PDA

View Full Version : Slow Speeds in SA1 area of Swansea

Welshchris
02-03-2009, 00:07
My connection is really slow tonight and also having problems with timing
out and pages only loading part way.

I have done some speed tests on speedtest.net and speedtest.io and i get between 4 - 7 mb out and of 20mb which is appauling. Also on gamefiles im getting a max download between 4 files of around 545kb/s.

Ive been having problems on and off for weeks now its really starting to take the micky now.

Modem info is below.
Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 7
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 6.9 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 41.6 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 2
Upstream Frequency : 29200000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 46.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Cable Modem Operation Configuration
Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 768000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled,
Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

DRZ400
02-03-2009, 01:43
You can add Southampton and London to your list ... My 10M is down to 2Meg. :(

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33646520-vm-bb-has-seriously-slowed-since.html

Welshchris
02-03-2009, 01:56
its really starting to take the micky now. Virgin Media are gonna find themselves in deep trouble again soon if this carries on with a lot of people.

Peter_
02-03-2009, 08:43
My connection is really slow tonight and also having problems with timing
out and pages only loading part way.

I have done some speed tests on speedtest.net and speedtest.io and i get between 4 - 7 mb out and of 20mb which is appauling. Also on gamefiles im getting a max download between 4 files of around 545kb/s.

Ive been having problems on and off for weeks now its really starting to take the micky now.

Modem info is below.
Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 7
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 6.9 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 41.6 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 2
Upstream Frequency : 29200000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 46.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Cable Modem Operation Configuration
Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 768000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled,
Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled
The above power levels are fine, so the speed issue may on the uBR.

Ignitionnet
02-03-2009, 09:52
Did you report this to VM prior to your newsgroup post?

Any packet loss?

Russ
02-03-2009, 09:54
I'm sure there's a recorded message on the tech support number about problems in SA1 (other than the area being an over-developed eyesore ;))

Welshchris
02-03-2009, 14:32
Did you report this to VM prior to your newsgroup post?

Any packet loss?

i did yes, and when i woke this morning my connection speed was still only 9.7mb and i posted again on the newsgroup and by the time i just came back my connection is now 19.2mb.

Funny that isnt it. I stand by what i said in a post previously on here Virgin Media are intentionally limiting connections when they shouldnt be.

---------- Post added at 14:23 ---------- Previous post was at 14:20 ----------

Whats the best way of checking for packet loss....?

---------- Post added at 14:32 ---------- Previous post was at 14:23 ----------

I was just looking at this..... and i tried it

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/loss.html

the netstat -s -p tcp command was first i tried and on that site it says any highter than 5 retransmitted and there r problems....

TCP Statistics for IPv4

Active Opens = 874
Passive Opens = 400
Failed Connection Attempts = 3
Reset Connections = 229
Current Connections = 19
Segments Received = 71591
Segments Sent = 62769
Segments Retransmitted = 266

Mine was 266 retransmitted.

Ignitionnet
02-03-2009, 14:38
i did yes, and when i woke this morning my connection speed was still only 9.7mb and i posted again on the newsgroup and by the time i just came back my connection is now 19.2mb.

Funny that isnt it. I stand by what i said in a post previously on here Virgin Media are intentionally limiting connections when they shouldnt be.

I wouldn't go to the ISPA with that theory, there's no proof there at all and I can assure you it's not the case.

Just as a thought, there are probably 'a few' 20Mbit customers sharing your downstream with you, along with all the 10 and 2Mbit customers. In my case there are a total of 400 customers sharing the 38Mbit with me. Doesn't take many people using it at once to slice 10Mbit off.

I think you just saw a loading spike which took you to 9.7, someone was having a damn fine leech session. All it would take is one 10 or 20M customer to stop what they were doing and you get the 9.5Mbit back.

Welshchris
02-03-2009, 14:48
I wouldn't go to the ISPA with that theory, there's no proof there at all and I can assure you it's not the case.

Just as a thought, there are probably 'a few' 20Mbit customers sharing your downstream with you, along with all the 10 and 2Mbit customers. In my case there are a total of 400 customers sharing the 38Mbit with me. Doesn't take many people using it at once to slice 10Mbit off.

I think you just saw a loading spike which took you to 9.7, someone was having a damn fine leech session. All it would take is one 10 or 20M customer to stop what they were doing and you get the 9.5Mbit back.

this has been happening for weeks, modem reboots, and when u mention this to them it suddenly returns. To much of a coincidence.

Ignitionnet
02-03-2009, 15:06
But you're the only person I've seen complain about it sir.

If the modem is rebooting repeatedly that suggests a problem with the modem, not the network. There is no need for Virgin to reboot your modem to mess with the traffic.

