PDA

View Full Version : 20MB Broadband Speed Issues

Eambo
04-03-2009, 17:08
Hi there. Sorry if there's an answer elsewhere that I should have used, but after trying many methods on this forum my internet speed is still terrible.

I'm directly in the City Centre of Belfast, I've had Virgin Media for about a year and a half now, and the broadband has never been satisfactory. I think my highest download ever was about 15mbps. I'm waiting on the 50mbps service coming out, however if I can't even get a decent 20meg connection, what's the point?

Anyway as per usual, Virgin Media puts it down to my router. I disconnect my router, connect directly, they say my router needs reset. They told me to leave my modem off half an hour and try again in half an hour - more than likely to get me off the phone.

I'm not novice when it comes to broadband set up, I used to work for Sky Broadband tech support, and I ocassionaly network in my spare time. I've tried as much as I can to get it to work - but to no avail.

Here are my stats from my router page if they help:

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 4
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 7.2 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 42.4 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 1
Upstream Frequency : 25800000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 49.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Also I have another modem I could try, however obviously the MAC isn't registered. I was thinking about maybe trying to flash the firmware and change the MAC to my current virgin modem, if possible? Any help about that would be appreciated if you can't think of anything else to help.=

Again, thanks for any help.

chickendippers
04-03-2009, 17:32
If the modem's the problem then VM will replace it for you FOC - the wonders of leased equipment :)

Peter_
04-03-2009, 18:07
Which model is your modem click this link to the Chetnet site and post which one http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/index.php?page=index_v2&id=91&c=4