PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my broadband during peak hours

Aniero
01-03-2009, 19:05
I have had the modem for around 6 months and 2 months ago I decided to upgrade from 2MB broadband to 10MB, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the problem but this issue started arising around the new year, my broadband basically comes to a standstill and becomes extremely slow(response times, 10kb/s downloads and streaming games becomes nearly impossible) I haven't breached the STM window and rarely download even outside of it, I'm wondering if anyone has a solution or can tell me the issue?

This problem only happens during peak hours, my speed is somewhat perfect outside of around 14:00-02:00

Area - Clydebank G81 2SF
Provider - Virgin Media
Modem - Intel(R) 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection
Speed - 10 MB

Downstream Receive Power Level : -1.1 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 40.5 dB
Upstream transmit Power Level : 45.0 dBmV

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb253/Ratbiter/Untitled-1.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb253/Ratbiter/WoW.jpg

General Maximus
01-03-2009, 19:20
dude, the intel bit is the make and model of your onboard Network Interface Card (NIC) inside your pc. If your cable modem is new it should be an Ambit 200 or 250 with a Virgin Media sticker on the front. Anyways, looking at your signal levels, I have a sneaking feeling your downstream SNR is a tad too high which is what is causing your packet loss.

Peter_
01-03-2009, 20:34
I have had the modem for around 6 months and 2 months ago I decided to upgrade from 2MB broadband to 10MB, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the problem but this issue started arising around the new year, my broadband basically comes to a standstill and becomes extremely slow(response times, 10kb/s downloads and streaming games becomes nearly impossible) I haven't breached the STM window and rarely download even outside of it, I'm wondering if anyone has a solution or can tell me the issue?

This problem only happens during peak hours, my speed is somewhat perfect outside of around 14:00-02:00

Area - Clydebank G81 2SF
Provider - Virgin Media
Modem - Intel(R) 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection
Speed - 10 MB

Downstream Receive Power Level : -1.1 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 40.5 dB
Upstream transmit Power Level : 45.0 dBmV

From what you say it sounds as if the uBR you are connected to is suffering from high traffic at peak times.

Your power levels are fine and the SNR is right in middle of its range, so that is not the issue.

Probably best to call Tech Support tomorrow and see if the is a local issue.

Aniero
01-03-2009, 22:24
Is there a number I can call to get local technical support, I called twice and got Indian technical support and didn't seem to understand my problem and kept insisting that my firewall was causing it(I don't have one) and that I had a virus interupting my connection(I scanned earlier with AVG, Ad-aware and spybot.) They asked me to call when the problem is really really bad, they said they found an error connecting to me but that I was to call back when its absolutely terrible so they can pin point the issue...it seemed like they were just saying stuff to hang up on me, which worked.

So is there any number I could call to get "professional" help with my connection or anyone have something I could say which would stop them from going over really basic stuff which I've checked alot of times?

Peter_
01-03-2009, 22:32
Is there a number I can call to get local technical support, I called twice and got Indian technical support and didn't seem to understand my problem and kept insisting that my firewall was causing it(I don't have one) and that I had a virus interupting my connection(I scanned earlier with AVG, Ad-aware and spybot.) They asked me to call when the problem is really really bad, they said they found an error connecting to me but that I was to call back when its absolutely terrible so they can pin point the issue...it seemed like they were just saying stuff to hang up on me, which worked.

So is there any number I could call to get "professional" help with my connection or anyone have something I could say which would stop them from going over really basic stuff which I've checked alot of times?
The numbers to call are below, if you have a Virgin landline and specifically want a UK agent all you can do is call and if you get the wrong voice hang up and redial as the call is free.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 3 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.