Welshchris
02-03-2009, 15:17
i have reported this to them and also posted on here what they tried claiming was wrong. They said it was Auto UBR balancing and that it was changing channel and thats why modem was rebooting and thats total nonsence. Virgin Claim there are NO! problems yet why is it when i do get the problem and report it within 2hrs all is well again EVERYTIME. Thats much more of coincidence.

chris26engwales
02-03-2009, 15:39
My dad has also had slow internet and random reboots of his modem in Swansea this weekend. Maybe its an area thing where Virgin Media are not admitting to as they usually do.

Welshchris
02-03-2009, 15:46
i wouldnt put it past them Chris.

Ignitionnet
02-03-2009, 16:19
Or maybe it's a fault, dodgy modem power supply, dodgy more, whichever.

As I said Virgin will not be randomly rebooting modems on purpose. If they did reboot your modem you'd be able to tell from the event logs.

Welshchris
02-03-2009, 16:48
but what ur telling me is complete rubbish as what im telling u has come from Virgin media support themselves. They said that it IS todo with them.

Russ
02-03-2009, 17:00
Virgin Claim there are NO! problems

I'm sure there's a recorded message on the tech support number about problems in SA1

:angel:

Ignitionnet
02-03-2009, 17:02
Virgin Media support told you that they are randomly rebooting and throttling modems in Swansea?

You'll forgive me if I struggle with that statement. I didn't say that they were blameless, I said that they are not intentionally rebooting or throttling.

Could you please supply your new modem stats though, upstream channel changes do not reboot modems so if your modem is rebooting due to them there are issues with your modem.

Balancing between dual docsis downstreams will cause non-DOCSIS 1.1 running and higher modems to lose connection though, will be easy enough to tell if you've been shifted though.

Am interested in Downstream and Upstream Frequency.

Welshchris
02-03-2009, 17:11
I think u need to read what i have put.... On the newsgroups Virgin Media stated the reason my modem was rebooting is that Automatic UBR balencing was taking place and it was switching channel and i said it was a load of nonsence and this is part of the same problems i get slow speeds. So on one hand they admit they know the modem is rebooting as they can see in their logs yet they say theres no problems where there must be!.

Im just telling u what i was fobbed off with by Virgin Media.

---------- Post added at 17:11 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33645450-modem-resetting-problems-again.html

There is my original post and what the tech said on the newsgroups

Ignitionnet
02-03-2009, 17:14
Understood, oddly I can't see any response from them to you in the newsgroups. I would still be interested in those modem stats, easy way to see if you've moved downstreams.

Think a lot of this confusion is from you saying about modem rebooting, rather than just losing sync.

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 17:11 ----------

I've read that post and that only happens middle of the night, not during the day and shouldn't be rebooting modems, dynamic upstream channel changing without kicking modems offline has been around a while, unless Cisco or Ambit have software issues forcing something a bit harder core to be used when moving modems across.

Welshchris
02-03-2009, 17:19
well something is wrong and they had better fix it fast or a major complaint is being filed. It happens almost every weekend and now and then during the week. Yesterday my connection was all over the place, first between 4 - 7mb, then when i went to bed last night it was at 18.9mb, when i got up was at 9.7mb, 2hrs later after making the complaint its back to 19.2mb as usual.

Thats no spike, thats a major problem on the network that they r not admitting to.

Ignitionnet
02-03-2009, 17:31
You can disprove the balancing thing easily enough, just note down the downstream and upstream frequency from time to time.

die5el
02-03-2009, 17:48
Im Also getting the same issues since friday having an engineer out tomorrow cant even play an online game on the ps3 if this problem persists it will be bye virginmedia

Welshchris
02-03-2009, 17:59
when i was living at my old flat, i had 3 engineers out in a month and he couldnt find a problem, they then admitted it was a UBR problem and took 6 months to fix it.

Peter_
02-03-2009, 18:24
well something is wrong and they had better fix it fast or a major complaint is being filed. It happens almost every weekend and now and then during the week. Yesterday my connection was all over the place, first between 4 - 7mb, then when i went to bed last night it was at 18.9mb, when i got up was at 9.7mb, 2hrs later after making the complaint its back to 19.2mb as usual.

Thats no spike, thats a major problem on the network that they r not admitting to.
I do know if you spoke to me and I saw a fault on your connection that I would tell you and also either give you a estimated resolution time or do my best to find it out for you while you were still on the phone, and that goes for my colleagues as well, it is our job to do this as it is part of the service you pay for, the is no Virgin plan not to tell customers about faults if the is then they have forgotten to tell me.

xocemp
02-03-2009, 19:29
http://www.mfer.net/TinFoilHatArea.jpg

Welshchris
02-03-2009, 21:01
I do know if you spoke to me and I saw a fault on your connection that I would tell you and also either give you a estimated resolution time or do my best to find it out for you while you were still on the phone, and that goes for my colleagues as well, it is our job to do this as it is part of the service you pay for, the is no Virgin plan not to tell customers about faults if the is then they have forgotten to tell me.

all i have said is quite visable for all to see on the Virgin Newsgroups, i have nothing at all to hide.

