PDA

View Full Version : Downgrade to 2MB still possible?

MrB
07-03-2009, 16:17
I wonder if anyone can help - my BB L has just gone up to £25 per month, which is not competitive in the current market. Is it still possible to downgrade to BB M for existing customers (out of contract) and if so, how much should it be please?

Many thanks

MrB

Ernie_C
07-03-2009, 16:21
If you ONLY have BB L, I don't think so but you should be able to get the current offer of BB L for £20 when on ebilling.

If you have been on a package with other services then your BB L has always been £25 although you may recently have had your discount reduced.

Chris
07-03-2009, 16:23
Very unlikely I would have thought, as the 2meg tier is being upgraded to 10meg anyway.

MrB
07-03-2009, 17:19
Sorry forgot to say, on a package with XL TV, L BB, XL Phone, V+, extra box, loyalty pack C discount of £23, gone up to £47 ish overall including £25 for L bb.Thank youMrB

BenMcr
07-03-2009, 17:40
In that case no - it is not possible to downgrade to BB M

MrB
07-03-2009, 18:47
I was on this level of discount before adding V+, upgrade from M to L BB and additional STB? I understood when I moved last year that the contract was minimum 12 months but the agreed discounts would remain until I changed packages, but it went up £8 this month after the 12 months were up.

Without being ungrateful for the £23 discount, which is for loyalty, how come the BB prices that they take this off do not compare with published bundles (i.e. appear to be significantly more)?

Many thanks

Anon

DRZ400
07-03-2009, 18:54
With the help of the peeps on this forum I managed to reduce my bill from £59 to £35. :)

And please remember! http://www.virginmedia.com/wehearyou/OffersForAll.html

MrB
07-03-2009, 18:54
With the help of the peeps on this forum I managed to reduce my bill from £59 to £35. :)

From what to what please?

Many thanks

Mr B

BenMcr
07-03-2009, 18:59
I was on this level of discount before adding V+, upgrade from M to L BB and additional STB? I understood when I moved last year that the contract was minimum 12 months but the agreed discounts would remain until I changed packages, but it went up £8 this month after the 12 months were up.
How they managed to put two discounts on your account I'm not sure - the Loyalty one of £23 should have been the only one you got.

The £8 discount was a Broadband discount which was designed to last up to 12 months only and then automatically remove itself

Without being ungrateful for the £23 discount, which is for loyalty, how come the BB prices that they take this off do not compare with published bundles (i.e. appear to be significantly more)?
Because the BB prices posted on the internet are AFTER DISCOUNTS

BB M (for those that have it) still shows as £18
BB L still shows as £25
BB XL still shows as £37

There are then discounts applied to give the appropriate overall price

Doesn't apply in this case as he is already getting the services cheaper than the equivalent new customer price - which for the services detailed (TV XL, Phone XL, BB L, V+, extra STB) would be £58.95

DRZ400
07-03-2009, 19:08
MrB ...Bens the one who helped me and his advice was bang on the money.

MrB
07-03-2009, 19:08
Thank you BenMcr - would there be any benefit in losing the £23 loyalty discount? Is there a better deal available for XL TV, L BB, XL Phone, V+ and additional STB?

Much as it is discounted down, it would still potentially be cheaper going to BT for phoneline, Sky for TV, BB and phone (including Quidco £50 cashback, £30 M&S voucher) - however I have been with C&W/NTL/Virgin since the mid-90s and generally happy with the service!

Many thanks

MrB

BenMcr
07-03-2009, 19:09
Honestly no - you aren't going to get a better price that you currently have for the services you have

Even if you swap although you might get the upfront cashback stuff the monthly price is likely to be almost exactly the same (if not a bit more)

Ernie_C
08-03-2009, 09:01
Without being ungrateful for the £23 discount, which is for loyalty, ........
The naming of this discount really makes me laugh. They were almost exclusively given to people who threatened to leave at the time Virgin Media lost the Sky channels.
They would have been better called DISloyalty discounts and should all have been removed right away when the Sky channels came back to Virgin Media.

MrB
08-03-2009, 10:08
The naming of this discount really makes me laugh. They were almost exclusively given to people who threatened to leave at the time Virgin Media lost the Sky channels.
They would have been better called DISloyalty discounts and should all have been removed right away when the Sky channels came back to Virgin Media.

"Almost exclusively" - I never threatened to leave or had any issue with losing Sky - I did however have issues with being charged completely over the odds for the services I was receiving at the time, compared to published prices and compared to the market. If people/you are happy paying full price for everything, good luck to them/you, but as with mobile phones, utilities, insurance etc, if you are not happy, you look at what other deals are available and you have a choice to stay or not, and Virgin (provider) has the opportunity to deal or not. It is what is called market forces or competition - and for Virgin and other providers it is their choice whether they want to retain a customer (hence the department!) or not. If loyalty by your definition is anyone accepting a cut in services, or paying over the odds, then loyalty works both ways.

Many thanks for all the assistance on this thread - BenMcr in particular, it is much appreciated.

MrB

MrB
08-03-2009, 22:37
PS - With talk on here of M being completely withdrawn on 9th March (cannot remember where I read it), I had a look through my files and saw on my old bill that this discount was in place before I upgraded to L last year. I therefore thought it was worth checking - phoned and spoke to Virgin and they were able to downgrade my L to M BB without affecting the discount - £7 per month saved and service will go back up from May onwards (or whenever this region goes up).

MrB

chuzzlemonkey
08-03-2009, 23:27
PS - With talk on here of M being completely withdrawn on 9th March (cannot remember where I read it), I had a look through my files and saw on my old bill that this discount was in place before I upgraded to L last year. I therefore thought it was worth checking - phoned and spoke to Virgin and they were able to downgrade my L to M BB without affecting the discount - £7 per month saved and service will go back up from May onwards (or whenever this region goes up).

MrB

Lucky!

in the next 34 minutes the code that is used for 2mb will be blocked from use so you got in on that just in time!

And you'll find yourself with 10mb by the end of may anyway! lol.

Well played!