PDA

View Full Version : Strange drop in speed of 50MB!?

blenky
03-03-2009, 01:00
Something strange happens when I'm downloading over a period of time - a few hours - on my 50 Mbit line.

I start d/ling from newsgroups and its flying - maxing out nicely. After a few hours the speed suddenly plummets to around the 10 -20 Mbit mark.:(

Tried a speed test which bears out this speed and a cable\router reboot doesn't help.

Anyone else with 50 Mbit experienced this? Its happened twice now within the last week.

InfiniteBiscuit
03-03-2009, 01:07
A lot of people have mentioned the 50Mbps product being gash on newsgroups... I haven't had the chance to try newsgroups with it though, so can't really speak from experience.

I dunno why it suddenly drops, places like Giganews have the bandwidth there for customers with much higher connection speeds, yet VM's 50Mbps doesn't like it...

In terms of torrenting though, 50Mbps hasn't let me down. It'll happily sit at 5MBps and higher consistently. However, at those sorts of speeds, you're not waiting long anyways. :P

blenky
03-03-2009, 01:15
A lot of people have mentioned the 50Mbps product being gash on newsgroups... I haven't had the chance to try newsgroups with it though, so can't really speak from experience.

I dunno why it suddenly drops, places like Giganews have the bandwidth there for customers with much higher connection speeds, yet VM's 50Mbps doesn't like it...

In terms of torrenting though, 50Mbps hasn't let me down. It'll happily sit at 5MBps and higher consistently. However, at those sorts of speeds, you're not waiting long anyways. :P

...and then half an hour later it just as suddenly bumps back up to Max!

Speed drop was not specific to my Newsgroup provider (Newshosting) as the drop was also present on Virgins newsgroups and born out by a speed test.

Ah well bound to be issue with something new. Not complaining as mostly excellent, just wondered if anyone else found this happening?

BTW how do you get that sort of speed on torrents!

Rone
03-03-2009, 08:30
As long as its ok for browsing though. ;)

broadbandking
03-03-2009, 08:35
...and then half an hour later it just as suddenly bumps back up to Max!

Speed drop was not specific to my Newsgroup provider (Newshosting) as the drop was also present on Virgins newsgroups and born out by a speed test.

Ah well bound to be issue with something new. Not complaining as mostly excellent, just wondered if anyone else found this happening?

BTW how do you get that sort of speed on torrents!

Use a private tracker

HSp8
03-03-2009, 09:05
had my speed drop like this couple of times in last week - rebooted modem/router and went back to normal

Ignitionnet
03-03-2009, 11:55
Something strange happens when I'm downloading over a period of time - a few hours - on my 50 Mbit line.

I start d/ling from newsgroups and its flying - maxing out nicely. After a few hours the speed suddenly plummets to around the 10 -20 Mbit mark. :(

I see someone's getting the goodies before 50M gets STM'd ;)

HSp8
03-03-2009, 13:02
I see someone's getting the goodies before 50M gets STM'd ;)

quite right - get your library of Linux distros at full speed while you can

PowerUser
03-03-2009, 18:47
It would be commercial suicide to STM a new product.. But they will soon enough when they feel they have got enough subscribers.. Which I think really sucks titties..

I Thought the new Docsis 3 was designed to handle large volumes of traffic...And the whole point of it was to move the heavier users with 50mbit onto it so that the lower tier services would improve.. Otherwise what's the point "!!

Con us out of £52 a month by limiting our usage again..No thankyou

P.S I get the same drops using GIGANEWS..It was all fine @ 6mb/s then all of a sudden 1.2kb/s then 987kb/s. eventually I lost connection to there servers and could not reconnect until
I rebooted by modem.. Really weird...

Peter_
03-03-2009, 18:52
They are not traffic managing 50Mb as for one the is nothing to measure it against and as said above it would be commercial suicide.

The Installer
03-03-2009, 22:12
They are not traffic managing 50Mb as for one the is nothing to measure it against and as said above it would be commercial suicide.

No one said they were "at the moment" but they will soon enough ....

Peter_
03-03-2009, 22:16
No one said they were "at the moment" but they will soon enough ....
Plenty of posts in different threads including this one are inferring it, but as yet the are no plans and the is a possibility that it may never happen, we will all just have to wait and see.

General Maximus
04-03-2009, 08:08
do you actually know that for a fact Moldova (as in your work for VM?). I heard that they were definitely introducing stm once they had finished rolling it out completely although they hadnt decided on the thresholds yet.

Peter_
04-03-2009, 09:03
do you actually know that for a fact Moldova (as in your work for VM?). I heard that they were definitely introducing stm once they had finished rolling it out completely although they hadnt decided on the thresholds yet.
As I said above no plans at present.