Im only telling u what support have told me.

---------- Post added at 21:00 ---------- Previous post was at 20:58 ----------

Here we are again, speed is down to less than 10mb

http://www.speedtest.net/result/421603952.png

---------- Post added at 21:01 ---------- Previous post was at 21:00 ----------

if i run a speed test on Speedtest io i know it will be the same, and my downloads on game files between 4 files are 691kb/s

BarFly
02-03-2009, 21:21
Im off the Sketty UBR, 2 i think, been a while since i last needed to check.

No problems what so ever....

Peter_
02-03-2009, 22:04
all i have said is quite visable for all to see on the Virgin Newsgroups, i have nothing at all to hide.

Im only telling u what support have told me.

---------- Post added at 21:00 ---------- Previous post was at 20:58 ----------

Here we are again, speed is down to less than 10mb

http://www.speedtest.net/result/421603952.png

---------- Post added at 21:01 ---------- Previous post was at 21:00 ----------

if i run a speed test on Speedtest io i know it will be the same, and my downloads on game files between 4 files are 691kb/s
I believe you mate and I am sorry that you are having issues with your connection.

Welshchris
02-03-2009, 22:44
i just wish Virgin would admit to it and just sort it instead of trying to always fob off the problem onto the user.

Ignitionnet
02-03-2009, 22:49
i just wish Virgin would admit to it and just sort it instead of trying to always fob off the problem onto the user.

T2 tech support on the newsgroups don't do fobbing off. If the guy says he can't see capacity issues he can't. He might be mistaken but he won't be fobbing you off.

Ask them about it tomorrow morning and see if the retrospective stats have more information, though going in guns blazing threatening them with ISPA and CISAS probably won't make them bust a gut for you dude.

Check out the stuff I asked them about a bit further up, if they see an issue and can help they will.

Welshchris
02-03-2009, 22:53
ive been through this before the last place i lived in and didnt get anywhere till i threatened them. They sent out 3 techs that couldnt find a problem even though i told them that it wasnt my end the problem laid at, and eventually admitted that there had been a UBR problem all along and it had been logged on their system yet no one had told me at all... And it was only going to the ISPA and speaking to someone at the Chief Exects office that got me anywhere and it still took 6 months to sort out.

xocemp
02-03-2009, 22:57
Chris your linking two separate issues as now being the same. Your other thread is a drop in connection this is for slow speeds.
No wait, you have another thread where you claim you know that you are being managed outside of STM times and it may just possibly be you that VM are targeting.

xEdit
You managed to post before I submitted mine.
Go threaten and complain then Chris, you seem adept at it.

Welshchris
02-03-2009, 23:01
its all part of the same problem.... Its only since my broadband modem started to drop out a few weeks ago that all these problems started to happen so in my opinion its all linked.

The Slow downloads, the modem reboots, the page time outs.

Its all down to the same thing.

xocemp
02-03-2009, 23:04
You know this or you think this?

Welshchris
02-03-2009, 23:13
i know this from what i am experiencing and tomorrow i intend to ring the chief execs office and have it out with them.

xocemp
02-03-2009, 23:17
May I suggest writing to the local papers to Chris.

Welshchris
02-03-2009, 23:18
u can think and say what u want, ive been through this procedure before and believe me i will get to the bottom of it and will get it sorted.

xocemp
02-03-2009, 23:20
Try OFCOM also Chris.
And the Dramatic Society

moaningmags
02-03-2009, 23:26
i know this from what i am experiencing and tomorrow i intend to ring the chief execs office and have it out with them.

Good luck with that, the first thing they should do if previous posts here are anything to go by, is to have someone from 2nd line call you to technically troubleshoot the issue.
How will you deal with that given you think they're all lying to you, or are really thick and can't see any issues?

I wonder if the secretary is technically minded.

Welshchris
02-03-2009, 23:41
Good luck with that, the first thing they should do if previous posts here are anything to go by, is to have someone from 2nd line call you to technically troubleshoot the issue.
How will you deal with that given you think they're all lying to you, or are really thick and can't see any issues?

I wonder if the secretary is technically minded.

Getting someone to troubleshoot would be a brilliant start not just saying well we cant find a problem, it must be with ur PC.

---------- Post added at 23:41 ---------- Previous post was at 23:39 ----------

Hi Chris,

Im very sorry about the issues your having regarding your speeds. As part of
the 2nd line support team I would advise against using 3rd party speed
testers to verify your speeds. did you download 2 simultaneous files at the
same time? I have checked the network and cannot see any capacity, or signal
issues at all, everything is ok.

