PDA

View Full Version : Debit Card Question

iFrankie
10-03-2009, 10:00
i don't know if this is the right place to ask this question so sorry in advance anyways, i have a lloyds TSB debit card which has a £200 limit per day i need to take more than 200 today and was wondering if i could get cash back in a shop or would it just be denied?.

thanks

Kymmy
10-03-2009, 10:01
Probably denied...Probably the only way to get more than the 200 is in a TSB branch

iFrankie
10-03-2009, 10:04
Probably denied...Probably the only way to get more than the 200 is in a TSB branch

yeah good idea ill give them a ring and see what they say thanks

Welshchris
10-03-2009, 10:18
or u could get them to change what type of card u have. My debit card allows me to withdraw upto £300 a day from a cash point.

iFrankie
10-03-2009, 10:21
or u could get them to change what type of card u have. My debit card allows me to withdraw upto £300 a day from a cash point.

which bank are you with? when i was with natwest i had the same (£300) shouldn't of changed really.

i rang them up they put me on hold so i gave up lol.

Scarlett
10-03-2009, 10:29
Do you still have a cheque book? other option is a direct bank transfer (if you can do that on this occasion, otherwise its into the bank for the cash.

iFrankie
10-03-2009, 10:32
Do you still have a cheque book? other option is a direct bank transfer (if you can do that on this occasion, otherwise its into the bank for the cash.

yeah iv got a cheque book but i have never used one before, it isn't to difficult is it to use one?

superbiatch
10-03-2009, 10:42
You are limited for a reason, just in case someone does get hold of your card and pin. Only thanks to this alone, my account was only £180 down, instead of over 1k which they tried to withdraw after cloning my card :erm: (still it didn't stop them purchasing hundreds of pounds worth of mobile phones online :rolleyes: - i did get the money back, but months later!)

Do yourself a favour and leave it as it is, if you need to withdraw more, go into the bank.

iFrankie
10-03-2009, 10:53
You are limited for a reason, just in case someone does get hold of your card and pin. Only thanks to this alone, my account was only £180 down, instead of over 1k which they tried to withdraw after cloning my card :erm: (still it didn't stop them purchasing hundreds of pounds worth of mobile phones online :rolleyes: - i did get the money back, but months later!)

Do yourself a favour and leave it as it is, if you need to withdraw more, go into the bank.

thanks, thats bad luck isnt it!, i don't need the money desperately 24 hours wont kill me lol

superbiatch
10-03-2009, 10:58
thanks, thats bad luck isnt it!, i don't need the money desperately 24 hours wont kill me lol

Just noticed where you live Frankie, my card was cloned at the cashpoint in Rainhill at the Shell garage (not once, but twice!) so beware :dozey:

iFrankie
10-03-2009, 11:04
Just noticed where you live Frankie, my card was cloned at the cashpoint in Rainhill at the Shell garage (not once, but twice!) so beware :dozey:

luckily i never go to rainhill lol, but thanks for the heads up my sisters usually go the shell garage so i shall tell them.

MikeyB
10-03-2009, 12:29
Funny you ask this.

I needed to get out more than £200 last night, and thought my Lloyds TSB debit card had a £200 limit.

Went and tried it and it let me get out what I needed, okay it was only £220 but that more that I remember I could get out before.

SnoopZ
10-03-2009, 12:42
You might try going to the cash point at Lloyds and getting out £200, theen go straight to a cashpoint of another bank and do the same. This worked for me once when i needed the money for a holiday. Or try getting it in a shop like Tesco.

AndyCambs
10-03-2009, 13:24
yeah iv got a cheque book but i have never used one before, it isn't to difficult is it to use one?

You don't know how to use a chequebook?

The limit is normally imposed on cash withdrawals to prevent unauthorised use of cards. Best option is to go into the bank and they will check the transaction and give you the money.

Charlie_Bubble
10-03-2009, 13:25
All you have to do is walk into a Lloyds branch and ask them. They'll do it there and then if you have the funds. I've taken £1000 out in cash before by doing this.

tweetypie/8
10-03-2009, 15:16
:tu:;)You are limited for a reason, just in case someone does get hold of your card and pin. Only thanks to this alone, my account was only £180 down, instead of over 1k which they tried to withdraw after cloning my card :erm: (still it didn't stop them purchasing hundreds of pounds worth of mobile phones online :rolleyes: - i did get the money back, but months later!)

sound advice.

Kymmy
10-03-2009, 15:17
You will though need photo identity to draw out across the counter of another branch... (Passport, full DL..etc..)

Nidge
10-03-2009, 16:21

Mmmmm funny you should say that, I got ripped off by a Shell Garage 2 years ago, I'd paid for diesel on my Credit Card and went on my merry way, 2 months later I get a nice phone call from Barclaycard asking me if I'm having a nice holiday? I'm not on holiday I replied, they said are you sure sir? Yep I'm at home watching Central Tonight. My card had been cloned by the Shell Garage 2 months before, it made all the local news stories. They tried to take me for £1500 in Indonesia but it got flagged in Northampton. Nice to know they were on the money when it came to flagging my account.

AndyCambs
10-03-2009, 16:24
Mmmmm funny you should say that, I got ripped off by a Shell Garage 2 years ago, I'd paid for diesel on my Credit Card and went on my merry way, 2 months later I get a nice phone call from Barclaycard asking me if I'm having a nice holiday? I'm not on holiday I replied, they said are you sure sir? Yep I'm at home watching Central Tonight. My card had been cloned by the Shell Garage 2 months before, it made all the local news stories. They tried to take me for £1500 in Indonesia but it got flagged in Northampton. Nice to know they were on the money when it came to flagging my account.

I have an Egg card which I used for my season ticket. The high amount was enough to flag it to Egg as an apparent invalid transaction, and I received an automated call to verify the transaction.

v0id
10-03-2009, 16:31
You don't know how to use a chequebook?

People still use cheque books? :p

You will though need photo identity to draw out across the counter of another branch... (Passport, full DL..etc..)

That depends whether the other branch has the chip and pin thingy-ma-bobs

Nidge
10-03-2009, 16:32
I have an Egg card which I used for my season ticket. The high amount was enough to flag it to Egg as an apparent invalid transaction, and I received an automated call to verify the transaction.

It wasn't for Peterborough United was it? I'd have flagged that as an invalid transaction.:D Only kidding mate:angel:

Halcyon
10-03-2009, 19:01
Normally you can take a fixed amount say £250 out from the cash point and then go in to the bank and get out another £250.

Charlie_Bubble
10-03-2009, 19:36

A year of two ago they discovered a ring of Sri Lankan immigrants had taken a lot of jobs in garages (Many of them were Shell ones) and were copying cards. There were a few garages in the Guildford area that had this problem. My friend and his girlfriend had their cards cloned in one of the garages in Guildford. I think at the time, Shell admitted they had a problem and had to re-think their chip and pin solution.

fireman328
10-03-2009, 19:43
You could ask for a counter cheque in the bank.