General Maximus
04-03-2009, 11:31
that does not inspire me with confidence

HSp8
04-03-2009, 11:42
I upgraded to the 50Mb package assuming that once the roll out is complete, STM will most likely be introduced - it'd be nice if it wasn't

telfordcable
04-03-2009, 11:45
VM does have STM on 50Mbps but they wouldn't tell you this because they want every customers to sign up 50Mbps at £50 a month and when the roll out is 100% complete, then they will put STM updating on the website straight away to SHOCK YOU ALL.

That's why I stick to my 10Mbps at £10 a month for 12 months as I am happy with it. Not interesting on either 20Mbps or 50Mbps cos what the point of waste your money away !

Ignitionnet
04-03-2009, 12:16
If you have some proof of this it'd be most welcome. I'm assuming you do as you're stating it as fact.

blenky
04-03-2009, 17:01
I got in early - surprisingly Brighton have been done already - to enjoy this grace period. I've no doubt VM will intruduce some sort of STM when they have a bag load of, lets face it, its heaviset users going hell for leather on their 50 Mbit pipe!

By then I will be hopefully at least half way through my new 1 year contract so will not have too long to wait if I decide to switch packages.

krowlys
08-03-2009, 21:54
I've had 50Mbit installed for a few days now and I'm also getting this speed drop. While downloading from Giganews the speed just drops down from 6MB/sec to around 500K/sec. When this happens I can't access certain websites either. If I restart the modem all is fine again, untill the next drop. This also happens when downloading from other places so it's not entirely down to Giga.

Sometimes it fine for 3hrs or so, and other times I have to restart the modem every 10mins. It's getting dam irritating and what's even more irritating is tech support from VM, who don't have the slightest clue what they are doing! Finally they are sending a technician out tomorrow, so I'll report back with any news.

blenky
09-03-2009, 01:33
I've had 50Mbit installed for a few days now and I'm also getting this speed drop. While downloading from Giganews the speed just drops down from 6MB/sec to around 500K/sec. When this happens I can't access certain websites either. If I restart the modem all is fine again, untill the next drop. This also happens when downloading from other places so it's not entirely down to Giga.

Sometimes it fine for 3hrs or so, and other times I have to restart the modem every 10mins. It's getting dam irritating and what's even more irritating is tech support from VM, who don't have the slightest clue what they are doing! Finally they are sending a technician out tomorrow, so I'll report back with any news.

When I get the drop - it doesn't seem to last very long. Keeping an eye on it. Not bad enough to report as yet.

Peter_
09-03-2009, 06:59
VM does have STM on 50Mbps but they wouldn't tell you this because they want every customers to sign up 50Mbps at £50 a month and when the roll out is 100% complete, then they will put STM updating on the website straight away to SHOCK YOU ALL.

That's why I stick to my 10Mbps at £10 a month for 12 months as I am happy with it. Not interesting on either 20Mbps or 50Mbps cos what the point of waste your money away !
They do not have STM on 50Mb otherwise I would be inundated with calls and so would my colleagues.

PowerUser
09-03-2009, 09:27

This is exactly my problem, so please tell us what your technician has to say about it!...

Wyrdo
14-03-2009, 10:57
I had 50mb installed yesterday and am experiencing this exact problem, not impressed so far I must say. Going to be calling them back in a mo.

Sirius
14-03-2009, 11:06
Strange

Been downloading for about 20 mins, My speed has just dropped from 48meg solid to 4.3 meg and very erratic, Will report back when the speed improves

Edit

now slowing increasing again.

telfordcable
14-03-2009, 13:09
i told you many times .... it was throttling and secret STM on 50Mbps but VM won't tell you this.

xocemp
14-03-2009, 13:24
i told you many times .... it was throttling and secret STM on 50Mbps but VM won't tell you this.

Source of your infomation please?

chuzzlemonkey
14-03-2009, 13:25

There is no secret STM on 50mb.

Your terms of service will state that your package is subject to trials for STM. So if you are certain that STM is in place on your connection, this would be the only explanation.

Turkey Machine
14-03-2009, 14:34

Would you stop with the vendetta for blaming low speeds on STM? I get a bit sick and tired of reading this post / similar posts of yours all over threads.

chuzzlemonkey
14-03-2009, 14:36
Probably a bitter throttler himself! lol

Turkey Machine
14-03-2009, 14:37
Oh, if only that'd happen. Of course he's a legit downloader, no BitTorrent at all.............

krowlys
14-03-2009, 16:12
This is exactly my problem, so please tell us what your technician has to say about it!...
Well the technician arrived and said it was probably just a network problem. Because I live in flats I asked him to check the wiring coming into the building. A few years ago when I signed up to telewest they had to link a new cable in from across the road and I was the only one on it. I had a feeling they may not be using a seperate cable for everyone in the building.