Finally I have checked the power levels on your modem from this end and they
also seem fine.

I am sorry you are having difficulty in establishing a full 20meg connection
but I cannot find any fault which would cause a slow speeds issue at this
time.

--
Kind regards
Paul McFly
VirginMedia Technical Support
http://status2.virginmedia.com/
"Please bottom post when replying to posts."

This is really helpful, one tech says use these testers, other tech says no, and then one leaves it at well im sorry ur not getting what u should be.

moaningmags
02-03-2009, 23:49
Chris you've been here long enough to know everyone slates the speed testers.

The 2nd line guy says "I have checked the network and cannot see any capacity, or signal issues at all, everything is ok."
This means he can see current utilisation and it's not causing concern, he's checked for FEC errors and SNR issues and can't see any problems.
He's remotely checked your modem, we have tools that can tell us how often your modem has been rebooted, whether power levels and such are going outwith accepted levels. He's checked all this and can't see any issues.
What more would you like him to do?

Welshchris
03-03-2009, 00:03
all im trying to say is that this is what happened to me before, i had techs telling me there were no problems, and eventually when i complained to the ISPA i was told there were UBR problems all along and was on record and i should have been told.

xocemp
03-03-2009, 00:09
Then complain Chris because thats what you ultimately want to do and the build up to you complaining is just added drama.

Welshchris
03-03-2009, 00:14
ive already done so, i have filled in the complaint form at the ISPA, all i want is the level of service i pay for nothing more and nothing else and its what anyone else would want in my place.

---------- Post added at 00:14 ---------- Previous post was at 00:13 ----------

its been going on since the beginning of feburary and its getting worse.

xocemp
03-03-2009, 00:17
You go girl!

And have you asked "everyone in your place" if thats what they want or is this just a crusade of yours?

/sets phaser to ignore.

Ignitionnet
03-03-2009, 14:12
ive already done so, i have filled in the complaint form at the ISPA, all i want is the level of service i pay for nothing more and nothing else and its what anyone else would want in my place.

It's frustrating unfortunately there's no guarantee of performance. You are quoted up to 20Mbit and you achieve 20Mbit sometimes, by your own admission.

You'd love my service, I go down to between 6 and 12Mbit at peak times every day and have spent the past 2 days with a touch of packet loss due to SNR issues ;)

Have you seen the more recent update from the newsgroups?

As Paul has previously stated you are not affected by a capacity issue and
it is more likely that something more localised is causing the issue. Please
repost during the evening when you are experiencing slow speeds including
the results of 2 or more simultaneous downloads from
http://gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk , ping & traces to both www.google.co.uk &
bbc.co.uk and finally if you could also include your cable modem's power
levels and SNR at the time of testing. With this information we will be able
to investigate further.

They have not denied wholesale that there is an issue

Welshchris
04-03-2009, 13:15
It's frustrating unfortunately there's no guarantee of performance. You are quoted up to 20Mbit and you achieve 20Mbit sometimes, by your own admission.

You'd love my service, I go down to between 6 and 12Mbit at peak times every day and have spent the past 2 days with a touch of packet loss due to SNR issues ;)

Have you seen the more recent update from the newsgroups?

They have not denied wholesale that there is an issue

if u look on the newsgroup i have done this and the results are on there and the BBC Ping failed completely.

Ignitionnet
04-03-2009, 13:17
if u look on the newsgroup i have done this and the results are on there and the BBC Ping failed completely.

It will do www.bbc.co.uk isn't pingable, try bbc.co.uk.

Welshchris
04-03-2009, 14:29
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Chris PC>ping bbc.co.uk

Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.138] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 212.58.224.138:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Stormblade
04-03-2009, 14:37
try...

tracert bbc.co.uk

Ignitionnet
04-03-2009, 14:42
C:\Documents and Settings>ping bbc.co.uk

Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.138] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=119
Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=119

Ping statistics for 212.58.224.138:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 15ms, Average = 14ms

What troubleshooting have you done on your LAN? I note you have over a decade of experience in 'PC Hardware' so I would presume you've done everything to eliminate possible issues, taken router out of the equation, changed cable to the modem, etc, etc, rather than assuming the issue is with Virgin, right?

Your being unable to ping the BBC but being able to reach the network it's hosted on makes me wonder about your router or PC is all. Your traceroute from last night showed zero packet loss.

Welshchris
04-03-2009, 15:04
tried without a router, tried a different machine being a Toshiba Laptop in the place of my PC via ethernet, the router is Virgin Media Netgear one and as i said a different system also with the same problem.

