PDA

View Full Version : Open DNS and Virgin Media

chris26engwales
02-03-2009, 01:39
I have been using the Open DNS with Virgin Media for almost a year at my dads in swansea but now if i try using these his connection drops from around 9.2mb to under 4mb.

Is there a reason for this?

Are there any other free DNS services i can try?

MikeyB
02-03-2009, 08:34
The DNS wouldn't make a difference to the speed of your connection, the DNS is used to look up a websites IP address from it's URL.

I use opendns here and have no problems.

AndyCambs
02-03-2009, 12:48
Nor me - no speed problems at all.
Have you tried resetting the DNS so that OPEN DNS isn't used, and re-checking your speed?

pabscars
02-03-2009, 14:30
Apologies for butting in, what are the benefits of using OPEN DNS

Chris
02-03-2009, 14:42
It is a very effective means of blocking entire categories of website from your home network (i.e. pr0n). And it's free. I use it at home to block my children from getting to stuff I don't want them to see.

pabscars
02-03-2009, 14:50
It is a very effective means of blocking entire categories of website from your home network (i.e. pr0n). And it's free. I use it at home to block my children from getting to stuff I don't want them to see.

Thanks, i wasnt sure if there was any other benefits, apart from it filtering such content,

Can it slow down your speed though

Chris
02-03-2009, 14:56
No, it can't. All a DNS service does is convert the web address you use (e.g. bbc.co.uk) into the numerical address the internet uses (e.g. 212.58.224.138). Your ISP provides one, that is used by default unless you change your internet connection settings. If you alter your settings to allow you to use OpenDNS's service instead, every time you request a web page the OpenDNS service will first check to see what (if any) blocklists that webpage might be on. If it's not on any blocklists you have specified should apply to your network, it will return the numerical address for the page you require and your browser can then load it. If it named on any lists you have chosen to apply to your network, then it will instead serve you a page explaining that it is blocked and why it is blocked. Either way, the process takes only milliseconds and is frequently faster than the DNS service provided by your own ISP.

OpenDNS's involvement ends with the provision of the numerical address of the page you want to load. After that, the throughput you get while load ing that page is nothing to do with OpenDNS

rjsetford
02-03-2009, 14:58
Thanks, i wasnt sure if there was any other benefits, apart from it filtering such content,

Can it slow down your speed though

I find using openDNS actually speeds general web browsing up a little. DNS lookups tend to be slightly faster to openDNS.

As previously mentioned, it's great for blocking access to dubious websites, provides useful stats and best of all, it's free!!!

Rich

steveh
02-03-2009, 15:14
You should be aware though that OpenDNS make their money on tracking your usage and selling on the marketing data.

Chris
02-03-2009, 15:26
You should be aware though that OpenDNS make their money on tracking your usage and selling on the marketing data.

OpenDNS does not sell any personally identifying data so it's a bit misleading to say they are 'tracking your usage and selling' it. They provide high-level, aggregated stats, much as many other web-based services do.

They make their money by placing adverts in search engine results that are displayed instead of your browser's default 'cannot find page/DNS error' page.

chris26engwales
02-03-2009, 15:38
Nor me - no speed problems at all.
Have you tried resetting the DNS so that OPEN DNS isn't used, and re-checking your speed?

yes and once the Open DNS isnt used it works fine.

rjsetford
03-03-2009, 10:00
yes and once the Open DNS isnt used it works fine.

I don't want to sound flippant, but don't use it then.

Rich

*sloman*
03-03-2009, 10:12
I find using openDNS actually speeds general web browsing up a little. DNS lookups tend to be slightly faster to openDNS.

As previously mentioned, it's great for blocking access to dubious websites, provides useful stats and best of all, it's free!!!

Rich

I Agree i use OpenDNS 10x better than VM's DNS service.

Caster
03-03-2009, 11:32
Try 4.2.2.1 - 4.2.2.6. They don't have the filtering that OpenDNS has but if it's reliablity and speed you want they're awesome.

Matth
03-03-2009, 17:09
The one speed drop that can be expected from opendns, is being given a non-local address, though perhaps this is reduced since their London site was added.

It definitelty returns a different address for google.com