PDA

View Full Version : Draytek 2910VG and 50Mb XXL?

bikefright
06-03-2009, 14:28
Just wondering if my 2910VG will support the 50Mb service which is now in my area? I guess it will work, but will it be able to take advantage of the full 50Mb?

Anyone got any real-life experience of this?

Robertus
06-03-2009, 14:36
Yes it will as it's a 100mbit router.

Although wireless won't be able to fully utilize it (I doubt).

bikefright
06-03-2009, 14:45
Excellent! Thanks Robertus.

Thankfully, wireless is not an issue for me (I tried it for a time, but now have Cat5e most places and powerline adapters for a few hard to reach areas).
:D

Peter_
06-03-2009, 19:06
Excellent! Thanks Robertus.

Thankfully, wireless is not an issue for me (I tried it for a time, but now have Cat5e most places and powerline adapters for a few hard to reach areas).
:D
You do get this Netgear wireless N router (http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WirelessNRoutersandGateways/WNR2000.aspx) free as part of the package plus a USB dongle as well.

Hom3r
06-03-2009, 19:43
You do get this Netgear wireless N router (http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WirelessNRoutersandGateways/WNR2000.aspx) free as part of the package plus a USB dongle as well.

What if like me you have 2 Laptop and a netbook, can you get others with a discount?

Peter_
06-03-2009, 19:46
What if like me you have 2 Laptop and a netbook, can you get others with a discount?
BenMcr is your man I am Tech Support;)

Mad Ad
06-03-2009, 22:04
Just wondering if my 2910VG will support the 50Mb service which is now in my area? I guess it will work, but will it be able to take advantage of the full 50Mb?

Anyone got any real-life experience of this?

Yeah i use 2930s, I phoned and spoke to Draytek tech department before using the first one, the figures they quoted me for the range was:

2820: 50 meg and 15k connections (split adsl/cable unit)
2910: 15 meg and 10k connections
2930: 60 meg and 20k connections

That does seem low for the 2910, but they may have quoted the figures with everything activated (vpn, qos etc) by all means phone and ask if you are in doubt, they are very helpful.

BenMcr
06-03-2009, 22:09
Nope. If you want additional 'N' adapters you have get them from a shop - Virgin won't supply them

carbon60
06-03-2009, 22:10
I've done some research into Draytek routers for their dynamic DNS VPN support a while ago and from the specs I read the 2910VG wasn't capable of 20Mbit so I had to look at the ugly looking 2930 instead. I've had a quick look for the webpages again and found:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/comparison.html

Which states a firewall speed of 15Mbit.

I went for a Netgear FVS338 in the end.

broadbandking
06-03-2009, 22:41
Aslong as the router has a 100Mbit Wan/lan port(s) you'll be fine to use the connection wired, if you want wireless speeds @ around 50Mbit you need a wireless N router and adaptors.

Stabhappy
08-03-2009, 01:00
Aslong as the router has a 100Mbit Wan/lan port(s) you'll be fine to use the connection wired, if you want wireless speeds @ around 50Mbit you need a wireless N router and adaptors.

Not really, depends on the CPU speed and available resources on the device, which if any of the above links are to go by, could be quite a major factor.

General Maximus
08-03-2009, 07:07
I am glad somebody started this thread because I need to add to the confusion now. I was under the impression that my Linksys wrt54g would be able to handle 50mbit wired as well but i only get 50mbit when I connect directly to the modem. When I go through my router I only get 26mbit max (wired). I didnt understand why and I have now ordered the new wireless N version hoping that is going to make a difference (I know the N/inceased speed is only supposed to be for wireless).

broadbandking
08-03-2009, 09:27
I am glad somebody started this thread because I need to add to the confusion now. I was under the impression that my Linksys wrt54g would be able to handle 50mbit wired as well but i only get 50mbit when I connect directly to the modem. When I go through my router I only get 26mbit max (wired). I didnt understand why and I have now ordered the new wireless N version hoping that is going to make a difference (I know the N/inceased speed is only supposed to be for wireless).

A standard G router can as I have used a DLINK and got full 50Mb when it was wired wirelss you wont get any where near 50Mb

---------- Post added at 09:27 ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 ----------

Not really, depends on the CPU speed and available resources on the device, which if any of the above links are to go by, could be quite a major factor.

The G router have 2.4Ghz CPU same as the netgear N router virgin supply so you comment is alittle incorrect

General Maximus
08-03-2009, 17:24
crap, maybe it's the cable linking the router to the modem that isn't up to standard then, I'll find out when the new one arrives tomorrow

Pushkar
08-03-2009, 18:29
crap, maybe it's the cable linking the router to the modem that isn't up to standard then, I'll find out when the new one arrives tomorrow

I have an old WRT54G and it supports 50mb just fine, although I do choose to use my apple one.

carbon60
08-03-2009, 22:40
My old Linksys WRT54GS used to max out at 1.76MB/sec which is approximately 14Mbit. There are various versions of the Linksys WRT54G/GS which will have different WAN to LAN speeds.

This chart has some WAN to LAN speeds for various routers so you can check compatibility if you don't want to use the Netgear one that Virgin supply:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_chart/Itemid,189/

By the way, 2.4Ghz is the frequency of the wireless not the speed of the router's CPU.

General Maximus
10-03-2009, 17:42
Weirdly enough my new router had helped and I don't understand why. I thought the wrt54g should be able to handle 50mbit with a wired connection but it max out at 26mbit. My new Linksys wirless N has arrived today and handles 50mbit wired no problemo.

Sephiroth
08-10-2010, 00:08
Apart from my specific 50 meg modem problems, I can confirm that the Draytek 2910VG cannot deliver better than 25 Mbps. I made sure at least Cat 5e cable was used and all subsidiary functions of the router were disabled other than wireless (nothing running on it at the time).

When I connect to the modem directly with the same cable I can get higher speeds (including the full 53 meg) when my other problems aren't in evidence.

I'll be getting an Airport Extreme to replace the Draytek.