These problems have only occurred since beginning of Feb when i started having those random reboots. Before that it was brilliant.

die5el
04-03-2009, 17:28
@welsh chris i was having the same problem as you random reboots i had an virginmedia engineer here yesterday and he changed my modem so far no random reboots of the modem yet btw i am also in the sa1 area

Welshchris
04-03-2009, 21:00
Phaps the modem is at fault here also, Virgin have said though it all checks out fine.

Peter_
04-03-2009, 21:03
Phaps the modem is at fault here also, Virgin have said though it all checks out fine.
As I said at the beginning of this thread your power levels are normal.

So the issue is either with your equipment, the green cabinet or the uBR.

Ignitionnet
04-03-2009, 21:14
As I said at the beginning of this thread your power levels are normal.

So the issue is either with your equipment, the green cabinet or the uBR.

Cheers for narrowing it down to the beginning of the chain, the middle and the end :)

Peter_
04-03-2009, 21:15
Cheers for narrowing it down to the beginning of the chain, the middle and the end :)
I Knew you would love that.:D

I did miss out the modem though.

Ignitionnet
04-03-2009, 21:24
Nah we'll take it as implied in between 'your equipment' and 'the green cabinet' :)

Welshchris
04-03-2009, 21:26

I have reported an Open green cabenet in the street twice, first i noticed it christmas day and reported it and they said it will be sorted within 7-14days before new year and second time was end of January.

Seems to have been done now.

matt2324
04-03-2009, 21:52
We have also been experiencing VERY slow speeds in the SA5 (Fforestfach) area. Me and my next door neighbour both pay for 20mb, and recently (Past 2 weeks) have been getting less than 1mb 24/7.

Welshchris
04-03-2009, 22:12
think the truth is starting to surface here with so many users coming forward.

xocemp
04-03-2009, 22:57
think the truth is starting to surface here with so many users coming forward.

What truth Chris, do you know something we and 2nd line don't know.

And "so many users coming forward"

Different post code, I'd like to see if you are both on the same cmts, card or even card and upstream. I'll bet you are not.

We have also been experiencing VERY slow speeds in the SA5 (Fforestfach) area. Me and my next door neighbour both pay for 20mb, and recently (Past 2 weeks) have been getting less than 1mb 24/7.

Welshchris
04-03-2009, 23:34
support will try anything to get out of admitting lol

xocemp
04-03-2009, 23:38
In what way Chris, can you give some examples please?

Welshchris
04-03-2009, 23:59
examples, they said my PC was to blame last time i had a problem and they couldnt find a problem, sent out 3 engineers and they couldnt find a problem at my end, Chief execs office then told me that it was UBR all along and support should have informed me of that as they knew.

My Friends TV went off and Virgin claimed it was his Box when all along it was a complete area outage and they knew about it.

Billing tried saying i had cancelled my DD with them when i hadnt, it was still active at the bank but not with them and then sent me a letter asking for £147.

These are just some from different departments.

xocemp
05-03-2009, 01:07
May I ask why you stay with VirginMedia Chris?

Welshchris
05-03-2009, 01:18
because atm im stuck in a contact after that im off to Sky as many of my friends have done and never looked back.

Ignitionnet
05-03-2009, 03:42
support will try anything to get out of admitting lol

I look at the newsgroup virginmedia.support.broadband.cable... I see the very odd occasion where one agent might have missed something, another picks it up. Be it utilisation, SNR or whatever these guys do not 'try anything to get out of admitting'.

Remember that everything they have said to you is on the news server and read by anyone who might be passing by. Do you really think that these guys who admit to many faults each and every day have something personal against you?

While it wouldn't surprise given your tone when you reported the post and the threatening with the ISPA and CISAS they are very aware that how they respond is public record, and two separate agents have said there are no capacity or SNR issues that they can see.

Chances are they are telling the truth, and I can see you desperately looking for a way to blame them. A guy raised a fault in the newsgroups and I personally mentioned that he was in SA1, he's on a different card to you so not an issue. Another guy is in SA5, chances of him being on the same kit as you are basically zero.

No doubt there's a fault somewhere but work with these guys to find it instead of assuming they are lying at every turn, maybe even ask them how the response to the modem looks, they can do additional diagnostics to it but are only human and will struggle to put themselves out while you thunder away at them, accuse them of blagging you and try and tell them it's a utilisation issue, they have lots of pretty graphs updated every 5 minutes straight from your uBR that say otherwise!

matt2324
08-03-2009, 10:08
This is getting absolutely ridiculous now. It is 10am on a Sunday morning :

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/03/59.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Ping times excellent, upload speed higher than it should be. Definately not a problem my end

DRZ400
08-03-2009, 15:47
Any slower and you may as well use the Royal Mail to send your packets!

matt2324
08-03-2009, 16:12
Any slower and you may as well use the Royal Mail to send your packets!

