PDA

View Full Version : Mac Code check

chris26engwales
05-03-2009, 19:10
My dad was contacted in regards to his internet problems earlier and they said that they will be monitoring the mac address for a week.

Whats this for?

Peter_
05-03-2009, 19:12
My dad was contacted in regards to his internet problems earlier and they said that they will be monitoring the mac address for a week.

Whats this for?

Depends what the issue is, probably 2nd line periodically checking for whatever the issue was he rang in with.

Any more details as to what the issue is.

xocemp
05-03-2009, 19:34
I doubt 2nd line have the time to monitor your dads MAC for a week, sounds more like your or your dad has been given duff information.

graf_von_anonym
05-03-2009, 19:59
There are tools that allow historical usage to be determined from a MAC address, and there are tools that show the stability of a connection. If the signal levels and flap count and the like are recorded at point A, and then analysed a week later at point B, then for all intents and purposes the connection has been 'monitored' over that duration. It's maybe minimal, but it's efficient and useful.

The tools to which I refer can show how frequently (if at all) the modem disconnects, the traffic that goes through the modem, and historical state changes from the modem as well as some measure of the variation of signal to it. So it's at least equivalent to monitoring it for a week, though it isn't as if someone will be looking at the modem constantly.

Of course, there is a chance that it's what one might call "a lie", but I suspect Virgin have higher priorities than fibbing to your dad.

Peter_
05-03-2009, 21:42
Periodically may be once a day, but what is the issue.

Chicken
06-03-2009, 00:00
Flap count.. *snigger* :D

graf_von_anonym
06-03-2009, 07:06
Flap count.. *snigger* :D

Google it in quotes. It is outright filth. Routing, routing, teletubbies, metalwork, animals...