Sure enough every time they had installed someone new in the building, they had been very lazy and just put a splitter in and run off of the one cable. There were 4 other flats running off the same link. The technicain was quite amazed at the bad wiring and is quite sure this will be my problem. Apparently they must only run a max of 3 services off the same cable, i.e phone, tv, and internet for 1 flat / house. 50Mbit needs a very clean signal to work correctly.

VM are fitting a new cable for just my flat this Monday so I'll let you know if it's a success.

blenky
14-03-2009, 16:54
I posted my speed drop issue on the VM support newsgroup.

I got a response within half an hour.

The Technical Support guy said my network appeared OK by my modems downstream power level is quiet high and may cause my connection to
slow down.

I have an engineer coming out Monday to lower this.

I'll let you know if it stops this happening.

---------- Post added at 16:54 ---------- Previous post was at 16:53 ----------

Strange

Been downloading for about 20 mins, My speed has just dropped from 48meg solid to 4.3 meg and very erratic, Will report back when the speed improves

Edit

now slowing increasing again.

How long did it last?

Ignitionnet
14-03-2009, 17:08

STM speeds are very stable at the policed rate. If yours are really erratic when STM'd it'll be that tin foil hat messing with the signal.

leexgx
14-03-2009, 17:21
lol

sprattgraham
14-03-2009, 22:04
Had 50MB installed today and it seems very slow at times, what sort of speeds do you guys get if you download the 1GB file from here: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download/

Mine reports: 4.08M/s

Sirius
14-03-2009, 22:22
How long did it last?

It was not the broadband. It seems i have a dodgy lan port. I have installed a new lan card and its been fine ever since. It seems to be performing better than with the old card as well

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/03/40.png

blenky
16-03-2009, 18:54
Had a engineer in early to reduce my Downstream Power level (apparently it was too high?).

Not really helped. Started d/l at max about 10 minutes ago then suddenly speed dropped by about 50% for no reason - see Speedtest result:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/03/38.png (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/%5BURL=http://www.speedtest.net%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://www.speedtest.net/result/430868651.png%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D)

Mmm :confused:

xocemp
16-03-2009, 19:46
I'm not saying this is the answer, I'm just throwing this into the mix

Kaspersky causing slow speeds

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=31287000

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=103125

fedupstill
16-03-2009, 20:41
I'm not saying this is the answer, I'm just throwing this into the mix
Kaspersky causing slow speeds

although i use nod32 i do have the option of 2 pc's so ill disable my anti virus and test :) ive heard of people having issues with winrar archives where the antivirus real time scanner cant ok files unrarring as fast as they unpack and causes crc errors so its a possibility and dont mind trying if it can help.

nuttyslack
05-06-2009, 22:25
I had strange download speeds, was on the phone nearly an hour to tech support, was finally told it was probably kaspersky slowing down the speeds, after searching on the net, and a couple of unticked options in kaspersky I can now download at near just about full speed.

Jabbs
05-06-2009, 22:31
what news program do you use ? i posted in another thread about it when i was using newsleecher on my 50 meg install today it was bad speeds started high then dropped rapidly like it couldn't keep up i then tried alt-binz and my speeds were 6.2mbs for the time i tried it, worth a try.

nuttyslack
05-06-2009, 23:02
newsbin pro, never had a problem, best news prog I have used

Rik
07-06-2009, 10:36
what news program do you use ? i posted in another thread about it when i was using newsleecher on my 50 meg install today it was bad speeds started high then dropped rapidly like it couldn't keep up i then tried alt-binz and my speeds were 6.2mbs for the time i tried it, worth a try.

I have used Newsleecher on a dedicated 100Mb connection and it performed flawlessly.

NotaVMFan
07-06-2009, 10:57
we will all just have to wait and see.

And peeps get locked in the 12 month contract.....

Peter_
07-06-2009, 11:35
Plenty of posts in different threads including this one are inferring it, but as yet the are no plans and the is a possibility that it may never happen, we will all just have to wait and see.

---------- Post added at 11:35 ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 ----------

And peeps get locked in the 12 month contract.....
Try posting the full quote as it gives a clearer picture.

If people want 50Mb then they will sign up and no one twists their arm, and what do you want a contract that is not tied in to a 12 month period, well that is not going to happen with any company that is providing a premium product.

If you do not like Virgin then do not sign up and look elsewhere but no other company can give you 50Mb at the moment.