Lol!

Ignitionnet
08-03-2009, 17:38
Are VM aware Matt?

matt2324
08-03-2009, 18:05
Are VM aware Matt?

Yep, and they insist that there is no fault in the area despite my neighbours and someone several streets away confirming slow speeds.

Welshchris
09-03-2009, 22:03
Well i just had another disconnection at 21:42.

This time it left this in the event viewer on PC...
The IP address lease 192.168.1.2 for the Network Card with Ethernet

Address 001731xxxxxx has been denied by the DHCP Server 192.168.1.1
(The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK Message)

and this message in the router logs...
[UPnP set event: Public_UPNP_C3] from source 192.168.1.2, Monday, Mar
09,2009 21:42:12

Nothing was left strange in the modem logs.

moaningmags
09-03-2009, 22:08
All those ip addresses are from your router.
Your router denied you access.

Hmm, not a Vm issue then.

I just had read back through the entire thread and in post 52 you mention 'tried without a router'.
How long did you try for? 5 minutes?

xocemp
09-03-2009, 22:13

Address 001731xxxxxx your ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
DHCP Server 192.168.1.1 your router and it couldn't assign a IP address via DHCP so your connection dropped.

Your friend (http://www.google.co.uk/), use it before jumping to conclusions.

Welshchris
09-03-2009, 23:25

Address 001731xxxxxx your ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
DHCP Server 192.168.1.1 your router and it couldn't assign a IP address via DHCP so your connection dropped.

Your friend (http://www.google.co.uk/), use it before jumping to conclusions.

But what is causing it, its been fine till the modem reboots started and now im having these problems.

---------- Post added at 23:25 ---------- Previous post was at 23:25 ----------

All those ip addresses are from your router.
Your router denied you access.

Hmm, not a Vm issue then.

I just had read back through the entire thread and in post 52 you mention 'tried without a router'.
How long did you try for? 5 minutes?

2 days.

Paul
09-03-2009, 23:26
Please dont post full mac addresses, thanks.

Ignitionnet
09-03-2009, 23:26
It was a network card MAC address?

In other news...

Well i just had another disconnection at 21:42.

This time it left this in the event viewer on PC...
The IP address lease 192.168.1.2 for the Network Card with Ethernet

and this message in the router logs...
[UPnP set event: Public_UPNP_C3] from source 192.168.1.2, Monday, Mar
09,2009 21:42:12

Nothing was left strange in the modem logs.

All LAN side of router, which is why nothing would have appeared in the modem logs, 12 Years experience in Computer Hardware, 9 years self employed will tell you that one... actually you list experience from when you were 15 and self-employed since 18? Interesting.

moaningmags
09-03-2009, 23:28
Did it drop during those 2 days?
Which lights went off on the modem?
What was your ip address when it dropped?
Were you able to ping the modem, bbc, anywhere when it dropped?

This is all basic troubleshooting.

moaningmags
09-03-2009, 23:35
But the modem didn't reboot, your router decided it didn't want to give you a connection.

Welshchris
09-03-2009, 23:37
It was a network card MAC address?

In other news...

All LAN side of router, which is why nothing would have appeared in the modem logs, 12 Years experience in Computer Hardware, 9 years self employed will tell you that one... actually you list experience from when you were 15 and self-employed since 18? Interesting.

as ive stated that was just one problem that ive had, the others have included modem reboots and in the past ive included the modem logs but since this one today was different i didnt do that. I knew this was a router error but what i wanted to know is it all to do with the same issue as these issues have only appeared since the modem reboots have started.

moaningmags
09-03-2009, 23:41
My modem has lost connection quite a few times in the last month due to area problems and during each and every disconnection, my router has kept our 6 computers connected to it allowing me to access any of the other comps on my network, so no I don't think a modem reboot has anything to do with it. I have a Netgear WGR614v7 with the firmware it came with.

Welshchris
09-03-2009, 23:48
Well i recieved an email from the person who is dealing with my problem in the chief execs office, he has stated that basically there was a problem found locally and it has now been solved and that could have been the cause of my modem reboots from time to time.

<irrelevant text removed>

moaningmags
09-03-2009, 23:52
No disrespect intended to anyone who works in the chief execs office but what do they know??
Chances are they have no idea what a ubr, node, router, or server is.

Welshchris
09-03-2009, 23:59
again all im stating is what ive been told by virgin rightly or wrongly, and i will wait to see how my connection goes now.

I wonder if it was the green box outside that i have reported open twice since christmas.

I first noticed it open Christmas day and was reported on the newsgroups. I was told it was gonna be dealt with. Again i saw it open end of January and reported it again and only reciently ive seen some kind of silver thing wrapped around it holding it closed.

