PDA

View Full Version : Swapping from STB to modem

punky
03-03-2009, 11:54
It looks like I need a STB -> modem swap. I need it as seamless as possible though as I use the Internet a lot.

Firstly, will the STB use the Internet up until the moment I plug the modem in and power on? i.e. seamless? Or would VM need to disable the STB internet before they issue a modem (i.e. loss of Internet for days?)

Secondly, a few people on here seem to have engineer installs. Can they post me one? I think they've done it before? Would be a lot quicker I should imagine.

Many thank in advance.

Ignitionnet
03-03-2009, 12:50
The STB will be live up to switch over.

They'll send you a kit consisting of cables, splitter and modem to self-install.

Cheers.

punky
03-03-2009, 12:57
The STB will be live up to switch over.

They'll send you a kit consisting of cables, splitter and modem to self-install.

Cheers.

Many thanks mate :tu:

Sinate
03-03-2009, 13:35
And once it's switched over the STB should not work, right?

Stabhappy
03-03-2009, 13:40
A quick phonecall is needed to register the modem, and in turn the STB should be permenantly removed from the system.

Sinate
03-03-2009, 13:49
Thanks. VM tried to swap me on to a modem months ago, but it was not very stable. I went back to the STB which continued to work.

Looks like the new modem was never set-up probably. Strange it worked at all really.

Will now try again with the modem, now 10Mb is coming to us lower classes.

Steve.

punky
03-03-2009, 16:13
I just spoke to VM in India. He's claiming there is a £15 charge to switch to a modem. I thought it was supposed to be free?

Peter_
03-03-2009, 18:31
I just spoke to VM in India. He's claiming there is a £15 charge to switch to a modem. I thought it was supposed to be free?
It is completely free and it should be with a manned install as well, what else do you expect to hear from who you spoke to!

Blaze
04-03-2009, 02:13
I got a manned install. A guy came and installed the modem, called up and registered the modem. Within 2 hours, I got internet from the Modem.

punky
04-03-2009, 11:15

Just called back and managed through pure luck to get through to one of our thistle-wearing chapettes. Dead lovely, modem ordered no problems with no charge. If only it can always be that simple. I'm still really ****ed off at the way this has come about though.

Peter_
04-03-2009, 18:02
Just called back and managed through pure luck to get through to one of our thistle-wearing chapettes. Dead lovely, modem ordered no problems with no charge. If only it can always be that simple. I'm still really ****ed off at the way this has come about though.
Just be awre Punky that they may just send out the modem and not a Quickstart kit which you need to be able to use both your STB and the modem, may be worth a call to check, if not tell them it is the next item under the modem to order it.