PDA

View Full Version : Phone only rings once

fuzzums
06-03-2009, 22:41
Can anyone please give me some advice. I don't want to call BT out, if the problem is the internal wiring as I know they will charge me.
Just before Xmas, one of my phones started only ringing once and the other phone stopped ringing completely. You can still answer calls as long as you hear it ring! It is fine making out-going calls. I have bought 2 new digital phones, but neither of these ring at all in any sockets.
I have a socket in the hall, which I don't think is a test socket, as there is no faceplate, but it is the one which comes into the house from outside. When I plug my cordless phone in, there is no dial tone, when I plug a corded phone in, it just constantly rings!The only other thing I have plugged into the socket is broadband. I can't understand why the main socket appears not to work, but the extension socket does (kind of, well I get a dialing tone at least). I have done the online phone line check with BT, but that came up as negative.
Any ideas where the fault may lie?
Many Thanks
:confused:

sejomarga
06-03-2009, 23:52
Phone socket connections are numbered but in a home-unless your sockets are connected to a system- you only use 3 connections:blue/white wire on 2,white/blue wire on 5 and orange/white on 3 for the bell cct.This pattern,so to say, must be the same on all your sockets.You have a break/disconnection on one of these wires.You will need a wire inserter otherwise you could damage the connections,check them all first and test,if you have a wiring fault you can divert the faulty wire or buy a socket with a capacitor,a yellow tube,this will allow your phone to ring without the bell cct.Just use 2 and 5 connections.Good luck

mr,m
07-03-2009, 00:06
Well that cleared that up then,nice and straightforward :geez:

Paul K
07-03-2009, 09:00
Do any of your sockets look like this?
http://www.broadband-finder.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/bt_master_socket_2.jpg
If one does then you have a test socket. If you have more than one socket on the line you should have one of these, if not there is little you can do to troubleshoot this issue, you can call BT and go through steps with them but they will not send out an engineer unless you agree to the risk of call out fees so don't worry about a suprise charge.
If you have a master / test socket you need to isolate it for testing, if you cannot do that yourself you will need to get a phone engineer in or BT in to do it for you to sort out the problem.

sejomarga
07-03-2009, 13:06
Hello there,
I dont know why I have been sent this post, I did send one yesterday to someone that had problems and only tried to help,fortunately I have been in the world telecom for many years and know how to tackle this problem.In any case thanks for your advised.
Kind regards.Jose

fuzzums
07-03-2009, 22:19
Thanks Sejomarga for your advice, I will check this.
Paul - no my socket doesn't look like the picture.

Paul K
08-03-2009, 07:53
That would be the problem then, if none of your sockets have a split front plate you have no where to test the fault from to see if it lies at your side of the line of at BTs which is why you have been warned of possible charges. Unless you are happy to unwire the sockets from the main socket you have no way of being sure what is happening and will need to cross your fingers with BT.

fuzzums
08-03-2009, 09:40
Whether I should have done or not I don't know, but I have checked all the sockets and they appear to be wired correctly as advised by sejomarga. If I have a break in one of these wires somewhere in the house, would this prevent me getting a diailing tone on the main socket in the hall or is that another problem?!

BT Support 1
10-03-2009, 16:50
Hi fuzzums,
I am sorry to hear about this problem with your line.
I read from your post that you've already checked your telephone sockets. I would recommend also having a look at the link below and see if there is anything there that you haven't tried yet:
http://bt.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt.cfg/php/enduser/cci/bt_adp.php?p_faqid=9818&p_sid=LnEx-psj&p_lva=&cat_lvl1=345&cat_lvl2=353&cat_lvl3=374&p_cv=3.374&p_cats=345%2C353%2C374
If you're still having problems after the troubleshooting test the next thing to do is to contact the BT faults team. I'll send you a PM and if you want I can arrange to have your line checked for you.
Once the faults team carries out their preliminary tests they should get a better idea as to where the fault is.
Cheers,
Stephanie
BT Support

Chris
10-03-2009, 16:57
Could I please remind users that they should be cautious when giving personal information to anyone on the internet. The user 'BT Support 1' has previously demonstrated to us that she holds a position within BT however it is still very much up to individual forum members to decide whether they wish to share their data.

gifton
14-09-2011, 10:54
Just recently I bought a new phone/answerphone. It worked fine or while, then I started getting the same as you. 1 ring only on all the phones, so I disconnected the new phone and tested. Everything back to normal and when I test with phone connected ...same thing 1 ring only. I have deduced from this, that my new phone must be faulty. I will be taking it back to Argos.