Russ
10-03-2009, 01:22
Any further childish bickering and infractions will be issued. No exceptions.

Welshchris
12-03-2009, 21:35
Problem is still ongoing and this is what i was told this evening...

Hi Chris,

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with your connection speed.

I have checked the network and can see that the SNR is quiet low on your
UBR, I have passed this to our network team to investigate. We're sorry for
any inconvenience caused.

--

Kind Regards

<Mod Edit (Matt D) - Name Removed>
Virgin Media Technical Support
http://status2.virginmedia.com/
Please bottom-post when responding to aid viewing for all readers, thank
you.

moaningmags
12-03-2009, 21:41
Given the 300 times they've already checked the ubr for you and not found this issue before, and the fact he's raising it to networks shows it's a problem that's just developed and not something that's been there forever.

Welshchris
12-03-2009, 21:48
maybe...

moaningmags
12-03-2009, 21:52
No maybe about it, anyone who checks your connection using the tools available have instant access to the snr levels, both on the ubr and on your modem. Had it been seen previously it would already have a fault reference number.

xocemp
12-03-2009, 23:20
Complaint or no, my advice still stands. Using your real mail address in the groups is not a good idea Chris.

Welshchris
13-03-2009, 21:06
CEO office contacted me today they have found the problem.

Traced it to a local cabanet.

He said the SNR should be a min of 22% where mine is under 17% and this is what is causing the problems and it has been passed onto the team involved.

xocemp
14-03-2009, 11:01
The SNR is on the cable and should be above 20 db, below this will cause slow speeds.
As Mags has said the CEO are not technical.

Russ
14-03-2009, 18:02
If members get harrassing PMs from anyone, send them to a member of the team please.

MovedGoalPosts
14-03-2009, 18:07
Yet again, this thread has seen moderator intervention and a clean up. Formal warnings are also now being issued. Debate the issues civilly, without insults, snide digs, divulgance of personal or confidential information. In short behave, or don't get involved.

Saneboy13
14-03-2009, 18:34
Welshchris,

If there is a problem with SNR on your Cab. then why as the on call Network Engineer for Swansea have I heard nothing?

I have checked your Node, UBR and there are no issues there. If there is this SNR issue then I would have heard about it by now as it would have been affecting a lot more than just yourself.

For over two weeks you have complained here that there are "Problems with VM's Network". I will let you know again what I told you on the 4th of this month in a PM...there are no issues off your UBR or Node. If there was this big issue as you have said, then I would expect to see a HUGE influx of calls for slow speeds, as you are situated in an area that has a big student population.

Welshchris
14-03-2009, 18:41
Welshchris,

If there is a problem with SNR on your Cab. then why as the on call Network Engineer for Swansea have I heard nothing?

I have checked your Node, UBR and there are no issues there. If there is this SNR issue then I would have heard about it by now as it would have been affecting a lot more than just yourself.

For over two weeks you have complained here that there are "Problems with VM's Network". I will let you know again what I told you on the 4th of this month in a PM...there are no issues off your UBR or Node. If there was this big issue as you have said, then I would expect to see a HUGE influx of calls for slow speeds, as you are situated in an area that has a big student population.

I cannot answer that, but i have posted on here what i have been told on the newsgroups and what i have been told by VM CEO themselves. I also passed on the message that u give me saying that u urself couldnt find a problem and they only replied well theres definately one now.

U can check urself with what they posted as a reply on the newsgroups.

Saneboy13
14-03-2009, 18:49
Chris,

I have just sent you a PM.

Welshchris
14-03-2009, 19:06
thanks replied... I appreciate the help ur trying to give thanks.

Saneboy13
14-03-2009, 19:11
Not a problem Chris

Welshchris
19-03-2009, 12:03
Well just had a call from someone called Mark at Virgin Media to say my problem has been fixed. Wheather or not its true i dont know i will wait to speak to the engineer this afternoon and see what is happening.

xocemp
19-03-2009, 12:06
Your issues were still unrelated.

Welshchris
19-03-2009, 12:32
i just hope the net holds out now lol

Peter_
19-03-2009, 19:19
Well just had a call from someone called Mark at Virgin Media to say my problem has been fixed. Wheather or not its true i dont know i will wait to speak to the engineer this afternoon and see what is happening.
If you had a call saying your issue was fixed then surely they cancelled any engineer visit at the same time if he was coming about the same problem.

xocemp
19-03-2009, 20:32
No Moldova.

Chris has his own special techs and contacts the CEO & ISPA because everyone else in virgin is lying to him except those mentioned herein.

