PDA

View Full Version : Pet Insurance .

Quam256
04-03-2009, 20:16
Can anyone recomend a company for pet insurace as looking around and finding it difficult as so much choice.

zing_deleted
04-03-2009, 20:17
Tesco honestly £8 quid a year for my dog

Quam256
04-03-2009, 20:18
Tesco honestly £8 quid a year for my dog

Hi Zinglebarb. A year ?

Raistlin
04-03-2009, 20:18
Big :tu: for Tesco from me as well.

Bargain price, good service, prompt payment if anything does go wrong.

Quam256
04-03-2009, 20:19
Big :tu: for Tesco from me as well.

Bargain price, good service, prompt payment if anything does go wrong.

2 for Tesco

zing_deleted
04-03-2009, 20:25
Hi Zinglebarb. A year ?

oopps no a month lol

Quam256
04-03-2009, 20:43
oopps no a month lol

lol

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 20:26 ----------

Just had a qoute from Tesco and looks good for the cover they give.

Fingy
04-03-2009, 20:44
We are with Petplan and have found them really good, our cat has a urinary problem (bless him) and needs special food to dissolve crystals in his bladder which is totally covered under the plan. We just have to pay the excess yearly and get his urine tested a few times a year by the vet. £10.73/month.

WHISTLED
04-03-2009, 20:45
Cheap pet insurance doesnt mean good insurance, Mark and Spencer have a very good policy and good price, as do Sainsburys

Quam256
04-03-2009, 20:51
This is what i need to weigh up,what might work for one person may not for another.
Some are cheaper but have higher premiums and the cover for each illness may be short .
I dont mind paying more for the piece of mind.

The(pet) is a Staffordshire , had him from a puppy ,now 6 years old 4 and a half stone and daft as a brush.

WHISTLED
04-03-2009, 21:38
Money supermarket allows you to compare prices and cover.

Having also claimed from Marks and Spencer they offer good level of service also.

superbiatch
04-03-2009, 22:14
I'd get him insured soon as my staffie reached 7 and wasn't insured (an oversight!) and his policy virtually doubled. I suppose thats because he's more likely to suffer which his health. Things to look out for with staffies are hip displaysia (sp) and problems with teeth - mine has both! I missed a cracked tooth while he was out of insurance and cost me over £600 to have on of his canine teeth removed under anaestetic :rolleyes:

rogerdraig
04-03-2009, 23:47
we use http://www.rspca-petinsurance.co.uk/

notel
05-03-2009, 18:20
I would NOT recommend M&S: They increased the premium for Chaka, my Ridgeback by 163% this year having "seriously undervalued their policies in previous years". I was gloating when I first signed up with them in 2007 when the premiums were £13 per month, which they then increased to £19 in 2008 because of "spiralling vets' fees". This year, despite knowing that other reputable suppliers can more than half the premium, I am now paying these crooks an exorbitant £50 a month. Because they have me by the short and curlies due to the 'pre-existing condition' clause which precludes cover of my dog's skin allergy with another company. (His treatment last year was nearly £1000)

Shop around is the best policy! But even then there is no regulation of premiums so they can charge what they like within the realms of staying competitive: At which rate M&S Pet Insurance should, I hope, go bust.

David

Stuart
05-03-2009, 18:34
I have to admit, I am rather dubious of the value of pet insurance. We looked at getting it, and found that while it appears cheap at £8 a month, the cover charge was over £60. Every visit we've had to the vets over the last 3 years (I am not counting the cost of Frontline flea prevention, as I don't think insurance covers this anyway) has been less than £60.

So, in our case, had we had pet insurance, we would have paid out £8 per month, and on each visit, we would still have had to pay out and been unable to claim.

I suppose you can say that about any insurance though, and I know that our vet is not a chain vet and will not attempt to sell us treatments he doesn't really think our pets need (unlike my aunt's vet who is part of a chain and put her perfectly healthy little puppy through a lot of very expensive and stressful tests before he would innoculate him), which keeps the costs of our visits to him down.

Paul
05-03-2009, 18:36
We also use Tesco.

notel
05-03-2009, 18:38
Don't start me off on vet's fees - How can they possibly justify £130 a shot for antibiotic jabs?

Begize
05-03-2009, 18:49
We use Sainsburys for our cat - have done for a few years and seems good value. Touch wood, never had to claim and she only goes to the vet once a year for her jabs which is about £40.

Thing with Sainsburys is they jack the price up quite steeply each year. Last year when we looked around, there were loads of places cheaper so rang them up to see if they could beat it. Rather strangely, they couldn't if we renewed, but if we cancelled and took out a new policy it went back to what we had been paying and we got £20 of vouchers (which turned into £30 when they hadn't arrived after 6 months and I complained).

This year, the same thing happened - couldn't beat the price but would let us cancel and take out a new policy, no vouchers this time though :(