be directly served by fibre ...

Ignitionnet
10-03-2009, 15:00
Usually it's fibre to a main district cabinet (a 'node') then coax to the street cabinets, then coax to the homes.

edit

I think if you have a large cabinet on your street, that hums quietly, then it may be directly served by fibre ...

Yep but just to complicate that might well be a telephony multiplexer in there so while there's fibre it may not be part of the HFC network :p:

Maggy
10-03-2009, 16:39
Yet another thread title I'm itching to rearrange...;)

Ignitionnet
10-03-2009, 18:25
Also which would you rather have longer the firbre optic wire to the modem or the ethernet wire connecting to devices (would be under 10m) ?

I would rather you have longer reading about this stuff so that you don't ask bizarre questions that make no sense without having to be translated.

To answer your question it really doesn't matter apart from that VM might want to charge you, and that's not a fibre optic wire going into your modem.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fibre+optic+cable

PS Welcome to the UK.

djmagnifique
10-03-2009, 20:59
So whats the maximum length a co-ax cable can be from the wall socket to the modem/vbox?

Turkey Machine
10-03-2009, 22:30
From 2 locations in the flat, I attach the modem to 10m of coax snaking around doorways in the back room, I then attach it in the front room a metre or so from the wall box. Both times I get similar power levels. Says a lot really. ;)