Welshchris
19-03-2009, 20:49
If you had a call saying your issue was fixed then surely they cancelled any engineer visit at the same time if he was coming about the same problem.

the engineer wasnt coming out, he was gonna ring me. The Engineer is a guy ive been chatting to on here and he came to my flat also funny enough as part of his work and he was the one that found the SNR Problems and was looking into it.

Peter_
19-03-2009, 21:36
No Moldova.

Chris has his own special techs and contacts the CEO & ISPA because everyone else in virgin is lying to him except those mentioned herein.
AH special ones:D

---------- Post added at 21:36 ---------- Previous post was at 21:35 ----------

the engineer wasnt coming out, he was gonna ring me. The Engineer is a guy ive been chatting to on here and he came to my flat also funny enough as part of his work and he was the one that found the SNR Problems and was looking into it.

moaningmags
19-03-2009, 22:19

Can you please be a bit more consistent.

In post 88, you pasted a response from the newsgroups tellling you low snr had been found and was being raised to networks.

Then you said the CEO's office found the SNR issue.

Now the friendly neighbourhood tech has found it.

I find it very frustrating when the story you're telling us changes day by day.

Welshchris
19-03-2009, 22:30
The CEO and Newsgroups found the SNR was dipping on the same day.

The problem couldnt be found even though they knew there was a problem, even the tech on here contacted me to say he had been through the info on my connection and couldnt find it until he had 2 reports. Then he actually witnessed it happen itself on tuesday and rang me to say he had seen the report of it himself.

Im not changing any story its just the way that u want to interpret it.

at the end of the day i know what im sayin to be true and ive nothing to hide and i couldnt really care what anyone else on here thinks at all. Im just helpful for the tech tracking down the problem and getting it sorted as quickly as he can.

moaningmags
19-03-2009, 22:37
Chris, 2nd line told you on the 12th there was an snr issue.

Welshchris
19-03-2009, 22:39
yes and then told me again the same day as what the CEO office did to clairfy.

they told me there was an SNR problem but no fix date yet on the same day the CEO told me they also came back to me with a fix date and reference number.

xocemp
19-03-2009, 22:39
For the CEO to find it they would have contacted 2ndline, the same department that mans the newsgroups Chris. Also the same department that a first line agent would have contacted to report it to if you'd have called in.

I'm going to post the newsgroup posts here Chris, for clarity as there seems to be much confusion as to what was the issue of slow speeds and the others you have mentioned.

Welshchris
19-03-2009, 22:46
For the CEO to find it they would have contacted 2ndline, the same department that mans the newsgroups Chris. Also the same department that a first line agent would have contacted to report it to if you'd have called in.

I'm going to post the newsgroup posts here Chris, for clarity as there seems to be much confusion as to what was the issue of slow speeds and the others you have mentioned.

i wouldnt, theres already been a complaint to the VM CEO about u to the mods

---------- Post added at 22:46 ---------- Previous post was at 22:43 ----------

At the end of the day what have i done wrong? Posted what VM have told me on different dates and because it didnt happen to agree with what u said u have turned this forum which is supposed to be for helping people into a farce and then try and cross examine someone who has only come on to ask for help and support in the first place and its really sad.

As i said i know i aint done any wrong and i also know that these posts are being watched by VM CEO and the mods as i have been told by the CEO Office and i really dont have anything at all to hide.

MovedGoalPosts
19-03-2009, 23:01
Welshhris and xocemp I stronly suggest you now ignore each other's posts. You are both in danger of falling foul of our terms of use "You will not: Provoke others or cause trouble. If you wish to argue with people then go to instant messenger or email."

xocemp
19-03-2009, 23:10
Arh the victim again.
I'm not having a go Chris, you made your case quite clear that you were being lied to at the start of this thread and despite being told otherwise by more than just me you claimed your evidence to be beyond dispute. You are the one waking this thread with updates not me or the others that have questioned your reasoned/logical trouble shooting.
As said before, you took 2 or more problems to be that of the same issue, though you seem unwilling to take that onboard.
I don't see how I have turned a 'help' site into a farce by asking questions, pointing out which department does what, how the ISPA will proceed, who the CEO will contact for advice. Advice was given to you Chris though you prefered to cause a <expleative> storm with the ISPA and CEO, again advice was given to work with the guys in the groups.

I find this laughable "someone who has only come on to ask for help and support in the first place and its really sad"
You slate VM and its support at any chance given, you advise other forum members to move to another provider yet you don't take your own advice.

What are the CEO going to do to me? This is a public forum, who said I work for VM.

Can you make this more clear, are you saying the CF staff and the CEO of VM are working together on your behalf to somehow have me stopped?

Should I have my lawyer ready Cable Forum and CEO for VirginMedia?

i wouldnt, theres already been a complaint to the VM CEO about u to the mods

MovedGoalPosts
19-03-2009, 23:17
I give up. Thread closed.