PDA

View Full Version : *.*.ntl.com to *.*.virginmedia.com

Kymmy
08-03-2009, 16:52
When did VM start changing the domains on the conections from ntl.com to virginmedia.com??

KingDaveRa
08-03-2009, 17:15
Mine flipped from .ntl.com to .virginmedia.com, then back to .ntl.com!

Toto
08-03-2009, 17:31
When did VM start changing the domains on the conections from ntl.com to virginmedia.com??

Could also ask why its taken so long as well?

Ignitionnet
08-03-2009, 17:37

The next generation CMTS (50Mbit compatible kit) that have recently appeared have had .virginmedia.com DNS for their IP scopes.

I'm sure someone more in the know will be able to be more specific.

graf_von_anonym
10-03-2009, 01:45
Some of the domain names have been changing at a rate which suggests that it occurs when the registration has expired on the old one, probably in an effort to avoid confusing the naming authority and other bodies. Others have changed during The Great Renaming, when all the UBRs on the Telewest side of things became CMTS units. They're still the same thing, just differently named so it's unified across the three halves of the network. Others have had virginmedia ones since they were installed. For the most part they're virginmedia.net though, aren't they? That domain was created in 2000, and there was an update in 2007 to the WHOIS which would match with the ntl:Telewest rebranding, so I'd say some of it has been happening since then. A lot of the higher servers just before the head-ends still mention NTL, but my suspicion is they're not so much legacy as borrowed through ntl:Telewest Business. So the short answer is that they started renaming them at some point between now and 2007, but it doesn't really have any effect on your connection* so it's not worth worrying about.

So there's five answers. Of course, I could just be making things up.

* I know, I know that there's a small chance that it could affect routing, but since these are largely just new names for the same servers it's not like they're getting further apart, and since we're talking about routing of packet data it's the IP that matters and those haven't changed, but conceivable minor delays in DNS resolution could make tracert and pathping a mite slower, but if you're worried about that I have a tinfoil connection optimiser to recommend.