PDA

View Full Version : Any Project Managers online?

superbiatch
04-03-2009, 19:14
I'm applying for a new post in work which my manager has let it be known to myself she'd like me to apply. I've managed small projects in the past with no staff and small budget (30k), and I'm currently a manager with a small team so cumulatively I suppose I have something to offer.

Whilst chatting with my manager she suggested that Prince2 qualification isn't the bee-all and end-all qualification it used to be, but she'd be happy to fund an alternative.

Hopefully I'm not jumping the gun here as I'd like to get any job on merit alone, but has anyone heard of any other project management qualifications which are well recognised?

Thanking you very kindly

SB :tu:

bmxbandit
04-03-2009, 19:42
T'missus is... best alternative is APM (http://www.apm.org.uk/) apparently, though she seems very much of the opinion that nobody cares about anything that isn't Prince2.

Also, Prince2 you do straight away, but APM builds up over time, exams at 1, 2, 5, 10 years or something similar. She also advises not taking it on your birthday (and made me put this bit in! :p:)

Raistlin
04-03-2009, 20:08
Registered PRINCE2 Practitioner here :)

I enjoyed PRINCE2 and think it's a valuable set of skills to have, provided that you are able to employ it in the delivery of the projects you're involved in.

Unfortunately the working practices of the Department I work for make any proper use of the strategies from PRINCE2 almost impossible, I do try to adopt (and adapt) the basic principles where I can though.

The really important thing to remember is that PRINCE2 is just a framework and that no amount of certifications in it are going to help you more than experience will.

At the end of the day the best thing to do is probably to get some reading materials on PRINCE2 and APMP and get a feel for how they differ, what their strengths and weaknesses are, and how they sit alongside your existing skill sets - one framework/set of principles will feel better to you than the other, that's the one to go for.

Good luck :tu:

superbiatch
04-03-2009, 20:19
T'missus is... best alternative is APM (http://www.apm.org.uk/) apparently, though she seems very much of the opinion that nobody cares about anything that isn't Prince2.

Also, Prince2 you do straight away, but APM builds up over time, exams at 1, 2, 5, 10 years or something similar. She also advises not taking it on your birthday (and made me put this bit in! :p:)

The 2 day introductory course looks interesting if I can find a location not too far away - I might even get work to pay for it. Thank you :)

It seems I'm not in a great location for attending a two day course, so i'm considering the self study and then attending an exam. By reading this I can't make out how I study in advance, whether I only pay for an exam etc http://www.apm.org.uk/IntroductoryCertificate.asp

I know if i contact them I could find this out, but i'd be interested to know if anyone else has self-studied towards one of the APM qualifications and how they structured it?

Hugh
04-03-2009, 21:03
I would recommend the Prince2 - provides a common language and framework.

I am sending all my managers on this course, and my Techs and Tech managers on ITIL.